AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: B.J. Robbins Literary Agency

Learning to read more, post less

B.J. Robbins Literary Agency

Has anyone had any dealings with BJ Robbins of Robbins Literary? What have your experiences been? Thanks!

giving resonant directions JamieFord's Avatar
    She sat on a few agent panels at the Squaw Valley Writers Conference last year. She seemed to know her stuff. I queried her earlier this year and she requested a partial, but I didn't hear back in time and ended up going with another agent. She reps James D. Houston, among others and has quite a few deals listed on Publishers Marketplace.

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
    , a New York Times Bestseller. Or a handy paperweight.
    www.jamieford.com @jamieford

Thanks, Jamie!

practical experience, FTW Spiny Norman's Avatar
    I sent her an email broswer-butcheried query and she kindly replied to it. She seems okay. Most just wouldn't have to the drek I sent her. (accidentally)

Thanks, Spiny. Good to hear she sounds kind.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    I'm not finding a website, so here's her AgentQuery page (which in turn links to her Publishers Marketplace page for more info). http://www.agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=291
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 11-03-2007 at 05:23 AM. Reason: unabbreviating
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Thanks, CaoPaux!

practical experience, FTW WordGypsy's Avatar
    I've just added her to my "to query" list...I'll let you know how it goes.
    A Touch Mortal--Feb 22, 2011!!GreenWillow/HarperCollins

I'm on Goodreads! http://tinyurl.com/ydkadyp
    Preorder A Touch Mortal: http://tinyurl.com/235ssax

practical experience, FTW
    I've talked to her at conferences. Nice, smart. But doesn't like Ann Patchett's novel Bel Canto, which I find puzzling. But I find her very easy to talk with.

Here's her biographical notes from the upcoming SDSU conference (http://www.ces.sdsu.edu/writers/) :

B.J. Robbins is a literary agent who opened her Los Angeles-based agency in 1992 after a long career in book publishing in New York, both in publicity at Simon & Schuster and then as a senior editor at Harcourt. Her agency represents non-genre fiction, both literary and commercial, and general nonfiction, with a particular interest in memoir, biography, narrative history, pop culture, sports, travel/adventure, medicine, and health. Her clients include J. Maarten Troost (The Sex Lives of Cannibals and Getting Stoned with Savages), Craig Ferguson (Between the Bridge and the River), James D. Houston (Snow Mountain Passage and Bird of Another Heaven), Tim Madigan (I'm Proud of You: My Friendship with Fred Rogers), Eduardo Santiago (Tomorrow They Will Kiss), Los Angeles Times columnist Chris Erskine (Man of the House), and Wendy Werris (An Alphabetical Life: Living it Up in the Business of Books). A member of AAR and PEN USA West, she has taught publishing programs at UCLA, UC Irvine, and at the Squaw Valley Community of Writers Fiction Workshop. She will conduct consultation appointments.

From Macmillan New Writing, September 7, 2007. (Pan mass-market paperback in September, 2008). In the UK at Goldsboro Books, Borders, Waterstones, and other fine bookstores. Overseas, Amazon.co.uk and most other online retailers.

Drop through Tomorrowville and say hello...

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Got a quick kind rejection from Lindsey Morrone of this agency.

I just got a request for a partial from her last night, so I'll see how it goes.
    Garmani

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

practical experience, FTW
    How long did it take you guys to hear back from a query? I sent one a while ago and haven't heard yet.

Quote Originally Posted by gettingby View Post
    How long did it take you guys to hear back from a query? I sent one a while ago and haven't heard yet.
    I submitted a query a year ago that I'm still waiting on. Others I've received responses within one-two months. I think the "average" is like six months.
    Submissions: 17
    Rejections: 16

---
    "Writers take a tour in other people's lives." - Harlan Ellison

figuring it all out
    Got the following rejection:

I'm sorry to say that Lindsey Morrone is no longer with the agency and we are not taking on any children's projects at this time. --BJ Robbins Literary Agency

Anyone know where she went? Thanks for any info!
    Rest in peace Don LaFontaine, the real movie announcer guy. Can you imagine the symphony of Don, James Earl Jones and Charlton Heston having a conversation?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Blueridge's Avatar
    Received a form rejection from BJ three weeks after sending a snail mail query.

Worst song played on ugliest guitar Libbie's Avatar
    I got a partial request from BJ within 24 hours of querying her via email. She seems very professional and friendly. I'll update the thread with the outcome and wait time.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin sbgloss's Avatar
    I've got a full with BJ Robbins right now. She replied to my email query in less than 24 hours asking for the full MS.
    Last edited by sbgloss; 08-18-2010 at 11:54 PM. Reason: specificity

figuring it all out
    As anyone worked with Amy Drake?

practical experience, FTW pavtbr's Avatar
    It has been a long time since anyone has posted here. Has anyone had any contact with Ms. Robbins lately? I am sending her an email query for my historical fiction. Will post back when/if I get a response, though it sounds like she is a no-response = no agent.
    Bryan

Received an auto response within minutes:

Thank you for contacting us.

We have received your query and will consider it carefully, but please
    know that we will only respond to those projects we wish to pursue.

Sincerely,
    BJ Robbins Literary Agency
    Last edited by pavtbr; 05-16-2012 at 10:36 PM. Reason: add that I received auto-response

Whose Name Is Writ in Chocolate DeniseDewriter's Avatar
    I queried her in September of last year, and received a very nice note back a day later, complimenting me on my "excellent query letter" and requesting a full. I sent it and we communicated again in December, after I attended a conference and had acquisition editors from two of the big publishing houses request pages. She responded to that email immediately as well, and asked for the names of the editors, which I provided. Then nothing. Nudged. Nothing. Nudged again. Still nothing. I am flummoxed. I was really impressed with her responsiveness and professionalism, and she seemed like a really nice person besides. Was very excited about the possibility of having her represent me and my work. The complete break in communication is mystifying.

Happily stuck in the 19th century IsabellaCranford's Avatar
    I've had a full requested from BJ Robbins, a mere three hours after the one-page e-query. Fingers crossed that she's interested!

Quote Originally Posted by IsabellaCranford View Post
    I've had a full requested from BJ Robbins, a mere three hours after the one-page e-query. Fingers crossed that she's interested!
    Good luck, Isabella!
    J.B. Kantt

WIW (~70K), TZS (~83K), SP (~53K), and ZT (~52K) : Shelved ... For Now

RAR: Now Available on Amazon! (~62K words)

TSW
    : Querying

ZA: Outlined, will be written soon

Stop by my blog sometime!
    J.A.Y.A.! (Journey of an Aspiring Young Author)

If you want to query Ms Robbins, check out this youtube interview she does on what she likes/dislikes in query letters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvqcE57tWdk

greg

Met Ms. Robbins at a conference over the weekend. To my surprise, she requested a full. I liked her energy. And that she's worked as a publicist. She was easy to talk to. Not holding my breath but glad to have a request...
    ...my blog: Family Objects - stories and pictures