The importance of having a good editor

Michael Murphy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelmurphy.me
The following appeared in today's issue of the Idaho Statesman newspaper. Really. I just had to share:

Sen. Larry Craig will stay in the U.S. Senate through the end of his term, despite a Minnesota court's strongly worded denial of Craig's effort to clear his name after his arrest and guilty plea in a men's room sex sting. Craig will now face the full glare of a Senate Ethics Committee investigation and the ire of Republican Senate leaders who say they feel as though Craig has gone back on his promise to step down after news broke of his arrest at the Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport.

But Craig's decision to stay in the Senate means exposing himself to a full Ethics Committee investigation into his conduct.

Exposing himself to the Ethics committee? This demonstrates the importance of having someone else edit our work, as we don't always see what we write.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The following appeared in today's issue of the Idaho Statesman newspaper. Really. I just had to share:

Sen. Larry Craig will stay in the U.S. Senate through the end of his term, despite a Minnesota court's strongly worded denial of Craig's effort to clear his name after his arrest and guilty plea in a men's room sex sting. Craig will now face the full glare of a Senate Ethics Committee investigation and the ire of Republican Senate leaders who say they feel as though Craig has gone back on his promise to step down after news broke of his arrest at the Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport.

But Craig's decision to stay in the Senate means exposing himself to a full Ethics Committee investigation into his conduct.

Exposing himself to the Ethics committee? This demonstrates the importance of having someone else edit our work, as we don't always see what we write.

Oh, my. I suspect the needed word here is "subjecting." Then again, he isn't accused of exposing himself to anyone, is he?

And every newspaper I've work for always has at least one editor who goes over the reporter's article, and often two.

Perhaps not surprisingly, something these "goofs" are not goofs at all. They're a reporter having fun, and an editor letting him.