Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Upfront Publishing Ltd. / Minerva Press

practical experience, FTW roger's Avatar

Upfront Publishing Ltd. / Minerva Press

The firm doesn't exist anymore. It was an outfit called Minerva Press and they went bust (there is some justice in the world). It was interesting talking to him though. He said that the firm was even misleading in the way it recruited people, as they passed themselves off as legitimate publishers, hiring very good English graduates who naively thought they were getting a first step on the publishing ladder. He got out pretty quick when he realised what was going on - ie that they would publish anything that was submitted, even highly objectionable and inflammatory material, with no hope - or serious intention - of marketing the books. And of course the authors paid. Through the noses. They had one success, amazingly, of a book that sold quite well, and used that to sucker everyone in.

I think they went bust because of the rise of print on demand. No need anymore for would-be authors to buy garage-fuls of unsellable books.
    http://rogersplog.blogspot.com
    http://www.myspace.com/gentleaxe
    http://www.myspace.com/rogernmorris

"Lush, and exceptionally compelling, but take your time - R.N. Morris's The Gentle Axe has a vast depth of Russian soul; mysterious, compassionate, and utterly irresistible." Alan Furst.
    "CSI: St Petersburg." The New York Times Book Review.

Not really the right forum, but I do have to wonder why they would bother with hiring 'very good' english graduates or even 'moderate to poor' english graduates.

Unless they offered an editing service to milk more mula.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    They went bust (in 2002) because they were a scam. They were sued by more than 40 of their authors, and were the subject of two exposes on the BBC.

Here's one writer's experience with Minerva.

- Victoria

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    For those keeping score at home, Minerva's catalog was bought in 2003 by Upfront Publishing (another vanity pub). http://www.upfrontpublishing.com/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Just to add to the dodgyness of upfrontpublishing, they've sent my library stock of one of their titles with an invoice for payment.

We didn't order the stock and won't be paying for it.

Heh. Is the author a local?

Aside from that, how's the quality? Worth shelving, or destined for the sale table? Or *gasp* straight to the recycling bin?
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

It looks pretty similar to other self-published titles I've seen. We do get them in sometimes but we usually request them first.

"Upfront Publishing has now merged with Fast-Print.net"

... aka Printondemand-worldwide.com. Thread on them is here.
    ICAO
    ---------