What's your last line (so far)?

Spiral Stairs

Registered
Reaction score
We have threads on first lines and favorite lines, which are entertaining. How about posting your last (most recently written) line?

Here's mine: (I have to include a couple lines in order for it to make any semblance of sense.)

“This is totally crazy.”

“I know. It is. But I live with it every day. Pretty soon it won’t seem so far out there to you either,” MacDonald said. He clapped his palms to his knees as though preparing to rise from the bench. “Welp, any questions?”

“Have you ever tasted it?”

“Hell no.”

Denryu

The Inevitable Crash
Registered
Reaction score
Website
subsequentvisions.com
Likewise, without a few lines this just isn't going to make a damn lick of sense:

“I'm afraid that this has become a war over power and greed and that it has very little to do with Neptune's resources any longer,” Admiral SanPaul said. “But saying so now would only drag out these pointless battles further. I'm hoping by stepping back and letting that fool from Star 16 have his way we may be able to end this war quickly. Regardless of who wins, that's best for everyone, so continue playing the villain for now. I'll contact you if anything changes.”

OMG! My Plot! How I've missed you!

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
"You know, boy, girl, together at a restaurant. Some people here might think we're on a date."

Denryu

The Inevitable Crash
Registered
Reaction score
Website
subsequentvisions.com
"You know, boy, girl, together at a restaurant. Some people here might think we're on a date."

Haha. *applauds* Sage, I've gotta say, every time I read your sentences I think 'god, I'd love to see the context this was said in.'

edgyllama

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Pulp fantasy madness:

Thorkettle caught movement out of the corner of his eye. Asha was above the pit and chucked a piece of rock onto the beast's head. It looked up. Thorkettle rolled under the the beast and grabbed its axe. The beast whirled and swiped once, missing him, then again, missing. Thorkettle waited for the tail but saw it swipe again. He got of the way but not quite in time; a claw grazed his side, sending pain through his body. Thorkettle gripped his axe tigher.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
From "Lock and Keystone":

"Come on, Marvin, talk to me. This is me, Katrina."

"I know your name."

"You know a lot more than that about me."

Despite himself, Marvin's ears burned with embarassment. They'd kissed in the dreamscape and a few times in reality, but the mischievous lilt in her voice made it sound like much, much more. He glanced guiltily at the older men next to the door who stared pointedly straight ahead like proper guards, but both men had hints of smiles.

:D

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Shit, I've been writing in disorder so I've got no idea. Hang on.

Nah, it's lame. I'll just wait until I write something more interesting :)

*edits line out*

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I said that earlier (but left the line in).

Here's my current one:

The bread must take precedence, always.

That's a fun one. Actually I think I'll stick it in the favorite lines thread; it's the first one I've noticed that I like so far.

SilverPhoenix

Revisions, revisions, revisions
Registered
Reaction score
My very last lines ^^

In the reflections of her own tears, falling like snow, she could see his smile again.
Saorsia shut her eyes tight and materialised a knife in her trembling fingers.

Blind, she engraved the smile into the back of her left hand, scarring the perfect crescent of a moon at Twilight into her skin.
She would never forget his Sacrifice.

GeorgieB

Almost a wannabe writer
Registered
Reaction score
Remember, this is a fairy tale

You asked for it:

The Limp Prince rode away from the castle of Espibona, vowing that if the trip to the Castle of the Seven Dwarfs did not yield the most beautiful woman in the world who could cure his problem, he would join the Order of the Never Getting Laid Monk and Monkesses.

(You can write what you want in a fairy tale).

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Here are the very last lines of my novel :)

Cerró los ojos. Las voces habían cambiado. Lily y Eva le gritaban que las alcanzara, que ya se le había hecho tarde. Una vez más disfrutaba de sus voces infantiles, de cuando los tres eran niños y todo era perfecto. Antes de que la vida interfiriera con su perfección. Las pequeñas voces infantiles lo acompañaron, se lo llevaron. Por fin había alcanzado su meta.

translated said:
He closed his eyes. The voices had changed. Lily and Eva yelled for him to catch up with them, he was already late. Once more he enjoyed their childish voices from when the three of them were young and everything was perfect. Before life interferred with their perfection. The childish voices accompanied him, took him away. He'd finally reached his goal.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
New last line:

It was incredible that he should set off without knowing that his passengers were aboard.

But it certainly looked like he had done that very thing.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
This one's half-decent:

"Of course, you always win," she complained.
"You just beat me the game before this!" Alicia ignored him and kept on eating. Alan looked at Lily, begging for help with his eyes, but she seemed to be ignoring him with her eyes gazing out the window."

Lousy translation :tongue

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
I should prefice this by saying my MC doesn't have kids. She is babysitting them with the help of Mr. Hawtness when her mom comes over for dinner.

There was that look in her eye again when she saw us all standing together – me, AJ, and the kids. I was going to get a very long pep talk the next time my mom called, and I strongly suspected it would involve relationships and her biological clock.

Denryu

The Inevitable Crash
Registered
Reaction score
Website
subsequentvisions.com
"Well," Shou said, dropping the vegetables into the broth. "What do you want me to say? Welcome to the world. Lifetime memberships are free."

David wrinkled his nose. "If they weren't," he said, "I'd be asking for a refund about now."

Gollum

Registered
Reaction score
"He returned now to the direction that would take him to the next city through the hundreds of unmarked and poorly lit roads in the forest, when one of his feet found itself without ground and, pulled by gravity, he sliped and fell until the surface again became horizontal and his speed dimished."

This is a poor translation from portuguese, but it should work.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Ooooo, here's a winner!

Maybe she'd get so drunk he could take her to his place without her protesting.

That sounds so wrong!! :ROFL: But it's a pretty innocent line in its context, I swear!

Spiral Stairs

Registered
Reaction score
Current last line ... (Wow, does this look silly.)

“Ah, yes, this is what we expected. Our own first attempts to manufacture Fatlock Six have yielded a similar looking substance. So this is the elixir on which the American food economy hangs its last hope of resisting the inevitable domination of Chinese innovation and industry?” The Farmer laughed. Warren had never seen this side of him.

FTJoshua

What's a narrative engine?!
Registered
Reaction score
Having a nicotine crave is like an itch deep in your chest that cannot be scratched without tearing out your ribcage. Something like that.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
He rolled his eyes at her and mouthed, "Idiots."