I Must Really Stink

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard that a lot of people get excellent personalized rejections from this particular agent that I queried and who read my full. In fact, everyone I've ever spoken or written to says he gives great advice. But I got what I'm fairly certain is a form.

How bad must I have been? :cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
You were good enough to get a full request.

Feel (slightly) better? :D

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Nienna, have a salve for your hurt feelings. They do an excellent one called Bombay Sapphire....

There may be other reasons why you got the form, but at any rate, you MUST send it to more agents so you can get the truest picture. Don't let this stop you.

:Hug2:

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys *smile* I re-read it, and now I'm not so sure it's form...I don't know, maybe that's me trying ot make myself feel better, because he said I'm "a talented writer with a unique idea for the fantasy genre" - is that form? Am I just trying to make myself happy?

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
I'll second Siddow's statement. If you're getting full requests, you aren't bad. :)

And re your second post, that doesn't sound like a form to me...I may be wrong, being relatively new to the submission process myself, but it seems like a pretty tailored comment. (and a nice compliment as well.)

Chocolate martinis all around. I'm buying. :D

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you managed a request for a FULL, you do NOT stink, Missy! Perhaps what you think is form isn't, and perhaps - - just maybe - - when this agent sent yours back, something really huge was happening in her life, and she simply wasn't able to take the time to jot down some notes.

Buck up, have something decadent to soften the blow, and keep plugging along. You got a request for a FULL! It'll happen again, fo'sure! :)

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I think there is zero correlation between form reply vs personalized reply and craptastic writing vs. decent writing.

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
I don't think you stink. "sniff, sniff" Nope, can't smell you over here.

Near as I can tell, there's a lot of subbing going on and agents are getting pretty damned particular about what tey take on. They must be hunting for the next breakout writer and need to be smacked hard by a story from beginning to end or else. I've been holding back on throwing my novel out there for representation because I don't feel it has solid staying power throoughout the book. But that's me and me hopeless insecurities squawking away. I believe you'll hit an agent looking for your work and ready to fire you off at the publishing world. Stay strong and sub, sub, sub!

Pike

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the support guys! You're great!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Don't be discouraged. I imagine forms go out even from helpful agents if they are swamped. You probably just got them at a bad time when time was a premium to them. Just send it elsewhere. Good luck.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Aww, don't be discouraged. All writers get forms at some points (or else they're some type of enigma and we glare at them jealously). Plus, when you do get an agent and a book deal, it'll be all the more sweeter when you think about those who must regret turning you down. Of course, you have to hold back the urge to send them HA HA HA emails, but there's nothing wrong with HA HA HA-ing them in your head!

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, so sorry! Chin up (so you don't dribble the wine) - you got a full request in the first place, which is awesome. I've read one agent (can't remember whose blog) who said s/he sometimes doesn't give out personalized rejections because sometimes she knows it's just her(his?) opinion and wouldn't do anything but confuse the writer. Which could mean there really isn't something you need to know, it just wasn't for this agent. Which is pretty good, I think. :) Best of luck next time!

Status
Not open for further replies.