• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Thread formerly known as Index

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
B&BC is for discussion of all agents and pubs, not just the questionable ones. And you'll note there's a big red AVOID next to their entry in the Index.

ETA: Ah, I see I left out an AVOID on a sub-listing. Gimme a sec...

ETA2: There. They've changed their name so often, I'd reversed the cross-reference.

I'm now going to merge this thread with the Index thread.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
To commemorate the Pub Scrub of Jan '10, some shiny new data: We now have listings for 1000+ publishers (268 inactive) and 950+ agents (113 inactive).

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
It's been Suggested that markets which accept short-form fiction and such be highlighted in some way. To that end, I'm playing with different symbols to use. Since there's so much overlap with online markets, I'm hesitant to introduce a new color for the text, but a colored symbol would work, if it didn't throw off our spectrum-challenged readers. :)

Anyway, I've gone through and added "¥" to the self-named magazines for now, and will mark the journals, anthology markets, etc. once I decide how to do it.

So, is "¥" enough? Bigger? In color? ¥ ¥ ¥. Other symbol options: ¶ € ¤ ƒ ¿

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
*cricket, cricket*

Yes, well then, I guess y'all get what you're gonna get. And you'll like it. :tongue

And here's fair warning that my next Real Soon Now project is overhauling the Other section, so now's your chance to suggest new/different section headings. E.g., I'll be breaking out Submission Services with their own heading, and probably Content Sites from Job Listings.

dreamer89

Registered
Reaction score
so I'm new to the board and just wanted to thank you CaoPaux for this AMAZING list that you've compiled. It's so helpful! I just discovered it today and was thrilled to find more agents to query. Thank you! :)

Sagittarius

Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone know the number of agencies in NY alone? Legitimate ones, that is.

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
I'd like some differentiation between POD publishers and scam publishers as well in the list based on AW findings. Makes it easier for those looking for an agent/publisher.

Something like red for those listed as unacceptable (scam) and some indication for POD publishers.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Are all the publishers and what not on the list American? If so, is there a similar list for British publishers?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, there's some from all over (and down under). Aruna compiled some UK agents here and here, too.

Scribly

I a reel good riter.. i sware.
Registered
Reaction score
Agents by Genre?

Been doing a lot of trawling in the Sea of Agents lately, and I was wondering if there is a listing by the genre they represent... something like the alphabetical version (which is fantastic) in the Bewares setion, but by genre.
Thanks.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Lessee, last year was the Pub Scrub, so this year it's an Agent ... uh ... um, nevermind. Oh, look, data! 1,010+ agent listings, with 271 inactive, and 1,275 pub listings, with 277 inactive. Shiny.

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
I too wanna say this thread is greeeeat, I would go nuts in this forum without it :D

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Agent Listing

Been doing a lot of trawling in the Sea of Agents lately, and I was wondering if there is a listing by the genre they represent... something like the alphabetical version (which is fantastic) in the Bewares setion, but by genre.
Thanks.

Hi Scribly, also try Publisher's Marketplace. User-friendly searches. US$20/month subscription to access the database but worth it if you get all your information within that month and send your queries out soon after. You can cancel any time.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
*zzzzzaaaap!!!* Ain't no more. :D

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
<PSA> The AW crash today took out a week's worth of posts and threads (back through 7/6). I'll sniff through cache for discussions and stuff, but I'm leaving the reposting of response times and such to y'all. </PSA>

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Fair warning, y'all: I'll be going through Publishers in the next week or so to mark those that've died unnoticed since the last cull, and catch up on labeling which take short stories, etc. Now's the time to order in dust masks and tarpaulins, as well as offer any suggestions re: how I might make the Index more usable/useful to you. :e2poke:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
'Tis done. Currently 1500+ publishers/pub services with 433 dead/inactive. (And, for the sake of continuity, we're up to 1075+ agents; 278 inactive.)