• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Adams Media Corp. / Crimson Romance

Willowwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, they plan to offer all books in POD within a few weeks after digital release.

My book is scheduled for release on August 13 (just over 3 months after contracting it).

That is so fast. You must not have had a lot of edits!

Mustafa

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Infamous and Dark Obsession are very, very nice covers indeed. They don't say that they are only interested in erotica. I'm going to try them with a novel I wrote a while back. It's very tame, but the main arc is romance, so perhaps they'll like it.

Good luck

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Infamous and Dark Obsession are very, very nice covers indeed. They don't say that they are only interested in erotica. I'm going to try them with a novel I wrote a while back. It's very tame, but the main arc is romance, so perhaps they'll like it.

Good luck

They are a romance imprint and publish sweet to spicy romance, not erotica. So maybe your book is good fit. Send in a query!

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Erin, congrats - that's amazing!

If you don't mind me asking - what's Crimson's royalty rate on e-books? I looked on their site, but couldn't find any info. Thanks!

Erin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I just heard of their new YA imprint, Merit Press but I can't find a link for it. Does anyone have more info on it?

Erin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I just heard of their new YA imprint, Merit Press but I can't find a link for it. Does anyone have more info on it?

They don't have a website yet, nor have they published their submission guidelines. I received the guidelines from my Crimson Romance editor, but I'm not sure if I can share them. I'm supposed to talk to their managing editor soon (hopefully this week! *nail biting commences*) and will ask. They are seeking contemporary, and are not looking for paranormal/SF&F/speculative fiction.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I actually was stupid enough to submit to Crimson first, not realizing they only take adult. But when I did the editor gave me a link and an email address as to where to send my YA query. I just wanted to know if they had a site, but you answered that already. Thank you again! Good Luck to you also.

qdsb

Cynical Idealist
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure about rules for cross-posting in different threads and not sure about which thread is best for this (Adams/Crimson or something in the Romance section)...but Crimson Romance is currently running a Query Letter Contest:

http://www.crimsonromance.com/sweepstakes/

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
Info update on Crimson Romance an imprint of Adams.

They have an odd 'subscription service' model to give readers access to all the books on the site. $12.99 for a month or $59.99 for a year. You cannot purchase individual books here which is--IMO--really weird.

This is from their page about their subscription service.
---

1. Register/Log in
  2. Subcribe
  3. Get instant access to all Crimson Romance eBooks and look for new titles each Monday.
  4. Select a Crimson Romance eBook to read.

• Select Read Online to read online with the site's online eReader. (Note: You must be online to use this eReader. An option to read your eBook offline is to download and utilize other eReader software such as Adobe Digital Editions.)
  • Select Download Mobi to read the eBook on your Kindle. See the FAQ for steps to loading the mobi file onto your Kindle.
  • Select Download ePub to read the eBook on other eReaders such as the Nook, Sony eReader, iPad, etc.
----

Not sure how well this works for readers. Not every reader is going to be interested in every book that comes out which means--from a reader's perspective--you might wind up paying for a monthly subscription to get a month of no books you want.

They also don't offer any excerpts to draw readers in and give them a reason to pay for a subscription.

Their about page goes on to list all the various businesses under Adams Media but does not give the names of any owners or staff anywhere. Mailing address under their 'contact' page goes to a snail addy for F+W Media, and an email address for Crimson's customer service. Still no info on the people who own the company.

Last edited:

Erin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Michael, Crimson Romance is an imprint of Adams Media which is owned by F+W Media...who has been around for nearly a 100 years. F+W Media is the parent company of Writers Digest and puts out various series like the Cup of Comfort books, runs Digital Book World, etc. You can find more info about F+W @ www.fwmedia.com

As for the Crimson subscription plan: it's just one way of "buying" their books. All books are sold individually at all the usual ebook retailers, just not on Crimson's website.

For anyone interested in Merit Press Books, they have a temporary webpage at Adams Media with submissions guidelines.
http://www.adamsmedia.com/merit-press-books

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com

Erin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Okay, I've heard of writer's digest of course. Didn't know they were that diversified through various arms of the company.

They also own a couple other fiction imprints: Tyrus Books (their F+W Crime community which is partnered with the founder of Bleak House) and Prologue Books. In their Merit Press announcement earlier this year, they said they had other new imprints in development and would announce this year. Haven't seen anything new yet.

I wonder if they pay advances with Merit Press. Their covers look awesome!

Yes, they pay advances. I agree, their covers are beautiful.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for answering that question, Erin.

Does anybody know if they sell their books in actual stores?

Erin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Thanks for answering that question, Erin.

Does anybody know if they sell their books in actual stores?

Merit launches their first titles in December, so nothing is available yet (although you can pre- order now). As far as I know, they have traditional print distribution.

KatMo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
crackedandbrokenglass.blogspot.com
Updates on Crimson?

I'm new to the forums so I am hoping I am posting this in the correct spot, but please correct me if I'm wrong:

Does anyone have any updates on Crimson Romance and how they are? I submitted and they accepted my MS and am currently looking over their contract. I've made some changes and they seem to be amenable to them, though I did have a concern where it states "grants to the publisher....the copyright in the work." My lawyer is looking it over, for like the hundredth time. (I'd prefer it not say the "copyright in the work" part...I have no issue giving exclusive publishing rights for the period of time, but copyright!? That makes me nervous.) Anyways...

But my real question is, how are they to work with? How's their marketing? I've heard good and bad things so I'm waffling at this point. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

htrent

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.holleytrent.com
What my boilerplate contract says is "...the Author hereby grants to the Publisher, for the duration of the copyright in the Work, the following exclusive rights:"

Then it goes on to list the formats they will and *may* exploit in the future.

The copyright is actually filed in the author's name.

And then in section 10, it details how you can get your rights back. They're not going to tie your book up until your death (and beyond).

FluffBunny

Disapproving plot bun disapproves.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
I wonder if that's related to CR going to a subscription model as mentioned by michael_b up above. I could understand it better (not agree with it, mind) since CR is charging customers a flat $12.99/month, $59.99/year rate no matter which books or how many books are read. There's no way to divvy that out between X number of writers. CR takes copyright, pays the author a flat rate and they're done with you. But the books (or, at least, some of them) are also available individually through Amazon for the Kindle, for example. So wouldn't they still normally owe royalties on those? Or not if they took copyright?

I think their hybrid subscription/individual volume model is making my head hurt. Long story short, listen to James.

ETA: Ninja'd by Htrent--that contract makes much more sense, except they can hold their rights for the copyright of the book? Lifetime of author plus 70 years? ETA: removed stupid question already answered.