Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Is the first novel published? If not, then you can play with changing the first. Make it so perhaps, we the reader believe she's dead (um, I mean disintegrated), and she really isn't. You'll show the reader that in the second book. . .

And if it is, then perhaps there is a special vampire, with special powers, who can resurrect the recently departed.
First novel is not published. And as far as I was concerned, she is dead in the first novel. I was just thinking of maybe bringing her back just to vex my MC. And she was part of a group of rogue vampires, so I guess there could be some other rogue vampire with those special resurrection powers. I did mention that vampires have rudimentary magic capabilities, except for older master vampires, which have more power. So... hmmm.
Just put her ashes into an urn and have another character carry it around. She can be a wisecracking pottery sidekick.
Actually...

I like that!

So right?

So right!

Last edited:

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Or use the ash to turn her into an urn :D

Seriously, if there are dimensions involved, perhaps she managed to port herself to one the instant before she was vaporized, leaving behind only the remnants of her clothing or a skin she shed or something.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
How come when vampires burn away their clothes and shoes burn up too? Their clothes and shoes aren't undead, too, are they? Or is it like spontaneous combustion and the heat generated is so hot it burns everything. Wouldnt' it then burn whoever was staking them, too, then?

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yanno, when a vampire is exposed to the sunlight and they go "Poof" ala Buffy, or burn up ala traditional lore, why do their clothes burn too?

It's usually cotton, not vampire.

It's bugged me, too. In Buffy-style poofing, one can assume the clothing should land in a pile on the floor. But if they actually combust, then I'd guess the cotton/silk/rayon is goin' up in flame-o's. Be kinda funny if you had a punk hipster vampire in all polyester who ends up leaving behind one of those zoot suits and some patent leather shoes :D

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
TV and movies. I think it started with Buffy, but its also in the Blade movies, and others. When a vampire is staked or exposed to sunlight, or even silver, they burst into flames. Their clothes burn. Nothing remains from the combustion. Yet no one around them gets burnt. Why is that?

I actually thought about this when I wrote my WIP. A vampire has his hand on my MC's shoulder when he is exposed to sunlight and my MC gets a really nasty 2nd degree burn on his shoulder.

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
Well, as I said, she was but a minor character and vampires haven't been fully thought out. She was used to introduce the werewolf character my MC helplessly falls in love with. You see, werewolves don't become savage killing animals when the moon is full. They change at will. The reason they are so associated with the full moon is because they go into HEAT when the moon is full. They give off were-pheromones that drive each other crazy and they run around screwing like rabbits, villagers with torches be damned, and that's where the current myths of savage beasts baying at the full moon really comes from. (and the were-pheromones are the reason the MC falls helplessly in love. He's sensitive to them.)

Were-humping, were-humping, Sis, Boom, Ba!

With the amount of paranormal romance/ erotica lately, I can see the possiblities of this hitting the shelves. On the Laurell K, note; never worry about trying to compete with her or others. Just have fun. I dug her earlier Anita books until they hit hard core, mostly because it became "difficult" to enjoy the read while my children kept interrupting me. (Whatcha reading? What're they doing? Why's your face all red, daddy?) And don't forget, Anita was a prude for mutilple books. She refused to sleep with the monsters, and now can't stop! What a whore. (hope she didn't hear that)

Good luck and have fun!

Pike

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Ed, may I give it a try????

Ok. So the house burns, the firefighters hose it down, turning everything into muck. Arson investigators and police then tramp through the muck.

Crime scene abandoned.

Dry weather. Wind blows dust into corner where it accumulates. Rain...turns it into muck again. Dry, wind ..rain..dry..wind, leaves snow. freeze, thaw, rain, muck.

Leaves...organic on top of muck.

Mold/spores/fungus/spores.

MUSHROOMS!!!

Rat eats mushrooms...Rat..developes unholy tastes.

Rat is eaten by...fox!!!

Fox becomes too intellegent, but not intellegent enough to avoid getting trapped in some kids trap, where it dies, and 'fruits' and the kid comes back to his trap and the fruiting'vampire infected' fungi get their spores into an open cut...freeing the vamp DNA into an unsuspecting victim.

HUH???? Will that work?

...do I get a beer?

I was thinking... and stop the wise cracks!.

Yeah...he's not a smart ass!

No. Arthur was enchanted and paced into suspended animation instead of dying. To rise again when Britain needed him.
Zombie.

Ageless Stranger

Dave Brubeck kicks your ass.
Registered
Reaction score
What about if she does indeed come back as normal, but as the dust from the house was mixed with her vampiric dust, she comes back different e.g; parts of her body are wood, some parts are stone and so on. Could be very cool.

Eudaemonic

what? why!
Registered
Reaction score
If someone's suspending their disbelief enough to read about vampires I don't think they'll care how you bring her back.

Also - everyone makes up their own rules don't they?

As long as it's sort of logical - if you can have logic and vampires existing at the same time that is - you will get away with it.

I don't like vampires unless it's a comedy - they are either maudlin or mental

nessam

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I agree with the above. I've read it all and have come to the conclusion that if it's my book it's my rules. As long as you don't go entirely out of the vampire realm I don't see it as a problem.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
If someone's suspending their disbelief enough to read about vampires I don't think they'll care how you bring her back.
What? Why would you suspend belief? Are you saying you don't believe in vampires?

Seriously. No. There's a whole canon of literature. History. Legend. Myth. I try to be true to what came before and only make minor changes. In fact, authors who don't honor the past or convention, I don't bother reading. It would be like someone calling something a Hobbit, but it's a 15 foot giant. Wrong.

As long as it's sort of logical - if you can have logic and vampires existing at the same time that is - you will get away with it.
Again, you don't believe?

I don't like vampires unless it's a comedy - they are either maudlin or mental
Wow. Personally, I don't get people who don't like vampires. I think they're one of the most interesting of the horror monsters.

Eudaemonic

what? why!
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, just my own personal opinion SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eudaemonic

Seriously. No. There's a whole canon of literature. History. Legend. Myth. I try to be true to what came before and only make minor changes. In fact, authors who don't honor the past or convention, I don't bother reading. It would be like someone calling something a Hobbit, but it's a 15 foot giant. Wrong.

Maybe I should have said variations on the theme.

Best of luck though - just because they're not to my personal taste doesn't mean that there aren't thousands who love vampires - which I know there are.

My prejudices are showing, I'd better go change.

Kerr

I vant to bite you
Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking... and stop the wise cracks!

In my story, there are many dimensions and although I describe the vampiress being dessicated and turned to dust, it could have been part of the spell the demon was using and she was merely transported to another dimension (like how transporters on Star Trek work, disassembling molecules here and rearranging them elsewhere) where she sits until someone frees here. Which my MC could do unintentionally.

But I'm still willing to entertain any other suggestions. This is fun. :)

Hmm. I already have a scene where my MC throws garlic gloves at the vampire until she leaves. When they strike her they leave little scorch marks on her skin.

Hmm..., this sounds like something from the old Superman comics. Toss the bad guys into the 1st dimension, flattened out like a bunch of pancakes, until some unlucky schmuck comes along and sets them free by default. Fact is, anything goes as long as its done well. Didn't Lestat return after being bled out and left for dead in a burning building? And everyone cheered, at least until he joined the rock band. I say Anne Rice went over the line with that and got a bit too modern.

xDemode

Buying a stairway to hell.
Registered
Reaction score
If your vampire walks in broad daylight, doesn't crave blood, loves humans and kittens and sings 'these are just some of my favorite things', then I generally cringe and cry unless there's a damn good reason behind it. If your vampire is like that, why not just make them a human? If I wanted to read a story about someone with HUMAN characteristics, I wouldn't have picked up a story that's supposed to be about VAMPIRES. I'd go and read one of the million other novels that don't have vampires in it.

Now I'm all bothered.

And you know what else I hate? No? I'll tell you. I hate vampires that come up with these cute little pet names for humans and NEVER STOP SAYING THEM. And it's always something stupid/in a different language like 'ma petite' or 'mademoiselle'. I'm going to create a vampire and he's going to call the MC 'whore' every single time he says something to her. He'll be from France and he'll think that in English, whore is a term of endearment.

"Hello, whore. How are we today?"

"Do not fear, my precious, little whore."

"I do not wish to speak with you today, whore."

THAT'LL LEARN 'EM.

Bleh. Now that the rant is over with. . .

RESURRECT YOUR VAMPIRE!
Make it plausible. Make it good. The rest will take care of itself.

edit: I'm actually lost. I can't find the beta reader section for the life of me.

edit#2: FOUND IT!

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ah, this female vampire called my MC "mon amour" all the time. In an affected French accent. But my MC explains early on:

"What is it with you vampires and those goofy European accents?" I asked. "You can't all be from Europe. Do you suffer from Bela Lagosi envy?"

Eudaemonic

what? why!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm European. So I would be allowed. If they are really ancient, they could speak Latin.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum old boy. Da mihi sis bubulae frustrum assae, solana tuberosa in modo gallico fricta, ac quassum lactatum coagulatum crassum.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I'm European. So I would be allowed. If they are really ancient, they could speak Latin.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum old boy. Da mihi sis bubulae frustrum assae, solana tuberosa in modo gallico fricta, ac quassum lactatum coagulatum crassum.

*scratches head*

Now I finally understand why I was never selected for the Latin Honor Society.

Kerr

I vant to bite you
Registered
Reaction score
*scratches head*

Now I finally understand why I was never selected for the Latin Honor Society.

Hey! Thought you was dead? Oh..., you the walking, talking, head scratching kind.

xDemode

Buying a stairway to hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, this female vampire called my MC "mon amour" all the time. In an affected French accent. But my MC explains early on:

"What is it with you vampires and those goofy European accents?" I asked. "You can't all be from Europe. Do you suffer from Bela Lagosi envy?"

I hope I didn't offend you. I've just always had a problem in real life with being called things like honey, baby girl, and sweetie. So I naturally get upset when I read them.

Nice quote, by the way. Very funny.

qweenie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on a vampire novel myself, so I will stick my neck out and give a big amen to the "screw the traditionalists" side of the arguement.

Yes, there are certain traits a vampire needs to have. No denying that. Drinking blood. Aversion to daylight. Immortality. To me, those are staples. If I'm reading a vampire book and any of those are missing, I would want it to be explained or I'd be a bit annoyed.

But what is the realm of fiction for if not giving you the freedom to create your own world? It's your story - do what you want to do with it.

randomsome1

Registered
Reaction score
Website
randomsome1.greatestjournal.com
What I'd worry about is how hard it'd be to feasibly kill a character and bring them back--and what it'd look like to the readerbase. It usually comes off looking like the author doesn't have the stones to actually kill characters and leave them dead. I've dropped a series because of things like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.