Markets for Christian Rhyming Poetry?

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings from a new member. I was probably born in the wrong era...I have a penchant for writing Christian devotional poetry that rhymes. Does anyone know of a market for this type of poetry? It seems many poetry publishers do not usually welcome rhyme. Is there an avenue available for submitting some of it to the Christian music industry? Are there any Christian publications which DO prefer traditional, rhyming poetry?

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Your poetry needs a little work, William, but I appreciate the links!

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
okay then...

limericks are a difficult discipline to master, but i promise to try harder.

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For shame!

William, the links may be helpful, but the blasphemous limerick subject lines in a thread about Christian poetry are not helpful or amusing, they're rude and disrespectful. I'd give you a negative rep point, but the board seems to be acting up again.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
god would forgive me. why can't you?

hey, do your worst. maybe you could email jenna or wordsoup and ask that i be banned, or put on double-secret probation.

i don't need no steenking rep points.

the limerick was in good fun, and pb seemed to take it in stride. but thank you for swooping down with your holier-than-thou fire and brimstone.

yours in christ,
william

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
William, I apologize for the rep points crack. That was one out of anger on my part and I'm sorry.

(FYI, forgiveness comes after someone realizes he or she did something wrong and asks for forgiveness, whether it be from God or another human being. Did I miss something in your response to me?

I'm going to sit back and think about what else to say before I respond further. I'll be back.

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
forgivenesss

Betty,

You might want to rethink your definition of forgiveness (and forgive me, please, if my entering in is not welcome here), but wasn't it Christ who said, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do"? I don't think 'they' ever asked for His forgiveness....but He gave it anyway.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
every dogma has its day

now, now... i 've got enough guilt in my life without stirring some theological feud between the two of you.

it's academic anyway. i've apologized to pb privately for any offense, and that's the only forgiveness i was seeking.

now let's be friends. we'd make a great cast for a sitcom.

-william

Last edited:

WordSoup

Found her way back here
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Folks!

This is your friendly, cuddly, sorta plump Poetry Mod, Jen. You can call me AUNT JEN.

PB10220: Welcome to the Water Cooler! I hope William gave you some useful links. Post some of your works if you have the the time and the inclination. ;)

William: So far you've been a helpful cuss. PLEASE - be more helpful, less cuss
:flag: ( It would be very big of you to also apologize to Miss Betty, if you'd be so kind)

Betty: Let's all get on with our writing, shall we? (Aunt Jen extends a hand...)

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
hi aunt jen:

i'll try to play nice and, as stated above, i made my peace with pb.

i won't apologize to betty, however as it wasn't her thread.

she's like lot's wife. she could have chosen not to look.

AND she's rather salty.

WordSoup

Found her way back here
Registered
Reaction score
No, sir, you're right, it wasn't Betty's thread, it was her lifestyle you offended. You'd probably make grocery money as a stand up comic, but at the Water Cooler you will be boo-ed offstage for offened someone's lifestyle.

From now on, can we at least be funny without accidently (or otherwise) hurting others' feelings? AND there will be no under-handed digs! Do you understand me?

... (Aunt Jen grabs William by the ear and hauls him to the bathroom to wash his mouth out with LAVA soap) ...

Play nice or go home.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
actually, William

Actually it is everyone’s thread. Sometimes we must be aware that others may be sensitive to what we write. When I accidentally say the wrong thing at the wrong time I really have no problem in backpedaling and saying I meant nothing by it.

But when you perpetuate an attack it actually alienates others as well.

I think you had every right to post what you did but you should also acknowledge that you were accidentally insensitive as well.

We are a community and we should try to get along.

If you want I could start a thread in the "take it outside board" and we can while away the hours debating religion. But we really should not do it here.

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Joanne--many thanks for the links! Some of these were familiar, but others are brand new opportunities. Hugs to you!

Wordsoup, William, Betty--Thanks for the welcome, and please be assured, I come in peace. I think there's room for respectful differences of opinion; in fact, when some have respectfully disagreed with me (theologically or otherwise) I have often come out the wiser by rethinking my position--one of the great plusses about forums like these!

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
Christian Rhymes

Some markets do like rhymed poetry, but please keep in mind that they prefer rhymed poetry that is written in disciplined, metrical forms, and where the rhymes are natural rather than forced. I know nothing about your poetry. As a small magazine editor, however, I know that a LOT of people submitting rhymed poetry don't seem to know much about meter. Rhymed poetry is not totally spurned in the modern world--there are markets that appreciate it. The truth is, however, that very little quality rhymed poetry is written these days. (This is largely because it has been too much spurned in modern times; people aren't taught forms and meter; and the art is being lost.)

Ancient Paths, a Christian literary magazine, publishes about 50% rhymed poetry.

The Lyric is dedicated to traditional poetry. It is not a Christian literary magazine, but I have published Christian themed poems in it, so I know it does not spurn such themes. You can find submission information in the Poet's Market.

Time of Singing publishes traditional rhymed Christian poetry, as well as free verse.

You can find links to some of these magazines and more on my Resources for Writers page at www.editorskylar.com (Click on ANCIENT PATHS and then RESOURCES FOR WRITERS.)

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Skylar,

Many thanks for the links, and thoughtful observations about rhyming poetry. I was fortunate enough to have been raised with music training, which has transferred over somewhat to my sense of meter in poetry. I do write in meter and traditional forms, and was able to find one market for my poetry because I matched the meter of my poem to some traditional Lutheran hymns of the same meter. (I have a poem coming out in Lutheran Digest this year.) That's part of the challenge I love about writing this type of poetry--expressing sentiment and artistry within the established constraints. It's just plain fun when you find the combination that works!!