• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

De Novo Publishing

Deirdre

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
Why, by putting a picture of your book on the website with the label: best selling instant classic! How can that not sell 5000? And, good Heavens, never put your book in a bookstore. Everyone knows they only sell, um, coffee, and - and T-shirts, and - um - stuffed giraffes! Yeah!

Couldn't resist; this is too funny. You people are great researchers.

You forgot: fair trade handmade handbags and jewelry.

Oh, and cute little bracelets made up of vintage typewriter keys.

Corporation research is actually pretty easy, registeredagentinfo.com has all the links, and you just enter the name, and presto. DBAs are a bit harder because they're typically at the county, not state, level.

Maybe it's that my parents were into the "know whom you're doing business with" thing, but it's an old habit for me.

Deirdre

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
LSI is just a printer. Lots of people use 'em. From PublishAmerica on up to Warner.

(Please buy that Warner book. I have a story in it.)

For a while, you could also search in Ingram and see the publisher as LSI, and that's what I was talking about earlier. Bookstores avoid those titles.

The quality of production was good (as long as the person submitting the book did it right; that wasn't always a given).

Thanks for the heads up on your story -- I have added it to my list to buy.

ETA: I said "for a while" because I'm not absolutely certain that's still the case. I no longer work in a bookstore, though I do volunteer on occasion.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Corporation research is actually pretty easy, registeredagentinfo.com has all the links, and you just enter the name, and presto. DBAs are a bit harder because they're typically at the county, not state, level.

Maybe it's that my parents were into the "know whom you're doing business with" thing, but it's an old habit for me.
That's a good site.

However, that site's link to search in Australia isn't the best one - it links to the ASIC site which only has Australian companies. A better one for Australia is www.abr.business.gov.au - which searches all Australian businesses, not just companies. (So it includes sole traders, authors etc - basically anyone who receives money who isn't an employee)

Mac

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
Once the run is complete, who owns the plates?
Scott, plates are created in offset printing and in almost all cases these days are immediately destroyed. Only if you request that they keep them around, will they store them for you.

He claims to be doing short runs, so he's not using offset printing. Digital printing have no plates.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Reusable "plates" haven't really existed since the days of hot type. That's really old technology. A lot of your photo offset the printing surfaces are created for the job and aren't really usable after you've removed them from the press.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Last books published 10/08; closed shortly thereafter.