• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Thread formerly known as Index

June Afternoon

You put Ginger Clark next to Writers House, but she works at Curtis Brown Ltd.

Just a heads up.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, she moved from Writers House to Curtis Brown. I'll make the change, thanks.

(If y'all could PM me with changes, I'd 'preciate it. Help keep this thread tidy. :Hail:)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Happy New Year! :Sun:

I'll be revamping Others and Misc. next week. Along with general housecleaning, I'm contemplating a full overhaul of the FAQ section (currently Misc.), including titling individual threads like in the PA Index (which I'll get to next, promise). Would y'all find this useful or confusing?

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Alrighty, I've reorganized the Other and Misc. sections, as well as updated the Intro post. Please let me know if/how things work for y'all.

(If a Mod wants to boot any of the general threads to Roundtable, etc., just let me know what's moved so I can clear out the links.)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I fixed the straight/smart quote SNAFU that screwed some links. Let me know if I missed any. :Hammer:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
More reformatting to save wear 'n' tear on your scroll wheel. PM me if I gludged anything. :e2sling:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Derek, as per the first post in this thread, this is NOT the place to ask questions about agents. I split off your first question, and will do the same for this one. Please read the thread before posting again. Thank you.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
As well as the writers' association(s) catering to that genre: the SFWA, MWA, RWA, etc. all have market listings.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Huh. Sorry about that: fixed.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Just to clarify; Diggory Press / Exposure Publishing / Meadow Books is (or was) owned by one Rosalind Miriam Franklin, but it has disappeared off the internet since before Christmas 2008. The 'affiliation' with CheckPoint Press came about when she basically misused a CheckPoint Press ISBN - which in turn has caused a few search engines to automatically presume CheckPoint Press is an imprint of Diggory / Exposure.
She used another publisher's ISBN? You can now see the whites all the way around my eyes. That's a level of gormless villainy I haven't seen since the time Vanna Bonta replaced her novel's copyright page CIP (Cataloguing in Publication) Data with sales copy.

Grandmaster

Registered
Reaction score
I really do hate to complain - especially given the incredible amount of effort you've obviously put in - but I'm kind of colour-blind and the black and the green both look like the same colour for me on that light blue background.
Thankfully there's not a great deal of red as that just plain hurts my eyes!

Anyway, thanks for this reference... I just wish I didn't have to sit so close to the screen, squinting as I read it...

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
'salright, its a law of the 'Net that any given format won't work for everybody.

Have you delved into your browser's advanced settings? Some will display a page with "No Styles", giving you straight black text on white. On Firefox, it's under the View menu --> Page Styles.

Grandmaster

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, but the problem was that I was seeking out the screen-play agents so kind of needed to be able to see which were green (or else there wouldn't have been a problem).
You're absolutely right that no way works for everybody, but I just wanted to highlight that users with red/green eye problems will find this difficult to follow if after one specific colour code.
Then again, I hope that I'm the only user here with this problem...

Again: thanks for your time in compiling the list.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
After mulling the color issue, it occurs to me I could use little-used symbols instead. Maybe œ for ebook/online markets and § for screen/script agents. Thoughts?

Grandmaster

Registered
Reaction score
CaoPaux,

That would be great; no need to adjust the colour scheme though as others have obviously had no problems with it.
No need to rush putting in the symbols either, but it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
One vote's good enough for me. :D I'll play with it over the weekend.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Alrighty, I've added symbols, which at the least will give y'all something to use "Find Next" upon.

And for those playing along at home, we've got approx. 750 agent listings (80 inactive), and 840 pub listings (152 inactive).

pmadams

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pmadams.wordpress.com
Confused

I don't quite understand something...there is a lot of information on here about how AEG (Writer's Literary Agency, Strategic, etc.) are bad and that they are being sued by Florida Attorney General. I am very appreciative for the info, but while searching the thread about legitimate agents and publishers you guys have AEG listed there. Isn't that a bit misleading for authors? I mean, you are giving them the name of this group as a potential agent or publisher to pursue when you know that they are shady? Have I missed something?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bewares and Background Checks is for any publisher or agency that anybody has questions about, regardless of legitimacy.

Last edited: