The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: INDEX TO AGENTS, PUBLISHERS, AND OTHERS

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    And now for a moment of d'oh!

If you've (ever) emailed me via my profile and not received a response, it was purged without me seeing it. Fixed now (I hope).

I apologize for any inconvenience and/or feelings of neglect.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    So are all these reps ones we should be on the look out for as far as scammers? And a lot of these come from Inktip.com right?

Are you asking if everyone listed in the Index is a scammer? No, not at all. It is simply a list of the people and companies that folks have asked about here on AW.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

I heart Malamutes! :-) JerseyGirl1962's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmNoir3k
    So are all these reps ones we should be on the look out for as far as scammers? And a lot of these come from Inktip.com right?
    FilmNoir3k,

"Reps" are points you give to others here on AW if you think they've contributed something you've found helpful or worthwhile.

You'll see 3 "thingies" in the lower left of your post: a light (green if you're currently on the board), reputation points (looks like a scale), and offensive posts (the exclamation point). If you click on the one in the middle, you'll be taken to a screen for that particular where you can tell that person why you're sending them a rep point.

~Nancy
    Last edited by JerseyGirl1962; 08-09-2006 at 10:38 PM.
    Screw the new blog, I've resurrected my old blog: Writerly Stuff.

I twit, therefore I am?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison

It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous. ~Robert Benchley

I figured s/he was abbreviating "representatives".
    ICAO
    ---------

Scribe of my muse, Annabelle Jack_Roberts's Avatar
    Question...

I need to know which agents are actively looking for young adult fantasy novels?

This list is amazing, but I have no clue which ones to try.

HELP! J
    Scott Bryan
    (Not Jack Roberts)

Site & Blog:
    http://night-children.blogspot.com/
    Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/#!/scott_bryan1692
    Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!...?id=1659674089
    Search for Night Children Dark Threats and Night Children Dark Birth on Amazon

If you can't lay hands on a copy of Writers' Market or Jeff Herman's Guide, sites like http://www.agentquery.com/ allow you to search by interest, genre, etc.

Be sure to cross-reference any agent (or publisher) you're thinking of querying with the list here, at Preditors & Editors, and with Writer Beware.

Best of luck!
    ICAO
    ---------

Scribe of my muse, Annabelle Jack_Roberts's Avatar
    Thanks!
    Scott Bryan
    (Not Jack Roberts)

Site & Blog:
    http://night-children.blogspot.com/
    Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/#!/scott_bryan1692
    Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!...?id=1659674089
    Search for Night Children Dark Threats and Night Children Dark Birth on Amazon

Being edited for submission SJAB's Avatar
    Not sure if any one has posted this, but it's a link to an online version of the Writers' & Artists' Year book. You still have to do the normal amount of leg work, cross checking etc, but it is helpful.

http://www.writersservices.com/agent/uk/index.cfm

How do I find out the names of agents for books I like?

Some of them have the agent's name in the acknowledgements, but there are several where I can not find who the agent is...

Thanks

Check the publisher's webpage. The rights/contact info for a particular book/author is usually via the agent. Otherwise, a useful search string is "author's name" +agent. For example, Googling "Stephen King" +agent results in: http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ng%22+%2bagent
    ICAO
    ---------

thanks i have tried meredith books website but it only has a list of books in their catalog so i didn't make much progress but i will try the google search.

For those keeping score at home, we have 500+ each of agents and pubs, and add about a dozen (of each!) every month.

Real Soon Now, I plan to reduce the dead pubs, etc. to a single line. Maybe like:

Capri Publishing Link 1 Link 2

Any other suggestions while I got 'er open?
    ICAO
    ---------

And now, back to Plodding! Duncan J Macdonald's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux View Post
    For those keeping score at home, we have 500+ each of agents and pubs, and add about a dozen (of each!) every month.

Real Soon Now, I plan to reduce the dead pubs, etc. to a single line. Maybe like:

Capri Publishing Link 1 Link 2

Oooo! Oooo! Free Beer and Wimmen?
    R/
    Hamster #164

Absolutely Fazed
    Here's a nice one that would take a while. What if the titles were edited to indicate whether the thread referred to an agency, publisher, editor, or whatever else is appropriate. For example:

[AGENCY] Laura Langlie Agency
    [PUBLISHER] Mardi Gras Publishing

I know some are obvious, like the two above, but some are less so, such as the one titled "Andrea Somberg."

I would be willing to do this, for the record. I wouldn't make a suggestion like that and expect someone else to do the work.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    I can make the changes, as the threads bubble up to the top.

I'm already editing thread titles from things like "Question About Publisher" to whatever the publisher's name is.

Over time it'll all work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan J Macdonald View Post
    Oooo! Oooo! Free Beer and Wimmen?
    Sorry, all I got are Mai Tais and cabana boys. I hear there's a Hooters down the block, tho'.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAccurate View Post
    Here's a nice one that would take a while. What if the titles were edited to indicate whether the thread referred to an agency, publisher, editor, or whatever else is appropriate. For example:

[AGENCY] Laura Langlie Agency
    [PUBLISHER] Mardi Gras Publishing

I know some are obvious, like the two above, but some are less so, such as the one titled "Andrea Somberg."

I would be willing to do this, for the record. I wouldn't make a suggestion like that and expect someone else to do the work.
    Heh. If a mod sees fit to do it, more power to 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
    I can make the changes, as the threads bubble up to the top.

I'm already editing thread titles from things like "Question About Publisher" to whatever the publisher's name is.

Over time it'll all work out.
    ICAO
    ---------

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
    Yes, I'm doing that too, as well as combining threads where appropriate.

- Victoria

And now, back to Plodding! Duncan J Macdonald's Avatar
    Sorry, all I got are Mai Tais and cabana boys. I hear there's a Hooters down the block, tho'.
    Dang! Cabana Boys are not my cup of Tais.
    R/
    Hamster #164

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Talia View Post
    How do I find out the names of agents for books I like?
    Also, Google on "[Author's name]" + "represented by"

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Lydia Manx's Avatar

Heh. If a mod sees fit to do it, more power to 'em.

Cabana boys...hmmm...Okay I was going to give Godiva chocolate as a thanks for all the hard work.
    Velvet kisses
    Soft memories
    Frame my world

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    I'm not liking the [Agent] and [Publisher] thing--I think it's intrusive, and, in many cases, redundant. Plus, people aren't being consistent with the labeling.

- Victoria

IMO, there's rarely a need for extra labeling, since hovering one's cursor over a thread will reveal what it's about.
    ICAO
    ---------

Absolutely Fazed
    I disagree, CaoPaux. As an example, in the Robert Guinsler thread, hovering over the title gives me, "Hello, first time posting! This is a great site for us writers! I was given a lead and his na"

True, it's not necessary when the name of the agent/publisher is obvious (i.e. Jane Dystel Literary Management,) but in the above situation, it's nice to know at a glance what the thread is discussing.

Presuming Guinsler isn't folded into another Sterling Lord thread, a better title would be "Robert Guinsler at Sterling Lord Agency", or some such.
    ICAO
    ---------

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast