Resubmitting to an Agent

skim

I submitted my YA fiction to several agents and later rewrote it with the help of feedback they provided. Is it permissable to resubmit it to the same agent(s)? If so, should I state it was rewritten?

Story Teller

Registered
Reaction score
First I would

First I would query them again to see if they are open to resubmissions.
My understanding is that unless an editor can back up the rewrite they usually don't ask for it a second time.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
If they invited you to resubmit, then go ahead and resubmit. Mention in your cover letter that they said they'd like to see it again.

If they didn't invite you to resubmit, odds are they aren't expecting you to. But there's no reason you can't query again, mentioning you've rewritten the ms. incorporating suggestions they made and asking if they'd be interested in a second look.

Whether you did the rewrite yourself or used a paid editor won't make a difference. There are so many unqualified independent editors out there that a mention of "professional" editing probably won't make an agent any more eager to see your work (and in fact may do the opposite).

- Victoria

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, what if the ms has not been rejected YET, but it's been out there long enough that in the meantime the (naive) writer has realized that major changes were needed and incorporated them... OK, the question: is it completely unprofessional to contact the agent and say, "hey, I haven't heard from you in a while, and in the meantime I have greatly improved my ms, any chance you would take an updated version?"
Thanks!

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, what if the ms has not been rejected YET, but it's been out there long enough that in the meantime the (naive) writer has realized that major changes were needed and incorporated them... OK, the question: is it completely unprofessional to contact the agent and say, "hey, I haven't heard from you in a while, and in the meantime I have greatly improved my ms, any chance you would take an updated version?"
Thanks!

I wouldn't do this. I'd wait for replys and see if rewrite are indicated. However, if your first query is at least six months old and no reply, can't hurt to SQ the agents about its status and at the same time make reference to rewrites you've done.

Last edited:

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
If they invited you to resubmit, then go ahead and resubmit. Mention in your cover letter that they said they'd like to see it again.

If they didn't invite you to resubmit, odds are they aren't expecting you to. But there's no reason you can't query again, mentioning you've rewritten the ms. incorporating suggestions they made and asking if they'd be interested in a second look.

- Victoria

The above, from Victoria, I would do.