The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: The Paula Balzer Agency

jcosta

Question The Paula Balzer Agency

Does anyone know anything about Paula Balzer? She used to be with Sarah Lazin but is out on her own now. She requested sample chapters off my query so just wondering if anyone has had any contact with her. Thanks.

I heart Malamutes! :-) JerseyGirl1962's Avatar
    This, from P&E:

Paula Balzer: $ A literary agent (Literary, Adult) with Sarah Lazin Books

This page has more info on her and her own agency (a couple of novels sold, a few non-fiction books).

She has a website here, but it's currently under construction.

This lady recently signed with her (scroll down to see it).

~Nancy
    Screw the new blog, I've resurrected my old blog: Writerly Stuff.

I twit, therefore I am?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison

It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous. ~Robert Benchley

practical experience, FTW scriptor's Avatar
    About Paula Balzer, does anyone know if she is taking on any new unpublished authors? Thanks ahead of time ya'll.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    jcosta, nothing personal but shouldn't you be asking before you query?

jcosta
    Sorry, maybe I should have been more clear in my original post. I researched her before I queried, and I know about the books she's published and that she's definitely legit. I was more looking for anyone who had personal experience with her.

Scriptor, she is definitely taking new unpublished authors. She left Sarah Lazin recently and is trying to build up her list with new people as well as those who went with her, judging by all the info I found. Hope that helps.

practical experience, FTW

Paula Balzer Agency

Anyone have any experience with Paula Balze? She has her own agency now, but she used to work for Carlisle & Company and Sarah Lazin Books. Thanks.

What? I have a title? Julie Worth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gettingby View Post
    Anyone have any experience with Paula Balze? She has her own agency now, but she used to work for Carlisle & Company and Sarah Lazin Books. Thanks.
    Here’s Paula Balzer’s page on agent query. Note the spelling of her last name.

According to AQ, "Does not accept email queries" :-O

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Paula Balzer Agency

FYI. I tried her website www.pbliterary.com and nothing came up. In the 2010 Literary Guide to Agents it says you can query with email or by post with SASE, but agentquery.com says she doesn't accept emails. I queried her in 2008 by snail mail with a single sample chapter (Literary guide says she wants fifty pages) and she responded within a week. So post is probably your best bet. I don't send fifty pages off the bat anymore unless it's a follow-up request. Waste of paper.

Goddess of Rationalization Hathor's Avatar
    It doesn't seem that she is an agent anymore:

http://publishersmarketplace.com/members/memoirista/

She's listed as planning to attend the Writer's Digest Conference in 2012. Link is a list of agents attending.