• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

JMW Publishing Co.

glasy depths

Recently I submitted something for JMW publishing. They mailed me (as in letter) to tell me I was to be published and also eligible for money prizes.

Is this a scam?

aka eraser

Re: JMW publishing: scam?

You'll know the minute they ask for money. Posting more details might help: a copy of the letter or a url.

WordSoup

NavigatorX - Thank you for posting that!

Also - :hug to Dave and Victoria

signed - "the new and slightly bewildered poetry moderator, Jen"

HapiSofi

"Eligible for cash prizes" is not part of the standard publishing vocabulary.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Still active, unfortunately.

Jaws

Apex Predator
Registered
Reaction score
Loitering just offshore on the Silicon Prairie
Website
scrivenerserror.blogspot.com
Note that the poetry contest is from the JMW Publishing in Missouri, which is not affiliated with the JMW Group in New York (a book packager). This is a good example of why people asking (and answering) questions in this industry need to specify locations, not just names: For an industry that works with intellectual property, the various firms in it are remarkably cavalier about trademarks and trade names.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Good point, Jaws.

JMW Publishing Co. = shady poetry anthologist

JMW Group, Inc. = commercial book packager

The JMW Group = technology consultant looking to shift your paradigm

LOVELYPOETRYGAL

JMW Publishing Scam?!?

NOPE! I GOT MY BOOKS TODAY FROM 'EM!!! I HAD A POEM PUBLISHED IN "Timepieces, Vol.2"!!! :partyguy:

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
LOVELYPOETRYGAL said:
NOPE! I GOT MY BOOKS TODAY FROM 'EM!!! I HAD A POEM PUBLISHED IN "Timepieces, Vol.2"!!! :partyguy:
It depends on how you define a "scam." When people on this board say that a publisher or a contest is a scammer, they usually don't mean that the publisher never sends copies to their authors. What they mean is that the publisher charges the authors for those copies and doesn't sell the books to the reading public. That makes them a printer, not a real publisher.

Sadly, some of the best known poetry contests are like this. They don't care about poets, just about selling anthologies to the poets. :( JMW is just one example -- avoid Poetry.com, too. Do yourself a favor and don't send them any more money. Send your poetry to markets that care about your poems and don't try to gouge you.

Once these "contests" have your name, they won't stop asking your for money. I know this out of personal experience. I once submitted a poem to Poetry.com to show a class that the contest was a scam. The poem was about spam, and it sucked. But the poem was accepted! It was a finalist! And for months afterwards, they kept sending me brochures about that horrid thing. For a fee, I could get it recorded and set to music! For another fee, I could get it framed. On top of that, I could pay several hundred dollars to go to a poetry seminar. Uhm, no thanks. I read about that seminar on-line, and it's not worth five cents. :( )
:Shrug:

If you want to find legitimate poetry contests (and better markets for your poetry), check about the Absolute Write Poetry forum. There is even a poetry critique board. (It's password-protected to protect your publication rights to the poem.)

Elsewhere on AW, you can also find a board for paying markets and one for nonpaying markets. In most cases, even the nonpaying markets will give you free copies of the issue or volume your work appears in!