The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

FAQ: Using Microsoft's OneNote for Outlining and Note Taking

Similar to the files in the above post, I use OneNotes which can be found in the Office 2007 package.
    It's just like having a notebook full of papers and oodles of tabs. For me, this is perfect, since I move from country to country & really don't have a sense of humor when it comes to lugging all my notebooks (I won't allow them to be packed/shipped only to be lost) instead of a change of clothes.
    AND it's simple-stupid...which...since I'm blonde...need I really say more?

NaNoWriMo

Website

TWITTER

.99 Kindle/Amazon

EPIC FANTASY ROMANCE
    No matter the century she's born into, he finds her . . .

Microsoft 2007 OneNote.
    Notebook style.
    You add as many tabs as you want. Name the tabs. Add pages needed behind each tab. Does the same EXACT thing as a paper notebook w/o having to lug around every notebook when you want to work somewhere other than your office/desk.
    I'm just sorry I didn't realize this was loaded into my laptop until about 2 weeks ago!
    Excel remindes me too much of my accounting days.

NaNoWriMo

Website

TWITTER

.99 Kindle/Amazon

EPIC FANTASY ROMANCE

Also forgot to mention:
    In OneNote, if you go into Format, you can change the big white page to look like ruled paper (college, wide, extra wide, or extra thin), and/or to resemble graph paper.

Your notes/writing can even be moved around the page in the exact same way that is done in desktop publishing. This is ESPECIALLY handy when wanting to MAP your ideas, outlines, essays....

I've found this program to be most useful in keeping all of my characters profiles organized (I write epic, so there are quite a few), and it's right at my fingertips when I need to check a character habit/fact...or add a quick something, or new character. I've broken it down into Main Characters and Minor Characters, each having their own 'section'.

If you're like me, and have a couple of books going at the same time, or even an idea for another book while working on present WIP, it's great to start a new notebook for 'Ideas' and jot down those 'scenes' that come to mind, so you don't lose the 'great idea' while finishing present works.

Hope all this helps. I've found it to be awesome. I know Excel rocks, but for me, all those columns...bleh...I've never been a wiz at that kind of stuff. I need good old fashioned paper and pen; however, because I move all over the world, I can't afford to lug allllllllll my notes all over the bloody place, so this OneNote thing has been a prize!

NaNoWriMo

Website

TWITTER

.99 Kindle/Amazon

EPIC FANTASY ROMANCE

practical experience, FTW archerjoe's Avatar
    I second the kudos for One Note. I use it for writing outlines for scenes, character bios, timelines, keeping track of backstory and anything else that doesn't go into the actual document.

I have other WIPs on the backburner and whenever I think of something appropriate for one of those, I can quickly go to that notebook and add it.
    It's time to use the big hammer

Quote Originally Posted by silvertouch View Post
    Will try OneNote.
    I loves me my OneNote. And this is from someone who generally can't stand MS products (even though I quite good with Word....I still don't like it). I quite honestly don't know how I managed to write a four-book series without it!
    Changing Gears (available now) -- Winning the race doesn’t equal winning at life.

The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

Author website | Author blog

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin thoroughgreg's Avatar
    Hey all - Check out Evernote too, you can create as many notebooks as you want with any number of notes per notebook. You can also record ideas via webcam/audio, clip files, important pictures, etc...I use it for organizing outlines, fleshing out characters, etc.

The Best Place In The World...Absolute Write!!
    I just use Microsoft One Note or Notepad for my brainstorms. I've been using them both lately. I use One Note for short brainstorms, short ideas, and when the idea is a little too long, I use Notepad.

practical experience, FTW Rockweaver's Avatar
    i used MS Word for the outline and OneNote for my notebook to keep all my odd thoughts in.
    OneNote became part of MS Office in the 2010 edition prior to that it was a add on you had to pay a mint for.

this is the link to the MS site for the product
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/onenote/
    i started using this for work and it took me about 3 weeks to see how it could help with my book project.
    now its not for everyone and i don't make a dime for telling you about it. but it is a good tool for you to know about.
    2 projects to write
    3 projects to edit
    7 days a week that i work
    Needs a real day off

Happiness is like a bird. The damn thing keeps flying away. Next time I find it I will shoot it and have it stuffed.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin KyleDuncan's Avatar
    I've heard of OneNote, but never figured out a system to organize everything on there! Using it to organize ended up driving me batty. Do users of OneNote have a particular manner they set up the OneNote notebooks so as to be more user friendly? Sorry if I missed a previous posting about this. Just curious how you set yours up.