Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 61011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: [Agency] BookEnds, LLC / Beyond the Page Publishing

Queen of the Upmarket Bagladies HoneyBadger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilybiz View Post
    Thanks for letting us know, Parametric. I stalk agents on Twitter but I missed this one.
    And I missed Parametric's post!

Quote Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
    And I missed Parametric's post!

We ninjas strike silently from the darkness.

Researching History's Mysteries HistorySleuth's Avatar
    Ah, you beat me to it ... so says another twitter stalker.
    Blog Twitter @HistorySleuth1
    RIGHT OF THE SOIL (Editing)
    Bread & Butter the Murders of Polly Frisch

On Amazon.

practical experience, FTW Stiger05's Avatar
    I have a question on follow-up protocol:

I sent requested material to Lauren Ruth on January 17. Their submission guidelines states their response time goal is 12 weeks to respond to RM. It has been 15 weeks.

However, I queried her on September 19 and she responded on January 16. Their query goals are 8 weeks.

How long should I wait before nudging? Based on the query response time, it may take a while still. I nudged on the query on November 22, but she responded to my original submission.

Thoughts? Have any of you had a similar experience?
    "There is no, life I know, to compare with pure imagination, living there, you'll be free, if you truly wish to be."

Writing some stuff, editing some stuff, you know, the same old same old.

My blog
    Twitter

Lurker, now activated. :-) Smiley0501's Avatar
    I just received a request for the first 3 chapters of my novel + synopsis from Lauren Ruth.

I'd queried Jan 13 and received the request May 8th. I had written Lauren off because it had been sooo long since I'd queried -- what a pleasant surprise

Unfortunately -- or well it is a good unfortunately, I am revising my novel (per requests of another agent).
    You can call me *~Smiley~*

Quote Originally Posted by Stiger05 View Post
    I have a question on follow-up protocol:

I sent requested material to Lauren Ruth on January 17. Their submission guidelines states their response time goal is 12 weeks to respond to RM. It has been 15 weeks.

However, I queried her on September 19 and she responded on January 16. Their query goals are 8 weeks.

How long should I wait before nudging? Based on the query response time, it may take a while still. I nudged on the query on November 22, but she responded to my original submission.

Thoughts? Have any of you had a similar experience?
    Was it a partial or a full? For my full, it took Jessica a month to get to it. I'm not sure about Lauren, but from what I can gather on QT and personal experience, they really do try to be prompt if they're interested in something.

If it's a full, I would wait maybe another few weeks. If it's a partial, I would probably nudge and gently remind them of their 12 week goal.

I hope that helps!
    PRETENDING TO BE ERICA - Viking Children's - 2014

Bloggin' (Latest: Queries are like cupcakes!)|Twitter!|Repped by Jessica Faust of BookEnds, LLC.

This hat is getting too hot Chumplet's Avatar
    Received a rejection from Kim on a query with no sample pages sent in February. Blerg.

practical experience, FTW
    Apparently Lauren Ruth left the agency. Does anyone know anything about that?
    "Good sex is like good Bridge: if you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand." - Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by QueenViv View Post
    Apparently Lauren Ruth left the agency. Does anyone know anything about that?
    She has left Bookends. I know a couple of writers who have now received rejections to partials and fulls they had with her.

It has been quite a week for agents leaving, including Ken Wright and Kat Salazar.

Lauren Ruth left

Thanks for posting about Lauren leaving. She is listed in the current issue of Writer's Digest as an agent at Bookends seeking new authors.

I may submit anyway, as the address listed is a general submissions email address...

Here is where Lauren went: http://slushpiletales.wordpress.com/...-in-entangled/
    Last edited by penguin girl; 09-01-2012 at 09:10 AM. Reason: updating info

Magically delicious TheCakeNovelist's Avatar

Smile

Has anyone dealt with Beth Campbell at Bookends? I received a partial request from her based on a query I had sent to Lauren Ruth, and a month later she bumped it up to a full.

It's been less than a month since I sent the full so I may have a while to wait, but I was just wondering if anyone else had any dealings with her. She's been lovely so far and BookEnds is one of my top choices so I am crossing everything!

TheCakeNovelist, you're having a great querying run! This is the second thread I've seen where you've had a full request, congrats. I can't offer any advice, I'm afraid, but I hope it goes well for you.
    Website/Blog- Twitter

WIP: Hella Fun WIP
    With Betas:
    Mecha and Monsters WIP, Draft 4 [FINALLY! BE FREE, NOVEL, BE FREEEEEE]
    Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"

Magically delicious TheCakeNovelist's Avatar
    Thank you so much! I was loath to do it, but I finally took the very good advice to reduce my wordcount and it seems to have done the trick.

Just the facts, please

Nonfiction

Has anyone had recent experience with querying NF with BookEnds? The site says they take it, and their list looks intriguing - but it appears the only agent who handles NF is Jessica Faust, and she only takes subs on referral now. (http://www.bookends-inc.com/submit.html). Seems like they're focusing solely on fiction now. Thanks for any insight!

No harm in sending a query, Journo, but they do seem to lean more towards fiction.
    Website/Blog- Twitter

WIP: Hella Fun WIP
    With Betas:
    Mecha and Monsters WIP, Draft 4 [FINALLY! BE FREE, NOVEL, BE FREEEEEE]
    Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"

Just the facts, please
    Yeah, I know they can just ignore it and I'm only out an email, so no skin off my back, but I'm still trying to follow their guidelines and getting confused. They do rep NF, or have in the past, but the agent profiles clearly state they only want specific kinds of fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by JournoWriter View Post
    Yeah, I know they can just ignore it and I'm only out an email, so no skin off my back, but I'm still trying to follow their guidelines and getting confused. They do rep NF, or have in the past, but the agent profiles clearly state they only want specific kinds of fiction.
    Follow the profiles - always. Keep looking for an agent that reps your kind of book.

Good luck!

Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant ARoyce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCakeNovelist View Post
    Has anyone dealt with Beth Campbell at Bookends? I received a partial request from her based on a query I had sent to Lauren Ruth, and a month later she bumped it up to a full.

It's been less than a month since I sent the full so I may have a while to wait, but I was just wondering if anyone else had any dealings with her. She's been lovely so far and BookEnds is one of my top choices so I am crossing everything!
    Jessica Alvarez at BookEnds is my agent (signed with her in August) so the interactions I've had with Beth have been in her capacity as their literary assistant (so contract correspondence, mainly). I dont have any knowledge of her agent role, but I've been a big fan of BookEnds for years and am very happy with Jessica and the agency.

Good luck!!!
    Living my Happily Ever After and writing imaginary ones

Web site ~ Twitter ~ Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by MaraudingDon View Post
    Follow the profiles - always. Keep looking for an agent that reps your kind of book.

Good luck!
    I agree with Don...

Bookends agent Jessica Alvarez will be featured on this month's Agent Shop at MuseTracks on Feb 16!! It's an opportunity for you to pitch your work to her! This link includes more info about her and the pitch process there.

http://musetracks.wordpress.com/2013...-bookends-llc/

The Little Aspie That Could KaiaSonderby's Avatar
    Does anyone know if Beth Campbell is accepting queries? I can't quite figure it out based on their site.
    The Airplane Experiment: Dreams cleared for takeoff.

Dream: My short fantasy story, published in The Lorelei Signal.

Quote Originally Posted by brightlyiburn View Post
    Does anyone know if Beth Campbell is accepting queries? I can't quite figure it out based on their site.
    Wondering the same thing. I would like to submit to Beth. Any news?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    EQ 6 Mar (Jessica Faust)
    Full Req 14 Mar

Realised recently there are a few typos in the revised version I sent. They are toward the end, so hopefully by the time she gets to them she'll already be 'sold' and they won't matter!

Quote Originally Posted by sandolita View Post
    EQ 6 Mar (Jessica Faust)
    Full Req 14 Mar

Realised recently there are a few typos in the revised version I sent. They are toward the end, so hopefully by the time she gets to them she'll already be 'sold' and they won't matter!
    Congratulations! I got a full request from her on April 4th. It's turned me into an email junkie. lol

Good luck sandolita and quacktaculaura!!!
    J.B. Kantt

WIW (~70K), TZS (~83K), TSW (~50K), SP (~53K), and ZT (~52K) : Shelved ... For Now

RAR: Now Available on Amazon! (~62K words)

VAB: Outlined, will be written soon

ZA: Outlining ... sort of

Stop by my blog sometime!
    J.A.Y.A.! (Journey of an Aspiring Young Author)

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 61011121314151617 LastLast