• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Pinder Lane & Garon-Brooke Associates

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
I have an excellent gut feeling about Bob Thixton, HapiSofi, and I don't believe he had any intent but to gauge the salability of my mss. He said quite clearly that he was sending it out to one editor he was well-acquainted with for some feedback. A feeler for market viability, perhaps?

An agent may like a writer's mss, but not be able to sell it to a publishing house, no matter how deeply the story resounds with the lit agent (Veritas used that as a means to reject the same mss a month prior to PLGB's read). My primary concern was a lack of response from Bob to my follow-up email. Giving this the benefit of the doubt, maybe he's out of town, maybe his spam filter killed my email, who knows? And he seems to have some integrity on this site.

In regards to this situation, I take responsibility for not asking how long the process would require. I just wanted to find out if anyone else had a similar experience (with PLGB or any other agent).

Thanks for everyone's input, much appreciated!

-Maddie

Donnettetxgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donnettesmith.com
I whole-heartedly believe Thixton is on the up-and-up. As far as Kelly Mortimer, she is a well established lit agent. Her sales record is impressive. She also requested the first 3 chapters of one of my novels. I'm waiting to hear from her.

Good luck, Maddie. Keep faith.

Donnette Smith
www.freewebs.com/romanceauthor
www.myspace.com/storycreater

AlterEgox5

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
abooksellerblog.blogspot.com
So, I take it that the original literary agency (Pinder Lane & Garon-Brooke Associates, Ltd.) is now gone? When I went looking today, I just found Pinder Lane Productions - with Robert Thixton as one of the owners.

Agents come and agents go, eh?

...Yep. Kelly Mortimer now has her own agency, so I guess that confirms it.

Last edited:

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
So, I take it that the original literary agency (Pinder Lane & Garon-Brooke Associates, Ltd.) is now gone? When I went looking today, I just found Pinder Lane Productions - with Robert Thixton as one of the owners.

They still have Pinder-Lane & Garon-Brooke Associates as an affiliated company handling the literary side. Bob currently has a partial of my most recent mss (2/28/11). Best to query in writing with SASE - though if Bob asks for material, he'll usually telephone you or send an email.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Bob yesterday via e-mail and got a response literally 25 minutes later for the first three chapters. Then a hour later he asked for the next three. I emailed him if he had any thoughts, and Bob said he hadn't had a chance to read the last three, but made a good critique. So, I'm hopeful!

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations lweinberg. What address did you use? Querytracker says he only takes snail mail. Did you include samples and synopsis?

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations lweinberg. What address did you use? Querytracker says he only takes snail mail. Did you include samples and synopsis?

Thanks, Kmarshall! I forget where I found him to be honest, so many sites and all, but it said he does accept e-queries and to just include the query. The email I sent to was at [email protected]

Good Luck!

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. He came back quickly with a request for the 1st thee chapters. Sent them off a couple of hours ago.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Nice! Hope he comes back for the next three. I just looked and it took him 2 1/2 hours to write me back requesting the chapters 4 - 6.

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
Not so much here. Hope that's not a bad sign. Still, it IS a Saturday. :) He's a responder either way, right?

KAP

Hangin' with the gargies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keithpyeatt.com
He doesn't always respond. I queried him by mail early in '10. He emailed a request for 3 chapters (to be emailed). I emailed them, didn't hear back, prompted 6 weeks later, still didn't hear back.

kap

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I agree with KAP, he doesn't always respond on requests. He requested a partial from me in 2009 and never responded even when I nudged.

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
It's true, Bob's a great person, but he often fails to respond, even when he seems utterly excited about a project. I have learned to gauge this lack of response as a lack of interest. But, best of luck to you, lweinberg18 and Kmarshall. Here's to hoping!

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't hear back from him after I sent him chapters 4 - 6, so being anxious I emailed him, and surprisingly he responded quickly and said he hadn't a chance to read them yet, but he did give me a "primarily" critique. So hopefully that's a good sign :-\

Kmarshall- I'd assume since it's Saturday he didn't get to it. Just like yesterday I assumed he hadn't read chapters 4 - 6 because it was Friday...and I was right! Haha

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
Well, we'll see how it goes. lweinberg, you're experience is a great one! I'll temper my expectations to the usual 4-8 week partial time. If I don't hear then, I'll nudge and see what happens. I have fulls out since mid Feb. that I'm getting anxious about.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the full's! I've only started querying last week so no full's yet. I have noticed I get a lot of personal rejection responses. I don't know if that's usual or not. I'm to about 15 now Lol

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
I have those too. From what I gather, it means the agent respects the work and recognized it's good, but it's just not for him/her.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
That's good to know. Thanks for the insight!

TerryRodgers

Registered
Reaction score
Robert Thixton's bio for this year's ThrillerFest states:

My basic preference is thrillers and suspense (contemporary or historical), contemporary literary fiction and non-fiction (women and men), Y/A historical fantasy, some sci-fi.

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
Robert Thixton's bio for this year's ThrillerFest states:

My basic preference is thrillers and suspense (contemporary or historical), contemporary literary fiction and non-fiction (women and men), Y/A historical fantasy, some sci-fi.
Thanks for posting that!
Cheers!