• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] MasterpieceFactory, Inc.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Okay, I found this from another author group I belong to. I think this one needs some serious BEWARE warnings:

http://www.masterpiecefactory.com/opportunities.html

Among the things to beware of here -- this <ahem> publisher attempts (I say attempts because I don't think it's enforceable since there is no actual contract in place at the time) to take exclusive COPYRIGHTS until they reject it. Actual wording from their website follows:

By submitting your peace you the author assign MasterpieceFactory exclusive Copyrights until such time your proposal is rejected in writing by MasterpieceFactory.

Other items that give me (and some other writers) pause:

Submissions cannot be rescinded prior to being rejected or accepted by Masterpiece
If your manuscript is accepted for publication, we will contact you and explain the editorial and publishing process and your involvement in it.
MasterpieceFactory has the right to edit and alter the peace in anyway it deems necessary.
If your manuscript is chosen for publication MasterpieceFactory Inc. will offer a contract to purchase FULL COPYRIGHTS from you the AUTHOR of said works.
All proposals will be considered on a work for hire bases.

Ummm...yeah, please notice that these folks have the right to edit and alter your PEACE in anyway they deem necessary.

Might want to keep an eye on this one.

Susan G.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Also:

"The stories may have any theme or subject that shows a person successfully managing a circumstances that has threaten your life and overall well being."

Couldn't read any more.

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Also:

"The stories may have any theme or subject that shows a person successfully managing a circumstances that has threaten your life and overall well being."

Couldn't read any more.

Yeah, I can't wait to have them edit my PEACE when they had so much trouble editing their own website. <sigh>

Susan G.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Okay, I found this from another author group I belong to. I think this one needs some serious BEWARE warnings:

http://www.masterpiecefactory.com/opportunities.html
Thanks for the warning. That one looks really bad.

Actual wording from their website follows:

By submitting your peace you the author assign MasterpieceFactory exclusive Copyrights until such time your proposal is rejected in writing by MasterpieceFactory.
The terms are so bad they remind me of some of the early (and doomed) ebook firms that opened up -- and then closed, probably when they found that they could not attract serious authors with such terrible contracts. The mistakes in wording made me wonder if they were based in another country, although of course I know lots of native-born speakers who make similar mistakes. (I just wouldn't view them as suitable publishers.)

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, did you check out the Books Available page?

$19.49 for a 36-page paperback. All five books listed are by a single author. Could it also be the owner of the "publishing company"?

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I can't believe no one noticed this one...
All submissions that are not in English may be translated by translation software.
:Wha:

Oh if only I had kept my homework from French class. I could have submitted that!
:e2smack:

And then there's "Because of the amount of manuscripts we receive and our process for considerations please allow up to 12 months for us to accept or reject your proposal."

They're dreaming, right? :rolleyes:

I wonder how long before they come over and defend themselves?...

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
I can't believe no one noticed this one...
All submissions that are not in English may be translated by translation software.
:Wha:

LOL- I noticed it. I just didn't mention it.

Hey, we all know how incredibly ACCURATE those translation softwares are, too, right?

I wonder how long before they come over and defend themselves?...

LOL - I wondered the same thing. Might be interesting. :popcorn:

Susan G.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I looked up the publisher in Amazon, and all the books are by Christopher A. Chaplin (although one has a co-author). They all seem to be books about living with ADHD and autistic children -- which is a noble endeavor. Too bad they had to ruin that by creating one of the worst publishing contracts I've seen in years.

One of them includes the Search Inside (TM) feature activated. Doesn't that cost a small fortune for the publisher? It seems to be a picture book geared toward ADHD, etc. But that's a fortune for that sort of book. FWIF the Amazon sales ranking for that title is 699,081. That's better than the ranks for many of PublishAmerica books, but that's still high (meaning very few sales). It's amazing that anyone is buying a paperback 38-page-long picture book for almost $20. Maybe it's so hard to find specialized material along that lines that people are willing to pay the price. Maybe he has found a niche. However, the system that works for him won't work for most other writers.

Oh, and they have a YouTube video. I hope someone has a chance to check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUAmHIFVdHY

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
No activity since 2007. I've said my peace.

Last edited: