AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outskirts Press

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar

Outskirts Press

Looks like we can add “custom publishing” to the growing list of “We’re not vanity!” pseudonyms.

http://www.outskirtspress.com/main.php4

Check out what you get for your money:

http://www.outskirtspress.com/tour2.php4#prepub

Be sure to read the testimonials.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Learning!
    I can't understand why ANYONE would go with a company that makes you choose a cover template. I've never seen an attractive template that would actualy make me want to buy the book. And WOW! Only $75 to make your book into an EBOOK!
    I'm nobody! Who are you?
    Are you nobody, too?
    Then there's a pair of us — don't tell!
    They'd banish us, you know.

How dreary to be somebody!
    How public, like a frog
    To tell your name the livelong day
    To an admiring bog!

Absolutely Fazed
    Seems a rather significant sign of a vanity publisher is if the home page is more geared toward authors than toward readers.

Outskirts Press

Oooo, check out all their new services: http://www.outskirtspress.com/publishinginformation.php
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Dreamer
    Hay, it's a better deal than PublishAmerica in the long run.

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    "Custom publishing" can also mean "We are a full-service print-and-bind operation."

It looks to me like an imaging and printing outfit is having a fling at this POD self-publishing stuff, giving Lightning Source a run for their money. I may have my doubts about the value of their marketing and distribution programs, but the Outskirts website speaks the language of physical book production with clear enunciation and a standard accent.

I don't think these people are crooks. I could be wrong, but that's not the vibe I get. Could be they're clueless in some areas, maybe, but they're quite knowledgeable in others. Scammers don't generally acquire real expertise about anything but scamming. And while I don't think I'd go for one of Outskirts' package deals if I were looking to self-publish a book, you could look farther and find worse than what they offer.

Ah! Thanks, Hapi, you learned me a new term today.

FWIW, I never got the "crook" vibe from them either, since they do go to great lengths to explain what one gets for the money. So, yes, they are better than many out there in that regard. And I love their site graphics.
    ICAO
    ---------

Empirical Storm Trooper MadScientistMatt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux
    Ah! Thanks, Hapi, you learned me a new term today.

FWIW, I never got the "crook" vibe from them either, since they do go to great lengths to explain what one gets for the money. So, yes, they are better than many out there in that regard. And I love their site graphics.
    Yeah, it takes a special sort of sense for light and color to display dark gemstones on a solid black background the way they do.

Casey1
    Can anyone shed any light on Outskirts Press?

Self-publishing outfit that starts at 999.000. Nuff said.

Tri

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    Casey1, the mods will probably split this off into its own thread. If you're asking about this outfit:

http://www.outskirtspress.com/

they look like a rather expensive self publishing service. You pay between $200 and $1000 for them to format your book for printing, design a cover, and assign your book an ISBN. The books are available by POD: each copy gets printed after someone orders it and pays for it. They do offer the option of hardback, or full cover interior, which many places don't. But you'll notice that on their "testimonials" page, their customers talk about having book signings at bakeries, or the attractive aspects of the ad that the customer paid to have inserted in a newspaper; nobody is talking about having sold thousands of copies.

If you've decided that self publishing is right for you, then I'd suggest you compare Outskirts to some other self publishers, such as Lulu and CafePress, and see who can service your specific needs at the lowest cost. Consider book format, editing, cover art, printing prices, distribution, and reliability.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Outskirts Press

Anyone used Outskirts Press?

I got the writer's digest email today about this company. Interesting. But not going for it. I'd go with Lulu if I was going to self publish. ANyone use this company or get the writer's digest email I got?

Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
    I check the All About Romance site daily for new reviews, and the cover of a new romance novel is usually featured on this page. The one I saw a couple of days ago had a picture of a woman in clothes reflecting the time period, with the title nicely positioned. Today I visited the website and saw a cover consisting of a sunset landscape. The title was in white (which didn't go well with the sunset colors IMO) and it was centered across the painting as though trying to fill up all the available space.

I had a feeling that the cover wasn't something a commercial publisher had put out so I checked the book on Amazon and saw that it was printed by "Outskirts Press". Didn't know what that was then, but I do now.
    Sleeping Beauty-inspired m/m romance : Editing.

practical experience, FTW cethklein's Avatar
    I've also found another key means of knowing if a publisher is vanity, if they say they're going to "revolutionize the industry" This line seems to be popular lately.

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    A certain Karl Schroeder has just commented on a blog post of mine, praising Outskirts Press.

He has written that he's a consultant for Outskirts: I've responded to him (and linked back to here, naturally), and am glad that he's prepared to enter into the debate: but his blog links heavily to Outskirts, and makes all sorts of claims in favour of self-publishing and against mainstream publishing which I find somewhat misleading. It's not one I'd rely on if I were in search of solid advice about the publishing industry.

I hope he's going to engage with me in some good, informed discussion, rather than just repeating the rhetoric that his blog is built on: fingers crossed, eh?

Outskirt's latest "service" -- your book cover on postage stamps (via WB Blogs): http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2009/0...promotion.html
    ICAO
    ---------

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    Isn't that what a few PA authors are attempting?
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

practical experience, FTW MickRooney's Avatar
    Something as well that has been available from the US postage service for a fraction of the price. Chances are Outskirts Press are using that very service and passing it on to authors heavily marked up!

I find it a little disconcerting that their banner ad just popped up on the Absolute Water Cooler front page. . . .guess my browsing is following me.

Finding Beauty In Negative Spaces KyraDune's Avatar

Outskirts Press

I was thinking of self publishing my new novel through http://outskirtspress.com/authorcenter1.php Are they a good company to use?
    Fantasy Fiction Author

http://kyradune.weebly.com/

Thread surfer and virtual bartender L. Y.'s Avatar
    I think this might be the thread you're looking for. <link snipped>

It is an older thread--the last post on it was dated 7-31-2011.
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 10-31-2012 at 07:12 PM. Reason: threads merged, thanks!
    Write. Edit. Rinse, repeat.

Edit with your head. Write with your heart.

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Outskirts Press is a vanity publisher. If you pay someone else to self publish your novel for you, you're not self publishing.

I've reviewed several books from Outskirts: they were without exception very poorly edited, typeset and designed. I would not recommend them if those books are representative of the books they publish.

Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar
    Wow, you can save 25% by buying ten or more copies of OP's books! No prizes for guessing who they're selling them to...

practical experience, FTW thorjansen's Avatar
    Wow, they say you can say goodbye to rejection! Solid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast