The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: INDEX TO AGENTS, PUBLISHERS, AND OTHERS

figuring it all out
    Thanks, but the problem was that I was seeking out the screen-play agents so kind of needed to be able to see which were green (or else there wouldn't have been a problem).
    You're absolutely right that no way works for everybody, but I just wanted to highlight that users with red/green eye problems will find this difficult to follow if after one specific colour code.
    Then again, I hope that I'm the only user here with this problem...

Again: thanks for your time in compiling the list.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    After mulling the color issue, it occurs to me I could use little-used symbols instead. Maybe œ for ebook/online markets and § for screen/script agents. Thoughts?
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

figuring it all out
    CaoPaux,

That would be great; no need to adjust the colour scheme though as others have obviously had no problems with it.
    No need to rush putting in the symbols either, but it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

One vote's good enough for me. I'll play with it over the weekend.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Alrighty, I've added symbols, which at the least will give y'all something to use "Find Next" upon.

And for those playing along at home, we've got approx. 750 agent listings (80 inactive), and 840 pub listings (152 inactive).
    ICAO
    ---------

Confused

I don't quite understand something...there is a lot of information on here about how AEG (Writer's Literary Agency, Strategic, etc.) are bad and that they are being sued by Florida Attorney General. I am very appreciative for the info, but while searching the thread about legitimate agents and publishers you guys have AEG listed there. Isn't that a bit misleading for authors? I mean, you are giving them the name of this group as a potential agent or publisher to pursue when you know that they are shady? Have I missed something?
    http://pmadams.wordpress.com

http://ilovesmalltowns.blogspot.com

The Return - Outline finished, working on first draft

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    Bewares and Background Checks is for any publisher or agency that anybody has questions about, regardless of legitimacy.
    Last edited by BenPanced; 09-21-2009 at 09:38 PM.
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

B&BC is for discussion of all agents and pubs, not just the questionable ones. And you'll note there's a big red AVOID next to their entry in the Index.

ETA: Ah, I see I left out an AVOID on a sub-listing. Gimme a sec...

ETA2: There. They've changed their name so often, I'd reversed the cross-reference.

I'm now going to merge this thread with the Index thread.
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 09-21-2009 at 09:46 PM.
    ICAO
    ---------

Thanks! Sorry, just got a little confused.
    http://pmadams.wordpress.com

http://ilovesmalltowns.blogspot.com

The Return - Outline finished, working on first draft

To commemorate the Pub Scrub of Jan '10, some shiny new data: We now have listings for 1000+ publishers (268 inactive) and 950+ agents (113 inactive).
    ICAO
    ---------

It's been Suggested that markets which accept short-form fiction and such be highlighted in some way. To that end, I'm playing with different symbols to use. Since there's so much overlap with online markets, I'm hesitant to introduce a new color for the text, but a colored symbol would work, if it didn't throw off our spectrum-challenged readers.

Anyway, I've gone through and added "¥" to the self-named magazines for now, and will mark the journals, anthology markets, etc. once I decide how to do it.

So, is "¥" enough? Bigger? In color? ¥ ¥ ¥. Other symbol options: ¶ € ¤ ƒ ¿
    ICAO
    ---------

*cricket, cricket*

Yes, well then, I guess y'all get what you're gonna get. And you'll like it.

And here's fair warning that my next Real Soon Now project is overhauling the Other section, so now's your chance to suggest new/different section headings. E.g., I'll be breaking out Submission Services with their own heading, and probably Content Sites from Job Listings.
    ICAO
    ---------

figuring it all out
    so I'm new to the board and just wanted to thank you CaoPaux for this AMAZING list that you've compiled. It's so helpful! I just discovered it today and was thrilled to find more agents to query. Thank you! :-)

Banned
    Does anyone know the number of agencies in NY alone? Legitimate ones, that is.

Banned
    I'd like some differentiation between POD publishers and scam publishers as well in the list based on AW findings. Makes it easier for those looking for an agent/publisher.

Something like red for those listed as unacceptable (scam) and some indication for POD publishers.

banned as an incurable tosspot
    Are all the publishers and what not on the list American? If so, is there a similar list for British publishers?

Nope, there's some from all over (and down under). Aruna compiled some UK agents here and here, too.
    ICAO
    ---------

banned as an incurable tosspot
    Thanks, that will really help.

I a reel good riter.. i sware.

Agents by Genre?

Been doing a lot of trawling in the Sea of Agents lately, and I was wondering if there is a listing by the genre they represent... something like the alphabetical version (which is fantastic) in the Bewares setion, but by genre.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Scribly View Post
    Been doing a lot of trawling in the Sea of Agents lately, and I was wondering if there is a listing by the genre they represent... something like the alphabetical version (which is fantastic) in the Bewares setion, but by genre.
    Thanks.
    May I recommend Agent Query and Query Tracker?

I a reel good riter.. i sware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Parametric View Post
    May I recommend Agent Query and Query Tracker?
    You know those times when you just feel plain stupid? Having one of those. (but thanks!).

You know those times when you just feel plain stupid? Having one of those. (but thanks!).
    You're welcome.

Lessee, last year was the Pub Scrub, so this year it's an Agent ... uh ... um, nevermind. Oh, look, data! 1,010+ agent listings, with 271 inactive, and 1,275 pub listings, with 277 inactive. Shiny.
    ICAO
    ---------

yoghurt elf say wheeee! yoghurtelf's Avatar
    I too wanna say this thread is greeeeat, I would go nuts in this forum without it

practical experience, FTW Purple Rose's Avatar

Agent Listing

Thanks.
    Hi Scribly, also try Publisher's Marketplace. User-friendly searches. US$20/month subscription to access the database but worth it if you get all your information within that month and send your queries out soon after. You can cancel any time.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast