Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
My fault, Ferret. I'm always stealing my threads.
Well don't do it again.

Sheesh. You give a guy a modship and it goes to his bleeping head.

Anyway, I"m suddenly full of it.

Erm, ideas I mean. I've written something like 8000 words over the last 4 days. And I have no idea where they came from. They weren't there 5 days ago.

Flapdoodle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
So, I went to this Arlo Guthrie concert last night...

What? You don't know who Arlo Guthrie is?

*sigh* Kids!

Okay, Arlo, the son of Woody Guthrie, is a singer/songwriter who was popular in the 60s.

*sigh* Don't know Woody either, huh? Okay, surely you remember the song Alice's Restaurant. No?

*sigh*

Anyhow, Arlo talked about songwriting. He said coming up with a song was similar to fishing. You just sit there by the river waiting for a song to swim by, and when it does, you grab it and hope it's a keeper.

As I see it, writing stories is pretty much the same. Ideas seem to come out of nowhere, and sometimes from the most unexpected places.

I'll give you one of mine. Several years ago, I was standing outside my office having a smoke. When I looked across the street, I saw this older model, tan sedan parked by one of the apartments. I got to wondering who might have been driving it, and what he or she might be doing in the apartment building. The answer came to me quickly. Collecting souls. By the time I had finished the cigarette, I had a fully formed character and most of the plot. Thus was born my first angel-of-death story.

I'm curious to see how your mind works. How do you get into a story? Do specific incidents or circumstances trigger ideas, or is it some other kind of magic?

It's magic. I have an image, or an opening scene in mind, and it starts from there. For example, my latest WIP (2 months old and 55,000 words) started with the discovery of a body on the moors north of Manchester that had been "sunburnt" to death...

I occasionally just get a flash of something... Weird little ideas that get my spine tingling. May be a visit to somewhere (Recently went on holiday in Malta - lots of neolithic ruins and walled citadels! History is great for inspiration.)

Weird. I was listening to Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant the other night. I bought my daughter a CD of Woody Guthrie Children's songs sung by a British chap called Wally Whyton... They're pretty good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.