• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Pinder Lane & Garon-Brooke Associates

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have info (beyond contact/AAR info) on Bob Thixton and Pinder Lane Garon-Brooke? I know they're in the AAR, but that's about it....

Thanks!

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
From here (which may be out of date, it's 2006) it says they don't take unsolicited mss. and want referrals.

Here's what someone says on a blog comment:
Janet Berliner said... Richard Steinberg asked me to post this for him, as his connection wasn't working:

Great column, Bev!

And I agree with Janet and Dave completely. So long as one of Janet’s "2 or 3" great agents includes mine own, Bob Thixton. We've been together now for ten years and as was discussed, it's been far more than just repping me at business meetings.

Bob is my first reader, he nudges and suggests rather than demands, has never offered anything except to improve the work, has become a part of my work and therefore of me.

I was rejected by about a dozen agents when first putting the book that became THE GEMINI MAN out there. And an equal number of publishers because I was unagented. Then along came Bob, and his partner Dick Duane who literally called me as they were going out the door to catch a flight to London to ask me not to look for any more agents.

Less than five weeks later, the book was sold to Doubleday.

Since then - the film and other deals aside - I have become the writer that I am (for better or worse, I suppose) because of my agent.

15% VERY WELL invested!

-Barbara (who has no agent)

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks-

From here (which may be out of date, it's 2006) it says they don't take unsolicited mss. and want referrals.

Here's what someone says on a blog comment:
Janet Berliner said... Richard Steinberg asked me to post this for him, as his connection wasn't working:

Great column, Bev!

And I agree with Janet and Dave completely. So long as one of Janet’s "2 or 3" great agents includes mine own, Bob Thixton. We've been together now for ten years and as was discussed, it's been far more than just repping me at business meetings.

Bob is my first reader, he nudges and suggests rather than demands, has never offered anything except to improve the work, has become a part of my work and therefore of me.

Since then - the film and other deals aside - I have become the writer that I am (for better or worse, I suppose) because of my agent.

15% VERY WELL invested!

-Barbara (who has no agent)

That was a big help.

T

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I queried him last year for my fantasy novel. He took about a month to send a std rejection.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
Just a follow-up

My experience with Pinder Lane was positive.

Bob Thixton requested my fantasy off my query letter. He asked for a partial, then a full, with two weeks exclusivity, which I gave him.

He ultimately passed, but he gave me some constructive feedback, and he got back to me within the two weeks - as rejections go, I can't complain. He was professional and knew what he was talking about. He was also fine with an e-mail submission of the manuscript, letting me save on the printing and postage costs.

Last edited:

wizard tim

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chimpwithpencil.com
Any current information?

I'm curious if anyone has current information on Robert Thixton at Pinder Lane & Garon-Brooke?

I know he is an AAR member, but the pinderlane.com website appeared to emphasize their work in advertising and commercials and licensing. I wonder if literary representation is more of a sideline for them? Their site lists 4 author clients, but I was not familiar with them, although there are certainly many skilled writers I haven't read.

Does anyone know of any current deals they have made and what publishers they were with?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
They're involved with a lot of stuff. Isn't there a point where an agency takes on too much and they're not much of a force in anything because they've got too much going on?

wizard tim

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chimpwithpencil.com
Thank you both for the input, CaoPaux and MRJ. Although they appear reputable, I am worried by their lack of activity in literary representation.

If I learn more, I'll post here. Thanks again.

I Write Scary Stuff

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have anything recent on this group? Their website shows a lot of diversity, and i can find some older things from writers on the net, but nothing i have is showing me anything. Not much here; not much at pw; P&E lists but shows no $; agent is a member of AAR.

Anyone know anything?

Muchos gracias~~~ :d

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I don't know about sales, but they're still actively seeking. I queried Robert Thixton on 4/20 and got a nice request for partial on 6/17 from his assistant (with apologies about the delay). I haven't heard anything since I sent partial. It's for an urban fantasy.

wizard tim

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chimpwithpencil.com
Last year I queried this agency. I posted a question here about them because someone from PLGB emailed and asked to see 3 sample chapters. There wasn't much info about them online, but I sent the chapters anyway.

Two months passed and I did not hear back. So I sent a polite email inquiring as to the status of my samples. And I never heard back.

And more months passed and I moved on to other writing projects, but I never did get a response.

Sorry for the negative news, but that was my experience with them.

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
I sent a query letter to Bob Thixton on 1/18, and received a telephone call from him this afternoon (in a world where responses are usually email or snail mail). Does anyone ever call? It was very personalized, and he is very personable.He said he'd read the query letter, and then shared it with his partner, and they were bother very interested in my manuscript. Wants 4 chapters, and if he decides on the remainder, would like 2 weeks exclusivity on the reading. Makes me hopeful....

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! That sounds very promising.
Did you e-query then? I was about to send out my letter + SASE because I read on AgentQuery that he does not accept email queries...

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I sent a query letter to Bob Thixton on 1/18, and received a telephone call from him this afternoon (in a world where responses are usually email or snail mail). Does anyone ever call? It was very personalized, and he is very personable.He said he'd read the query letter, and then shared it with his partner, and they were bother very interested in my manuscript. Wants 4 chapters, and if he decides on the remainder, would like 2 weeks exclusivity on the reading. Makes me hopeful....

Sounds really promising! Good luck! They've never responded to my partial from June of last year. They also wanted an exclusive, but I couldn't give it to them since I had other agents reading.

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I was just double-checking. I read your post as I printed the query, literally. I mailed today, fingers crossed. Good luck on your partial! What's your genre?

TerryRodgers

Registered
Reaction score
I sent a email query in October. Bob requested a 3 chapter partial a few days later. In early January I received some feedback from a William Morrow agent. I started the edits and sent Bob the first fifty pages on 1/17/2010.

I received a phone call from Bob on 1/19/2010. He provided some excellent feedback. We discussed the rest of the manuscript and once I'm finish with the rewrites he would like to see the entire thing.

I'm with you Maddie. This was my first agent call.

Best Regards,

Terry Rodgers

Friend Me: http://www.facebook.com/terryallenrodgers
Follow Me: http://www.twitter.com/terryrodgers

Last edited:

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
The best wishes to you, Terry! It sounds as though Bob is working very carefully with your manuscript, which indicates his belief in its salability. If not, an agent wouldn't take the time.

Keep on,
Maddie

TerryRodgers

Registered
Reaction score
Same to you Maddie. It's my first agent call so I won't get my hopes up. I've been close several times already, just haven't hit that homerun.

I'm hoping that after he reads the full, even if he doesn't sign right away, that he is willing to give me advice and edit suggestions.

That's really what we wall want. Enough advice to keep your manuscript moving in the right direction.