WL Children's Agency / Children's Literary Agency

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I am a single mom of 5 children. I work 4 jobs and am barely scraping by. I can't afford to make the wrong choice.

Fortunately for you, none of the right choices will cost you money--and any choice that costs you money is automatically a wrong choice.

Do I need an agent? What publishers should I be approaching??

You'll find answers to these questions in the "Children's Literature" studio here (read the stickied threads first) and in resources like the Writer's Market guides, which should be available at your local library (or obtainable for you through inter-library loan).

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I appreciate your input about CLA. I was very nearly duped by them too. It was this blog that made me decide not to send them my manuscript. I was also nearly taken in by Publish America. I am not usually easily fooled and the fact that within a couple of days I nearly bought it twice..... Well I can only say I am totally gun shy now. I am a single mom of 5 children. I work 4 jobs and am barely scraping by. I can't afford to make the wrong choice. Do I need an agent? What publishers should I be approaching?? My book is fully edited (it is a picture book of 1294 words). I know it is a good book and that it is worthy of publishing... I just can't seem to get it started in the right direction. Publish America said I needed to have the book illustrated prior to publishing. I thought legit Publishers make the decisions on who to have illustrate??

Thank you for your time in this,

I hope I can find some answers here

Why don't you try this agent http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/Mandelman/

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Do I need an agent?

While not absolutely required, an agent is very helpful (particularly at the contract stage). A useful agent has sold books you've heard of. Do not ever, for any reason, pay an agent anything. The money an agent makes comes as a percentage of what the book earns when it sells.

Asking you to pay for a critique is no part of an agent's business.

What publishers should I be approaching??

Go to your local bookstore. What publishers have books similar to yours sitting on the shelves? Those are the publishers you should be approaching. Get copies of their guidelines (yours for a self-addressed-stamped-envelope, if they aren't on the publishers' websites) and follow those guidelines to the letter.

My book is fully edited (it is a picture book of 1294 words).

I hope you didn't pay an editor.

Publish America said I needed to have the book illustrated prior to publishing. I thought legit Publishers make the decisions on who to have illustrate??

In the general scheme of things, unless you personally are an artist, the publisher will select an artist. You will not have to pay the artist -- the publisher does that.

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
Publish America said I needed to have the book illustrated prior to publishing. I thought legit Publishers make the decisions on who to have illustrate??

What legit publishers do and what Publisher America does are two different things. Don't touch PA, no matter how great the temptation. Absolute Write has hundreds of thousands of posts on the topic, all kept in their own folder.

Search for publishers who publish books like yours. Submit a manuscript in perfect accordance with their guidelines. Repeat as necessary.

Cheri

Registered
Reaction score
WL Childrens Agency

My mum has had dealings with these people too - she is about to sign a contract with them - is this not a good thing to be doing ? If she shouldn't be signing anything with these people - can anybody advise who she should be speaking to ???

Many thanks

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
My mum has had dealings with these people too - she is about to sign a contract with them - is this not a good thing to be doing ? If she shouldn't be signing anything with these people - can anybody advise who she should be speaking to ???

Many thanks

Absolutely this is NOT a good thing to do.
Your mother could do far worse than come to this site and have a long look around.
Agentquery.com has extensive listings of reputable agents and anyone she is interested in should be cross-checked with Preditors and Editors http://www.invirtuo.cc/prededitors/

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Many thanks

Make sure your mother does NOT sign with this "agency". Have her come to this site and take a look around. Especially direct her to the How Real Publishing Works thread here on the Bewares and Background Check forum.

Reasons to avoid this "agency": 1) Have never sold a book in their/its life and 2) Have you cough up money for various things that you don't have to pay for (like a critique of your story, for example).

In a few words - they're out to get your money.

Don't have your mother fall for it. Direct her here to the Water Cooler, let her have a look around (she can lurk if she wants to, although registering is free, as you've found out :)). This place has taught me quite a bit about publishing - the do's as well as the don't's.

And this place is one big fat DON'T! :)

Oh, and :welcome: and the same to your mother, if she decides to have a look-see.

~Nancy

Sezzannazaza

Took it as far as I am prepared to: The contract (attached) lasts for 2 years. They assume lots of powers but they bind you to a previous agreement to work with their 3rd party editors and illustrators....

and not once did they mention my work by name or ever send me a paragraph on what they liked about it. I thought everyone should see it so was agreeable to them to this point.

Hi I am a children's writer/thriller writer/ sonnetier from the UK. Working on my first novel so you may see me around *s*

Daniel

I too have received one of their contracts. I had no idea there was so much bad publicity over this group. I signed for one year. This was about 9 months ago. They asked me to pay out about $90 for a critique - which I did! Since then It has been very slow, but recently they announced a very new publishing company had contacted them looking for new authors. This publisher was called Strategic book publishing? I went down all the avenues they wanted me to. I submitted my manuscript plus the illustrations. They were slow in responding but did get back with a manuscript review. It was not a bad review, there were even lines of correction written, which did actually sound better. Over all I thought the review was very good and very informative! However they then announced that they felt I may be too much of a risk (being unknown!) They felt I was more suited to their Eloquent Book publishers who did not want a "Traditional" publishing contract but would offer me a joint venture contract - 50/50% royalties. However to proceed, they have advised me to pay for an edit one last and final time at $100. Plus to fund $675 towards the joint venture which pays for the printing, the layout, ISBN number, marketing, web site and cover page.
I have been thinking very seriously about this, but I can ill afford to pay out this amount. After reading all the comments on here I am now very dubious, perhaps I'll wait until the agency contract runs out then try to find another agent!

The contract I have is not too dissimilar to yours. Headed; WL CLA Literary Agency. Some paragraphs are different. The agent’s commission on mine is 10%. There was only a 6 month or 12 month contract - I chose the 12 months! My dealings have all been via e-mail and I have not once spoken to anyone over the phone. Even my contract was done via e-mail.

If anyone has further information on this company that will help me or advice, I will be extremely grateful!

Sez x

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
WL Children's Literary Agency and Strategic Book Publishing AND Eloquent Books are all owned by the same person...Robert Fletcher.

Go to Writer Beware (www.writerbeware.com) and read the ALERT posted there about this company and the official investigation launched by the Florida Attorney General's Office into them and their business practices.

-Ann C. Crispin
Chair, Writer Beware
www.writerbeware.com

Sezzannazaza

Thanks for all the info! I definitely wont be letting them have anymore money from me! I just hope my story is still safe?! After all they have x2 of my manuscripts and some of my illustrations! Not sure if I can get out of the contract now. If I manage to get a publishing deal with someone else I do believe they are entitled to a cut until the contract has expired?! Glad I checked them out before going any further!

Does anyone think self publishing is the way to go? Just to get your foot in the door?! Authorhouse seems to pop up a lot, I did consider this at one stage, hope that's not another scam!!!!

This sites been a great help.....probably saved me from a terrible fall! Thanks so much!!! ;-) x

Sez

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
I just hope my story is still safe?! After all they have x2 of my manuscripts and some of my illustrations!

WL won't do anything with your manuscripts. They fleece authors of their cash, not their work.

Not sure if I can get out of the contract now. If I manage to get a publishing deal with someone else I do believe they are entitled to a cut until the contract has expired?!

Send them a registered letter severing the relationship. Tell them you won't send them any more money or buy any more services. That should do it.

Does anyone think self publishing is the way to go? Just to get your foot in the door?!

Self-publishing is not a good idea for new fiction writers. You'll end up spending money and probably selling only a handful of books.

Try querying legit agents. Use AgentQuery.com to search for agents who represent the kind of novels you write. Then double-check them here on the Bewares and Background Checks board.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Sezz, many writers will spend months or years working on their books and only a matter of hours, if that, learning how, and to whom to send their work. Don't be among them. A hundred+ hours of homework, conducted at this site and others, can save you from wasting your efforts and/or being fleeced by dubious agents/publishers.

Sezzannazaza

Authorhouse also falls under the category of "Nah, I wouldn't". See this thread:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694

It's a long read.

Thanks for the information! - Interesting, although there seems to be mixed reviews on this "1st Books"!

I now have to deal with my "so" called agent from WL childrens Agency! I now wonder if I'm even e-mailing a woman, perhaps I've been speaking to this Fletcher bloke all along! Maybe I'll lay low for a while...they may get the hint! I've already received a reminder for my edit at $100! You think if I keep quiet - they'll go away!!!!

So glad I found this site....There is a God!

Sez ;-) xx

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Thanks for the information! - Interesting, although there seems to be mixed reviews on this "1st Books"!

I now have to deal with my "so" called agent from WL childrens Agency! I now wonder if I'm even e-mailing a woman, perhaps I've been speaking to this Fletcher bloke all along! Maybe I'll lay low for a while...they may get the hint! I've already received a reminder for my edit at $100! You think if I keep quiet - they'll go away!!!!

So glad I found this site....There is a God!

Sez ;-) xx

Please don't just lurk. If anything, contact Ann Crispin. She has information on how to help shut them down and will give you directions on who to contact (Florida Attorney General) and what to offer them in the way of evidence that could make it happen. Heck, you might even get your money back.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
If anyone has further information on this company that will help me

Further information? The Florida Attorney General is looking for people who've had dealings with these folks. Tell 'em about the money they've charged you, and what success you've had.

or advice, I will be extremely grateful!

Advice? Here's advice: You don't need an agent to place your book with a vanity press. They're running a vanity press. They're "selling" your book to themselves.

Run away. And tell the Florida Attorney General what you've just told us.

Last edited:

Sezzannazaza

Florida Attorney General - WL Childrens agency

Further information? The Florida Attorney General is looking for people who've had dealings with these folks. Tell 'em about the money they've charged you, and what success you've had.

Advice? Here's advice: You don't need an agent to place your book with a vanity press. They're running a vanity press. They're "selling" your book to themselves.

Run away. And tell the Florida Attorney General what you've just told us.

I have now found the e-mail address for the Florida Attorney General, listing the case number. I have told them everything. I do hope no one else gets fooled by these people.

I hope doing my little bit will help :) x

Thanks to all of you, for your great advice.

possibleimp

Registered
Reaction score
I am so thankful to you people who do your homework. Thank God for internet and blogs! I'm one of the naive artists out there. Thanks, hon!

Leigha

Registered
Reaction score
this stinks!

Well heck! I was all excited because someone showed interest in my childrens book. I suppose I should have known it was too good to be true. He was the first I sent it to and it was accepted right away. Then I read this post. Well I suppose better to find out now rather than later.
I shall drag myself back to the drawing board.

Getting very discouraged! But not ready to give up.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Getting very discouraged! But not ready to give up.

No reason to get discouraged.

Being accepted by Bouncing Bobby Fletcher is not an indictment of your writing ability. He accepts good books, bad books and mediocre books. He isn't concerned with the quality of your work, just the quantity in your checkbook.

Give yourself a little bit to let this wash over you and then get back to submitting to "real" agents or "real" publishers.

Also, if you're interested, we have a good area to get critique on your work in the "Share Your Work" areas here on the board, plus the "Childrens Books" area might be a good place to exchange ideas and tips with other writers in your genre!

Good luck.

Also, you might want to get ahold of Ann Crispin. She has the information to contact the FL Attorney General's office, who're "very" interested in Bobby Fletcher's behaviors.

etnhome

Registered
Reaction score
Whew...am I ever glad to have found this thread. I was a bit skeptical when I got a positve review email quickly and decided to do a little digging. Hooray for me, right? I think I will try to find an agency in Tennesse who might be into Children's literature. If anyone has suggestions, then let me know. Keep up the good work! ~Cathy in Knoxville TN

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I think I will try to find an agency in Tennesse who might be into Children's literature.

99% of all (real) agents live and work in New York. Finding one in Tennessee is going to be difficult and, frankly, pointless. It's not like you're going to be lunching together.

The real question is not: "How close do they live to me?" -- it's: "What have they sold?"

Track record of sales. Accept no substitutes.