• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Braggs Literary Group (Jeremy Braggs)

Victory

Registered
Reaction score
Here in Oklahoma a new author was just realeased, her name is Ebony Farashuu. She gave the agent's name of Jeremy Braggs of the Braggs Literary Group, in her recent press release. I can't find anything with this name. Has anyone heard of or dealt with this group?

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
According to this site, Ms. Farashuu was his first client. But, her book is being published by Kobalt Books. Here's the thread on them, which seems to indicate they may be a vanity publisher. I'd be wary of Braggs with no other information to go on.

Victory

Registered
Reaction score
I've read those same posts. I don't know what to think of Kobalt though. HMMMM. It doesn't look as if they have very many authors either.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
An "agent" who sells within two weeks to a vanity POD publisher? Run. Fast.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
If you look at the Kobalt website:

http://www.kobaltbooks.com/main.htm

There are some red flags in their FAQs, e.g.:

From the Kobalt website (bolding mine):

Our extensive distribution network ensures your book is available at thousands of brick-and-mortar bookstores across the country and at online bookstores such as Barnes & Noble.com and Amazon.com.

"at" is not the same as "in" (in fact, it's the kind of wording PA uses). Usually, a book is available at a bookstore because someone's put in an order - that suggests to me that it's POD. In fact, the kicker is later on down the page here:

From the Kobalt website (bolding mine):
Your book will be available for order at thousands of bookstores including online retailers such as Barnes & Noble.com and Amazon.com.

From the Kobalt website:
We help you make your book stand out with a professionally-designed custom cover.

That's really not a selling point. All books should have a professionally-designed customised cover. The fact that they have to stress this is worrying.

From the Kobalt website:
Kobalt Books pays a royalty rate of 20% of net receipts.

Net receipts doesn't sound like a good deal to me - how do you know what's been taken off to calculate your royalty? I've always thought that royalties were calculated by jacket price but someone else should jump in and let me know if I'm wrong. I'm particularly disturbed by this:

From the Kobalt website:
Royalties are based on the payments we actually receive from sales of printed copies of your book, less any shipping & handling charges or sales & use taxes. We offer discounts to retail and wholesale customers. The royalty amount you receive is XX% net profit the publisher receives.

From the Kobalt website:
Kobalt Books will scan cover graphics and author photos for an additional fee of $25 per graphic.

They shouldn't be charging anyone for that.

From the Kobalt website:
Single-spaced is the best way to submit your new manuscript to us.

I don't think I've ever come across a publisher who wants single spaced manuscripts - all of the ones I know insist on double spacing so they can make notes.

Reading all that, I don't know why any agent worth his/her salt would want to submit a book there - particularly as there's no mention of any advance being paid, which means the agent won't have made any commission on the sale.

ETA:

Of you could just check out the thread on Kobalt Books that DeadlyAccurate linked to and which I managed to miss. Gah.

MM

Last edited:

Victory

Registered
Reaction score
If you look at the Kobalt website:

http://www.kobaltbooks.com/main.htm

There are some red flags in their FAQs, e.g.:

"at" is not the same as "in" (in fact, it's the kind of wording PA uses). Usually, a book is available at a bookstore because someone's put in an order - that suggests to me that it's POD. In fact, the kicker is later on down the page here:

That's really not a selling point. All books should have a professionally-designed customised cover. The fact that they have to stress this is worrying.

Net receipts doesn't sound like a good deal to me - how do you know what's been taken off to calculate your royalty? I've always thought that royalties were calculated by jacket price but someone else should jump in and let me know if I'm wrong. I'm particularly disturbed by this:

They shouldn't be charging anyone for that.

I don't think I've ever come across a publisher who wants single spaced manuscripts - all of the ones I know insist on double spacing so they can make notes.

Reading all that, I don't know why any agent worth his/her salt would want to submit a book there - particularly as there's no mention of any advance being paid, which means the agent won't have made any commission on the sale.

MM
They MUST be in cahoots with PA.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Victory:
They MUST be in cahoots with PA.

No - not really. There are sadly plenty of publishers out there with terms that are unfavourable to authors, which have nothing to do with PA.

MM

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like Farashuu was Braggs' one and only client.