• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] BookEnds, LLC / Beyond the Page Publishing

Grampa Joe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gogebicbooks.com
Sonarbabe said:
Sorry to hear that Mims.

Any news yet, Grampa Joe? I'm really curious since it was Ms. Lionetti who passed on my work...all three times I submitted to her. ;) (I'm holding out for you!!!)
I'm still waiting to hear from Kim Lionetti. I am still keeping my fingers crossed. I hope Kim is not holding her breath for my 1/2 done new true crime fiction.
Grampa
P.S. Congrats to all the rest of you who have heard one way or another from Bookends.

transom-jumper

Registered
Reaction score
Have you heard?

Grampa Joe,
Have you heard back from Kim Lionetti yet? Just curious since I've twice sent to her in the past and have yet to get a response. It seems a tiny black hole is in orbit over her out-box. The gravitational pull sucks SASE's into a parallel universe where green, four-dimensional creatures with names like Quark and Zarb read our acceptance letters. Oh, well, Kim probably has a clutter-free desk. As an aside, it's never wise to send 1/2 finished fiction to any agent. It should be crisp, clean and as ready to publish as you can make it.
Transom-Jumper

Last edited:

transom-jumper

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry

Sorry to hear about the rejection, Grampa Joe. It took her six-months to reply? Maybe my ms. hasn't gone missing. Perhaps next week on the one year anniversary of its submission I'll get a card. I hope she doesn't wait until our silver or gold anniversary to send a gift. Luckily there are 987 other agents still waiting to see my manuscript for the very first time. Keep hammerin' those typewriter keys.
Transom-Jumper

Thomma Lyn

Cat Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thommalyngrindstaff.com
I sent a snail mail query to Kim Lionetti around the first of October 2006 and I've yet to hear back. From what I understand, BookEnds is a very good agency, just slow when it comes to queries.

They have a blog, too.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Jessica Faust at BookEnds hung on to my query for several months, and I offered (through her blog and then email) to send a revamped query in case the original was lost. She apologized, dug out the old query, and rejected it. But she was very nice about it, and offered advice on the premise and word count.

I just wish she'd read the new query and sample instead. Plus, the word count had grown since the first query. Oh, well.. maybe the next one.

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
I've sent various manuscripts to BookEnds and Jessica Faust has been very nice. Granted, she rejected all of them, but on the last one she said the only reason why she was passing was because she didn't handle catagory romance. BUT, she did offer to look at any single title manuscripts I might have. Very sweet of her, I think.

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
Kim has a partial of mine and I'm at that 3 month period. I thought they moved rather quickly and it was an email query.

Congrats! But no, they can be pretty slow. They were the very first agency I ever queried, and the very last to respond. Took them about six months or so. It's my understanding that they're worth the wait if you can get them though. Good luck! :)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My experience with them was that they were very nice, but slow. Kim has my ms for 6 mos before passing. It wasn't an exclusive, so I didn't stress out much.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Jacky Sach requested a partial from me, I have been waiting 13 weeks for a reply. I e-mail her asking if she had gotten to it yet. I got a very nice reply stating she hadn't read it yet, but was looking foreward to reading it.- I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

ixchel

Registered
Reaction score
Passed on my partial too. Quick response.

WordGypsy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leahclifford.com
Just received an email from Jacky after inquiring as to whether or not she received the partial...it's been over 2 1/2 months. She was very polite and said she'd get to it asap! Fingers crossed!

WordGypsy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leahclifford.com
LOL! Yeah, I'd hold off for a while. It seems like they're either behind or this is the status quo. Either way, it's an awesome agency with top notch agents and VERY worth the wait!

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
I e-mailed a query to Jacky Sach- less than 24 hours laters she asked for a partial- it took her over 16 weeks to get back to me, but she did ask for a full read :)
It has been 7 weeks since I gave her the MS- I hate waiting with my fingers crossed- very uncomfortable!

She was very polite and proffesional with her dealings with me so far-

LiteraryChick

Registered
Reaction score
Bookends LLC/Jessica Faust

I have to admit that I was disappointed by this agency. I had read so many good things about it that I queried Jessica Faust (ages ago) and rec'd a request for a partial a few days later. I sent a status query six months later and received an email saying that they did receive the partial but hadn't gotten to it yet. I waited another three months, sent a status query, and no reply. That was over a year ago. Obviously I just scratched Bookends off of my list, but I was definitely surprised because everyone says such good things about the agency.

juneafternoon

Return of the Jedi
Registered
Reaction score
^ I hear more and more stories about people meeting enthusiastic agents at first and then getting put off longer and longer until they get fed up and remove all hope from the agency. That sucks :(

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, sorry to hear it. I had a super fast turn around from Jessica with my partial. About a week and half, I think. It was a rejection, but at least she didn't keep me hanging.

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
What to do?

All right, I'm not sure what to do here. I am currently waiting to hear from an agency (Bookends), they are reading a full right now. I am only 9 weeks into a 10-12 week wait according to their website. My dilemma is that shortly before I heard from Bookends, I also sent the same MS to a small publishing house acceptng submissions. I just heard back from the Pub saying they are interested.

I REALLY want to go with bookends, so do I e-mail the agency and tell them a small pub is interested or do I go with the bird in the hand- AKKK! I need some advice, please!
Thanks, Annie