Anyway to disable a blog without deleting it?

Georganna Hancock

she's back!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writers-edge.info
That depends on what you mean by "disable" and where your blog is hosted.

If you want it to disappear completely from the Internet, you're in for disappointment. The pages are probably in the indexes of several search engines and likely to remain there until very old material is purged.

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
Hi Georganna,
I realize that the pages have been cached and can still be seen. My account is in blogspot.com, but I don't see any function other than deleting the total blog to keep the main page from coming up.

My website has a disabling function, where I didn't have to delete my pages, I simply just clicked "disable" to no longer show the page.

Just wanted to know if there is any way to do that in Blogspot.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know there is a way, but I haven't logged into my blogger in so long I can't remember my password.

I think it is under settings. You can make it public or private. That is what you meant, right?

jdkiggins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Right Sass, that's the function my website had--disable to make it private and enable to make it public.

After some long hard thought on the matter, I've decided not to worry about it. My life has always been an open book, so if the person stalking me wants to read all about my days and my wonderful Mom, let her. :roll:

I'm not going to let this person take away the only writing outlet I have right now.

Thanks for all who read and responded. I really appreciate it.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
Sorry to hear about your troubles, Joanne. You're right-- why let one person take away your platform and your means of expression?

She seems pretty intent on making you feel uncomfortable. I don't really know the laws about this kind of thing, but maybe you should consider getting help?

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
HI again.

I hope things work out for the best. It sounds like you are okay with things the way they are.

I was thinking about this last night. My friend changed the template on her blogger and somehow the links to the archives were gone. This was a while back, before they had the new way of doing the templates. I fixed the HTML for her. Not that I am an expert but Davesite.com has HTML lessons that I used. Anyway, maybe you could remove the links to the archives? I'm not sure if that would work or not. They way blogger works now, it would be easy to put them back again later.

Sass-thinking while typing. (because how can you think outloud on a messageboard?)
HUGS!

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
I use Wordpress, so excuse the ignorance, but does Blogger have a way to password-protect entries? That way, you could control you reads stuff you post. Wordpress has this feature, which is why I mention it.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Joanne, if you change your mind you can go to your dashboard and set permissions to only allow people you choose - not sure how that works, but it's an option.

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
yes agree with dawno. just go into settings, then permissions. you can make the blog private so no one else can see it, or you can nominate a list of friends that are able to view it

jdkiggins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Thanks everyone. I'll keep all these ideas in mind if the problem persists. I very much appreciate all the help.

I'm not so much worried about what the person reads on my blog because I've always been pretty open about myself and my life. I'm more concerned that this person will bother my linked friends. As long as that doesn't happen, I can handle anything this person dumps my way. :)

I do want to add, if anyone I have linked on my blog would prefer me to delete the link, just let me know. I'll certainly understand.

Last edited:

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Thanks everyone. I'll keep all these ideas in mind if the problem persists. I very much appreciate all the help.

I'm not so much worried about what the person reads on my blog because I've always been pretty open about myself and my life. I'm more concerned that this person will bother my linked friends. As long as that doesn't happen, I can handle anything this person dumps my way. :)
meh - that's what the 'delete comment' feature is for :D

I do want to add, if anyone I have linked on my blog would prefer me to delete the link, just let me know. I'll certainly understand.
Never in a gazilliondy years!!

:Hug2: Joanne!

Sury

Word Worker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bghosh.cavernreal.com
I feel honored to be a part of your blogroll, Joanne. Please don't take that away from me. Dawno is absolutely right about the delete comment feature. Better still, you can moderate your comments and never allow offensive ones to be published in the first place.

Please, please don't close your wonderful blog. It's a fountain of inspiration for me every time I visit it. :)

Sury

WriterGirl2007

Black hole of writing...
Registered
Reaction score
After some long hard thought on the matter, I've decided not to worry about it. My life has always been an open book, so if the person stalking me wants to read all about my days and my wonderful Mom, let her. :roll:

I'm not going to let this person take away the only writing outlet I have right now.

You are an inspiration! I'm not that strong.