• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Thread formerly known as Index

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And it is, without doubt, the single most valuable of all the valuable assets of AW. I can't tell you the number of times it's kept me from making stupid mistakes.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your hard work.

At the risk of being redundant, I'm just going to quote what I said last year.

Thank you for your continuing hard work, CaoPaux!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that was a slog 'n' a half ... 2341 publishers, 953 inactive. (And, as traditional to add: 1192 agents, 469 inactive.)

Found some positively mortifying typos (and introduced others, I'm sure). Please don't hesitate to ping me should you find one. 'Specially those which affect alphabetization. :rolleyes:

Also, a reminder re: searching -- the easiest way is Find On Page, which is Ctrl-F for PC folks, and Command+F for Mac.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow - nearly half have gone inactive? That's a sobering reality.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that was a slog 'n' a half ... 2341 publishers, 953 inactive. (And, as traditional to add: 1192 agents, 469 inactive.)

Found some positively mortifying typos (and introduced others, I'm sure). Please don't hesitate to ping me should you find one. 'Specially those which affect alphabetization. :rolleyes:

Also, a reminder re: searching -- the easiest way is Find On Page, which is Ctrl-F for PC folks, and Command+F for Mac.

The typos were introduced by the software, I'm sure. And what an incredible amount of work—thanks so very much.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

What an amazing amount of work. Thank you, CaoPaux

ejr

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of this agency? They say they represent screenwriters. I couldn't find them on this forum. They aren't on Predators & Editors, either. Thanks.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
question about the Index to Agents/Publishers/Others thread

is there any way to know without clickin on each link to read all the separate threads about them....just to find out if they are good or bad?

like...a cliff notes list of all the ones that are worth sending to?
i'm just looking at the agents list.....

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
There is no such list, because a good agent for one person is going to be a bad agent for someone else.

Don't create your submission list based on the index list here: use it to check the list once you've put it together.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
What Old Hack said. It's safer for every author to do their own research, because they know their books and writing situation best. If you're looking for a short cut - chances are you may not be as ready to publish as you think. Keep in mind that 'just' the agent research and querying process can often take several hundred tries and a few years, if it's successful at all. This is not usually a fast stage.

About now you might be tempted to say 'screw this' and just self-publish, which has perils of its own for the unwary.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Dittoing Old Hack and Filigree--researching agents is not a step to look for a short-cut on. Have you made a list of that you're looking for in an agent yet--things like communication style, whether they're editorial or hands-off, etc.? That will help as you do your research.

But really, this is not something you should rush through.

ETA: Do your initial research on sites like Querytracker and Agentquery and Manuscript Wish List to find agents who rep your genre/subgenre. Then you can use this site to refine your list.

Last edited:

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
i'm not rushing. i've been doing this in waves for 11 years. and i don't just send to anyone...i do check out the websites first....and what not.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Just a heads-up that I'll be sifting Agents this week. *pauses to boggle how time flies*

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Done! 1188 agents, 533 inactive.

(also, 2411 pubs, 967 inactive)

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Cao, you are a marvel. I applaud you.

Dmbeucler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmbeucler.blogspot.com
Has this list been updated since it was published 12 years ago? Thank you.

Yes. The wonderful CaoPaux (all hail her name) goes through all the links (and adds them) for a particular category each year. Agents were updated earlier this year. It's a ton of work, and she is amazing. If you check previous pages of the thread, CaoPaux updates everyone about which section she is working on each year. :)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
New threads are Indexed every week, actually. ('Cept this past week, natch. I'll catch up on Monday, I swear. :D)

If you're having trouble finding something, check the first post here for search tips, or PM me for help.

Frank67

Registered
Reaction score
So, I've found the jobsite. Am I doing first plumbing or taping the drywall. This index should, please Lord, don't be upset because I'm an atheist, make things much simpler.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea--zero, none--what you're talking about. You do know AW is a writing site, yes?

Frank67 is making a joke, based on a post on another forum about not knowing good markets to submit to. Guess you had to be there. ;)