AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: JMW Publishing Co.

glasy depths

JMW Publishing Co.

Recently I submitted something for JMW publishing. They mailed me (as in letter) to tell me I was to be published and also eligible for money prizes.

Is this a scam?

HapiSofi

Re: JMW publishing: scam?

Probably.

aka eraser

You'll know the minute they ask for money. Posting more details might help: a copy of the letter or a url.

lastr

www.jmwpublishing.com/ is the URL if the poster was talking about a poetry publisher.

XThe NavigatorX

SFWA mentions JMW specifically on their contest bewares page.

www.sfwa.org/beware/contests.html

WordSoup

NavigatorX - Thank you for posting that!

Also - :hug to Dave and Victoria

signed - "the new and slightly bewildered poetry moderator, Jen"

HapiSofi

"Eligible for cash prizes" is not part of the standard publishing vocabulary.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar

Thumbs down JMW Publishing Co.

Still active, unfortunately.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Loitering just offshore on the Silicon Prairie
    Note that the poetry contest is from the JMW Publishing in Missouri, which is not affiliated with the JMW Group in New York (a book packager). This is a good example of why people asking (and answering) questions in this industry need to specify locations, not just names: For an industry that works with intellectual property, the various firms in it are remarkably cavalier about trademarks and trade names.
    CEP
    blawg: Scrivener's Error (includes links to main site)
    Any legal comments in this message are general commentary only, and not legal advice
    for your specific situation. You should not rely on such comments or any other published
    comments, by me or anyone else as anything other than general guidance.
    Unfortunately, no scam agents, vanity publishers, or other similar carrion-eaters were bent,
    folded, spindled, or mutilated in creating this post (not for want of motivation).
    Of course it's "fine print" it's small and red.

Good point, Jaws.

JMW Publishing Co. = shady poetry anthologist

JMW Group, Inc. = commercial book packager

The JMW Group = technology consultant looking to shift your paradigm
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

LOVELYPOETRYGAL

JMW Publishing Scam?!?

NOPE! I GOT MY BOOKS TODAY FROM 'EM!!! I HAD A POEM PUBLISHED IN "Timepieces, Vol.2"!!!

Empirical Storm Trooper MadScientistMatt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LOVELYPOETRYGAL
    NOPE! I GOT MY BOOKS TODAY FROM 'EM!!! I HAD A POEM PUBLISHED IN "Timepieces, Vol.2"!!!
    And how much did they pay you for it?

Legitimate poetry markets pay for the poems you send them, even if it's only in free copies.

It depends on how you define a "scam." When people on this board say that a publisher or a contest is a scammer, they usually don't mean that the publisher never sends copies to their authors. What they mean is that the publisher charges the authors for those copies and doesn't sell the books to the reading public. That makes them a printer, not a real publisher.

Sadly, some of the best known poetry contests are like this. They don't care about poets, just about selling anthologies to the poets. JMW is just one example -- avoid Poetry.com, too. Do yourself a favor and don't send them any more money. Send your poetry to markets that care about your poems and don't try to gouge you.

Once these "contests" have your name, they won't stop asking your for money. I know this out of personal experience. I once submitted a poem to Poetry.com to show a class that the contest was a scam. The poem was about spam, and it sucked. But the poem was accepted! It was a finalist! And for months afterwards, they kept sending me brochures about that horrid thing. For a fee, I could get it recorded and set to music! For another fee, I could get it framed. On top of that, I could pay several hundred dollars to go to a poetry seminar. Uhm, no thanks. I read about that seminar on-line, and it's not worth five cents. )

If you want to find legitimate poetry contests (and better markets for your poetry), check about the Absolute Write Poetry forum. There is even a poetry critique board. (It's password-protected to protect your publication rights to the poem.)

Elsewhere on AW, you can also find a board for paying markets and one for nonpaying markets. In most cases, even the nonpaying markets will give you free copies of the issue or volume your work appears in!
    THE Official FreakTM
    That's not me in my avatar. That's Papa Emeritus II and the Nameless Ghouls of Ghost
    -- AARlist2, my romance reader discussion group
    Dubbed "Cool Thread Starter Girl" by JeanneTGC

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    How much did it cost you?

Finally gone.
    ICAO
    ---------