• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] BookEnds, LLC / Beyond the Page Publishing

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps. But if I got an email from an agent saying 'I'm currently not accepting queries. Please requery after October 1st' I'm not going to sit there thinking the query is still sitting there or going to be read :) At the very least, adding 'your query was deleted' just strikes me as TMI :Shrug:

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps. But if I got an email from an agent saying 'I'm currently not accepting queries. Please requery after October 1st' I'm not going to sit there thinking the query is still sitting there or going to be read :) At the very least, adding 'your query was deleted' just strikes me as TMI :Shrug:

Ok, you win:D

ChrryBlssmGrrl

Paranormal Princess
Registered
Reaction score
Just to share my experience, I queried Jessica on March 30th. I received a rejection on April 12th, so just less than a 2 week turn around. The response was pretty much a form rejection but it was quite kind:

Thank you so much for giving BookEnds a chance to consider your work. While I found your query intriguing I’m afraid I wasn’t sufficiently enthusiastic to ask for more at this time.

As I’m sure you know, publishing is a subjective business
and I’m sure there’s another agent out there better suited to your work.

I wish you the best of luck and the greatest success.

As with all rejections it would have been nice to know what was 'intriguing' about my query (which was just that, btw - a query letter which included a brief synopsis) but what ultimately led to a rejection without even seeing a couple of sample chapters.

But the speed of her reply was very professional, her tone was (in my opinion) very courteous and at least it was pretty encouraging.

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much for giving BookEnds a chance to consider your work. While I found your query intriguing I’m afraid I wasn’t sufficiently enthusiastic to ask for more at this time.

As I’m sure you know, publishing is a subjective business and I’m sure there’s another agent out there better suited to your work.

I absolutely mean you no disrespect, but this is their standard rejection letter that everyone gets. There are several agencies who use the same, or similar, wording. It seems that some agents at least try to sweeten the rejection a bit.:Shrug:

ChrryBlssmGrrl

Paranormal Princess
Registered
Reaction score
no, I totally agree with you - I've had a couple of these myself :Shrug:

I just wanted to flag this standardised rejection letter up as being my experience with BookEnds. It could be that other writers got feedback from them - which is always a nice bonus.

Sending out standard, fairly impersonal rejections doesn't necessarily reflect poorly on BookEnds as an agency but (I think) it's good to share the details submission experiences, both positive and negative, especially for the benefit of any writers out there who are just about to take the plunge with their first first-time submissions so they know what they can expect!! (Good luck!!)

Anyway, all in all, I think their rejection was quite kind and it was quick as well, which does reflect well on BookEnds professionalism and organisational skills.

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
I received the same form rejection this a.m., 5 days after e-query. Shouldn't try to divine any meaning from a rejection unless it's so obviously personalized -- "Your character Gleeynia really intrigued me but I just didn't buy that she was both a demon and an WNBA superstar" -- that you'll know it.

At least now i can stop reading Jessica's blog!

bocabum

Procrastinator/Doddlebutter
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea how long Kim is quoting for a response to partials?

Anyone know the answer to this? Someone? Anyone? Pretty Please!!! I emailed my partial to Kim in April, and still haven't heard boo, so either it got sucked into her spam filter, or she hasn't gotten to it yet...

...wish someone could shed some light on this for me!

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know the answer to this? Someone? Anyone? Pretty Please!!! I emailed my partial to Kim in April, and still haven't heard boo, so either it got sucked into her spam filter, or she hasn't gotten to it yet...

...wish someone could shed some light on this for me!

If I had a partial out since April I would send a polite follow-up to make sure they received the manuscript and check on the status. In fact, I would not have waited this long. I usually give it 2-3 months for a partial, obviously longer for a full, but it is in your interest to follow-up. It may have gotten lost. Best of luck to you.

bocabum

Procrastinator/Doddlebutter
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Alias! :)

I had thought about checking in, but figured since Ms. Lionetti was behind on queries and submission, I'd wait, but now, maybe, I think I might send a quick email to her, inquiring if she even received my partial.

So Alias, if it were you--and considering that she's closed her email to query submissions--what would you put in the subject line, so that you don't get an automatic reply, or lost in her spam filter?

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Alias! :)

I had thought about checking in, but figured since Ms. Lionetti was behind on queries and submission, I'd wait, but now, maybe, I think I might send a quick email to her, inquiring if she even received my partial.

So Alias, if it were you--and considering that she's closed her email to query submissions--what would you put in the subject line, so that you don't get an automatic reply, or lost in her spam filter?

I would put:

Follow-up Requested Material: TITLE OF NOVEL

It is long, but it gets the point across right up front and should get past the spam filter. I hope you get a good response soon :)

Scribe66

Registered
Reaction score
Queried Ms. Lionetti five months ago, received form R only yesterday. I'd pretty much written her off in any case, but at least I know for sure now--and having other fulls and partials out also blunts the sting.

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
Stupid question alert. :p Does anyone know if Jessica reps all fantasy, or just romantic fantasy? I swear I find a different answer every time I try and find out!

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Queried Ms. Lionetti five months ago, received form R only yesterday. I'd pretty much written her off in any case, but at least I know for sure now--and having other fulls and partials out also blunts the sting.

I just got an R from my May query to her, too.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Stupid question alert. :p Does anyone know if Jessica reps all fantasy, or just romantic fantasy? I swear I find a different answer every time I try and find out!

As far as I know, she does NOT rep straight fantasy. However, I read on her blog that she's open to paranormal romance that crosses into urban fantasy.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query back in March as well and just got a request for a partial tonight. (Though the book's been rewritten...)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Okay.... so....

I sent Ms. Lionetti the partial she requested, and got the "Your email has been automatically deleted" message, too. I'm not sure she thought that one through. :(

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
Bookends Agency

I e-queried Kim Lionetti at Bookends six months ago. Yesterday, I got a rejection. Kim was apologetic about the delay, however.

katpaws

writer/fangirl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theresabloginmysoup.blogspot.com
I believe Kim is working very hard to catch up on all her queries from earlier in the year.
I queried her in June and just received a request for a partial today. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!