• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Pinder Lane & Garon-Brooke Associates

Donnettetxgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donnettesmith.com
Here's what I found on P&E under his name http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/pealr.htm

Here's what I found on P&E about his partner, Dick Duane http://anotherealm.com/prededitors/peald.htm

They both have dollar signs next to their names. That's a good sign.

Here's also an article I found online about one of his newest client's http://www.heritage.com/articles/2009/12/04/ypsilanti_courier/news/doc4b17ecb39b6f6500625820.txt

He seems like a great agent who knows what he wants & knows his business.

Donnette Smith
www.freewebs.com/romanceauthor
www.myspace.com/storycreater

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
Hi Donnette,

Bob Thixton strikes me as personable, professional, and open to a wide range of genre. I read the article about the 17-year-old author, and was impressed by Bob Thixton's enthusiasm.

TerryRodgers

Registered
Reaction score
Finished my edits and sent the full off to Bob yesterday. So we shall see.

iwannabepublished

working hard - hard at work?
Banned
Reaction score
I sent Bob Thixton an e-mail query last night. He called this afternoon and asked for the first five chapters. I almost fell off my chair. After so many rejections this sure is a welcome change.

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
Snail mail seems to be PLGB's preference. Bob Thixton will call right away if he determines he wants additional material. I mailed a cover letter and a separate (short) synopsis, and based on that, things moved forward, as Bo Thixton telephoned 3 days after I mailed the query.

Donnettetxgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donnettesmith.com
email queries, huh? Didn't know Bob Thixton accepted them. I snail mailed mine. Took about a month & I recieved an email from his assistant asking for the first 3 chapters which he requested I email. I did & a week later I also recieved a phone call from Bob. He had some wonderful things to say & asked for an exlcusive on the rest of the ms.

I know what you mean, Kenteicher, If I'd have been sitting down when I answered the phone, I would have about fallen out of my chair too. I had a strange reaction when I got off the phone though. I started laughing & couldn't stop. My husband stood there patiently waiting for me to stop & tell him who had called. It was such a shock to hear from him. And you're right, after so many rejections that phone call reminded me why I contine to persue this dream.

Donnette Smith

iwannabepublished

working hard - hard at work?
Banned
Reaction score
Bob Thixton turned down my manuscript. But, he is a real gentleman agent. Instead of the standard 'not for me', he told me what he didn't like about my opening chapter in detail. If that wasn't enough, he went ahead and edited the first eight pages! By they way, his correct e-mail address is - [email protected]

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
I'm just curious if anyone else has had the following experience with Pinder Lane & Garon-Brooke Associates:

After sending requested material to Bob Thixton, he eventually came to a point where he asked my permission (by email) to show my mss to an editor at a publishing house he has had a long association with (to get her feedback). His email stated he needed my written permission to preserve his possible future commission; however, he did not send me a contract or ask me to sign with his agency.

That was almost 2 months ago. I followed up with an email a week ago as a sort of friendly inquiry as to the status, and have had absolutely no reply from Bob, which concerns me. I can take rejection, but con-communication puts this in a gray area. Being that it's such a strange situation, I don't know if I should move on - and yet, because I granted permission, even without a contract I have committed a preference to PLGB for the rights to represent me and this mss.

Anyone have a suggestion how to handle the next step? Or similar experience?

TerryRodgers

Registered
Reaction score
First off, this is great news Maggie. This means Bob believes in your material and is doing some intial shopping. Since you did not sign with the agency you have every right to continue to shop around. Bob only wanted to make sure that you were okay with sending your manuscript to an editor. Some old school agents still believe in the oral agreement. To me this is acceptable. To have an old school agent like Bob is huge in the industry. I say send him an email every couple of weeks if he hasn't responded. It could be that the publisher just hasn't gotten to your manuscript.

This simliar scenario happened to me with another agent. The agent already represented several writers in my genre, so he didn't want to add more. But, he liked the premise and my writing so he sent it to an editor he knew. He figured if it were a quick hit then he'd spend more time with me and my manuscript. The editor passed, gave me a decent write up, and even said I could resubmit. I have the editor's email address and hopefully when I'm ready I'll resbmit. Maybe even with Bob. lol

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
Thanks, Terry, for your upbeat response. My primary concern is Bob's lack of response after one week. He has been previously very communicative.

-Maddie

Donnettetxgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donnettesmith.com
Maddie, I agree with Terry. From what you've stated here, Bob does seem old school. I'm sure his request isn't unusual given the circumstances. And it is good news. Waiting is often the hardest part. But I know what you mean about the communication issue. Infortunately, that doesn't seem all that unusual either when it comes to quite a few agents.

It's totally up to you whether or not you want to continue submitting to other agents, I think. You don't have a contract yet. You may have stated this earlier in this thread, but did he ask for an exclusive? If he did, I'm not quite sure what I'd do in your shoes.

Donnette Smith

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
Yes, he did ask for an exclusive - once he read the first 3 chpt - and then before the 2 week exclusive period elapsed, he asked for permission to send it to an editor he was quite familiar with. I don't mind the wait, as I understand up to 90 days isn't unusual. I have several mss, and I've been advised not to query other agents (don't want two agents trying to sell two different books from the same author - yikes!) until this item with PLGB is resolved - hopefully with some positive interest in the book, aside from Bob, who seemed very eager. I think I'll just wait and see - perhaps as Terry suggested, Bob hasn't replied because the editor's read and feedback is still pending.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry to disagree with the more encouraging responses, but I feel this is NOT okay. I realize you gave him permission, but he should NOT be sending your book to editors without an agreement of representation between you. This is not in your best interest. You say he preserved his future commission by getting permission from you in writing? What did he preserve for you? Did he get an agreement from the editor that if s/he didn't like it, the book could still be shopped at his/her house or imprint in the future?

I'm really sorry to be negative, Maddie, but it sounds like you must have something really good there if he's gone to such lenghts thus far. I'd seriously encourage you continue searching for an agent. And when you land one, this shouldn't be a deal breaker, but let your new agent know about it immediately. They'll definitely need to know he has some sort of agreement regarding possible commission should the editor go for the book down the road. They'll probably want to handle that conversation w/him themselves.

Sheesh. This makes two successful agents I've heard of doing this. WTF?

:Huh:

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
That was almost 2 months ago. I followed up with an email a week ago as a sort of friendly inquiry as to the status, and have had absolutely no reply from Bob, which concerns me.

Anyone have a suggestion how to handle the next step? Or similar experience?

Sure. Print out that email for your records, also show it to someone who can fully explain to you what you've legally agreed to and your obligations, and then pick up the phone and continue to attempt to contact him and straighten out this situation, at the very least until you're able to discern what is the status of your submission.

And in the future, assuming you do go on to query others (don't know, haven't seen what you agreed to or how this will resolve) you will at some point need to disclose who it was shopped to, but you might also want to consider that it's not in your best interest to let an agent test the waters with your manuscript again without an offer of representation accepted.

But those are just my suggestions. I'm sure others will have their own, and they might disagree. I'll say it again, though--I've come to believe, the hard way, that it's one's responsibility to always watch out for and protect their own self-interests. In any business.

Last edited:

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
Thanks Giant Baby (love your avatar) and Twizzle. Very interesting and sensical advice. Opinions (both public and private) have widely varied on this topic.

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
Opinions (both public and private) have widely varied on this topic.

I can't imagine why.

Though I would be interested in hearing why someone believed it was in your best interest to let an agent (in general) test the waters with your manuscript without an accepted offer of representation. Or even an offer of representation. Or that it's okay for an agent, any agent, to be subsequently nonresponsive. I would.

I'm not trying to be harsh, really. You obviously have something worthwhile-as GB said-and congratulations. And I sincerely hope this turns out very happily for you. But while this does happen, this isn't usual. And it might not be something you want to agree to in the future. But again, jmo.

ETA-I'm in no way commenting on this agent or agency in particular. I have no idea what was agreed to or transpired btwn you. My comments were meant generally, and go to what might be something to consider down the road.

Last edited:

Donnettetxgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donnettesmith.com
Maddie, I feel for you on this. I know you must feel torn between waiting this thing out (especially when he hasn't responded), and going ahead with submitting to other agents at this point. I'm not entirely sure either that you still have an exclusive with him. After all, the time period for the exclusive seems to have lapsed. I agree in that this kind of thing is unfair to the author. At this point, since he has an editor in mind & he seems very interested in the manuscript, it would seem fitting to have a contract in front of you from him. And it seems he's maybe playing it safe (testing the waters before offering a contract). But then again, I have heard of agents doing this sort of thing. I think especially with the economy being what it is. Book sales are being affected to some degree. And I've found right now agents are more selective with what they take on than usual. I know you don't want to blow your chances with this guy incase he does happen to find an editor who loves your book.

So it's a really rough spot to be in. I say go with your gut, Maddie. Take some time to think about it & then decide what is the best for you.

Donnette Smith

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
Thanks, Donnette. I've decided to set aside that particular mss for now, and have been querying on a different one. I got one hit from Mortimer Lit yesterday, so that seems promising. In the meantime, the mss that's in Bob Thixton's hands feels too hot due to this dumb move of mine.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry to disagree with the more encouraging responses, but I feel this is NOT okay. I realize you gave him permission, but he should NOT be sending your book to editors without an agreement of representation between you. This is not in your best interest. You say he preserved his future commission by getting permission from you in writing? What did he preserve for you? Did he get an agreement from the editor that if s/he didn't like it, the book could still be shopped at his/her house or imprint in the future?

I'm really sorry to be negative, Maddie, but it sounds like you must have something really good there if he's gone to such lenghts thus far. I'd seriously encourage you continue searching for an agent. And when you land one, this shouldn't be a deal breaker, but let your new agent know about it immediately. They'll definitely need to know he has some sort of agreement regarding possible commission should the editor go for the book down the road. They'll probably want to handle that conversation w/him themselves.

Sheesh. This makes two successful agents I've heard of doing this. WTF?
Sloppy. Rushed. I think it's unlikely that there's evil intent behind it.

Successful agents tend to move quickly. It's still sloppy procedure, but I don't find it all that alarming. If they turn out to be that sloppy about everything, I'll change my tune.