I'm considering e-publishing. Could someone start me off with the basics?

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've had no luck getting an agent for the last year or so, so maybe it's time I started examining other options even while I continue my trek through Query Letter Hell. E-publishing has recently been brought to my attention, and while I would much rather publish an actual paperback, it's better than nothing.

Problem is, I don't know a damn thing about e-publishing, having never even downloaded a book. I would very much appreciate if someone explained it to me. How the process works, who the major online publishers are, how much an author earns for each download, how popular this particular medium is, or whatever it is that I need to know. And is there any way, if my book sold fairly well online, that I might later get someone to publish it as a paperback?

My manuscript is for a dark, low fantasy novel, if it makes a difference.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Unless it is a very traditional kind of story epublishing is probably not a good choice. And I say that as a happy ebook writer. The only place I know of that sells much in the way of fantasy is Double Dragon--and even then I am not sure how well it does. Just my 2c. You might try Samhain (see sig).

I gave some general info in your other thread.

Last edited:

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've had no luck getting an agent for the last year or so, so maybe it's time I started examining other options even while I continue my trek through Query Letter Hell. E-publishing has recently been brought to my attention, and while I would much rather publish an actual paperback, it's better than nothing.

Problem is, I don't know a damn thing about e-publishing, having never even downloaded a book. I would very much appreciate if someone explained it to me. How the process works, who the major online publishers are, how much an author earns for each download, how popular this particular medium is, or whatever it is that I need to know. And is there any way, if my book sold fairly well online, that I might later get someone to publish it as a paperback?

My manuscript is for a dark, low fantasy novel, if it makes a difference.

Check out the e-pubs where your work looks like a fit, then buy a couple books to see what they like, and what the books read like.

That will answer a lot of your questions.

Regards,
Scott

Deleted member 42

First, you've not tried nearly long enough to have your book bought by a conventional publisher.

But.

Why not look at www.lulu.com instead of e-publishing?

You can have a paperback, and sell it online.

But seriously, you haven't tried long enough. Keep in mind that e-publishing or using a self-publishing option like Lulu will make your book less valuable in that you've used the "first" rights of publication.

Jeff Colburn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CreativeCauldron.com
I agree with Medievalist, it's only been a year. I wouldn't start to worry unless you have no luck for 2-3 years. And yes, finding a publisher can be hell, it's part of the joy of being a writer.

If you do epub it's the same as traditional publishing. That is, you need to do a lot of promotion to get people to buy your books. You will need to do press releases, book signings, articles on topics that relate to your book, and much more. The book you must read is "1001 Ways to Market Your Books" by John Kremer. You can read a review on my site at http://www.creativecauldron.com/library.shtml

I would also suggest reading my article "Publishing Information For Genre Writers" here http://www.creativecauldron.com/articlewriteGenrePub.shtml

Have Fun,
Jeff

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I agree with Medievalist, it's only been a year. I wouldn't start to worry unless you have no luck for 2-3 years.

I wrote a romantic fantasy in 2002 and sent out over fifty queries before an agent offered me representation. If she hadn't done so, I would have kept on submitting until I'd run out of agents, and at that point I'd have bitten the bullet and sent the entire thing to one of the publishers which asks for the full manuscript. Consider at least a few more submissions to agents or publishers before you e-publish.

Chicken Warrior

Ahead of Your Time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teenebooks.com
I understand your impatience and I wouldn't rule out agents, but I wouldn't rule out e-pubs, either. Try and get a traditional one with a free POD option. There are a few e-pubs (likee LBF) that are actually considered 'real' or 'full' houses in many circumstances. Check out http://www.epicauthors.com/ and browse their sites. How long is your book? A lot of small/e-pubs like novellas in the 30,000 - 50,000 word range, and a few of them are semi-literary and quite respectable.

klnappier

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.KLNappier.com
I understand your impatience and I wouldn't rule out agents, but I wouldn't rule out e-pubs, either. Try and get a traditional one with a free POD option. There are a few e-pubs (likee LBF) that are actually considered 'real' or 'full' houses in many circumstances. Check out http://www.epicauthors.com/ and browse their sites. How long is your book? A lot of small/e-pubs like novellas in the 30,000 - 50,000 word range, and a few of them are semi-literary and quite respectable.

I'm with everyone else recommending that you keep beating the traditional bushes a bit longer, but I also agree with CW on the above suggestions. I'm an author at Double Dragon Publsihing (DDP) and my novels do respectably there. They tend to be mysteries or thrillers with a paranormal or supernatural bent. However DDP's biggest sellers are sci-fi and fantasy, though the scales lean heavily to the sci-fi end.

DDP has a good rep in the industry and has been around a long while. They also have a paperback option, but that hasn't worked as well for me. But that could just be me.

E-pub options and paperback options are different animals and publishing with an e-pub doesn't necessarily hurt your chances with a paperback pub. It just depends on the publisher. Some have little or no interest in ebook publishing, so couldn't care less about you signing on with someone for e-pub rights only. Just check around.

But, in the meantime, don't you give up. It usually just takes a bit longer than any of us think it should. Good luck~ Kathy