• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

De Novo Publishing

burgy61

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
De Novo Publishing is a new publishing service for authors, similar to Authorhouse. I'm not thinking about using them, they wanted to be a friend on MySpace. Their MySpace profile list their prices for their services, here's the link. They claim to be able to have the book in the author's hands in sixty days or less.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=242503956

I also found this on My free PR site, it's an announcement about the company.

http://www.myfreepr.com/books/self-publishing-company.html

Several things they claim raised a red flag to me, I thought that I would post something here about them and see what y'all think.

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
De Novo Publishing is a new publishing service for authors, similar to Authorhouse. I'm not thinking about using them, they wanted to be a friend on MySpace. Their MySpace profile list their prices for their services, here's the link. They claim to be able to have the book in the author's hands in sixty days or less.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=242503956

I also found this on My free PR site, it's an announcement about the company.

http://www.myfreepr.com/books/self-publishing-company.html

Several things they claim raised a red flag to me, I thought that I would post something here about them and see what y'all think.

I won't friend publishers, agents or writing-related paid services on MySpace unless I'm certain they are legitimate, otherwise I'm afraid someone might see it as an endorsement.

burgy61

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I won't friend publishers, agents or writing-related paid services on MySpace unless I'm certain they are legitimate, otherwise I'm afraid someone might see it as an endorsement.

Thats the very reason they're not one of my friends, I feel the same way.

I didn't post this as any type of endorsement, theres just better people here then me to point out the problems with this publisher. These are the things that make me wonder about them.

New digital technology, sounds like they are a POD publisher.

They claim to put books in B&N and Borders, everything I've learned shows me that these companies don't stock POD books as a rule.

Putting the book out in six months or less makes me wonder what kind of editing services they offer.

They do phone interviews, a publisher wants to acquire books over the phone. That just sounds so wrong.

Oh yeah, THEY WANT THE AUTHORS MONEY!

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
And for the $995 package, they'll throw in an Author MySpace page!

Er, aren't those free, to anyone?

Anthony Stipe

From The Horse's Mouth

Thats the very reason they're not one of my friends, I feel the same way.

I didn't post this as any type of endorsement, theres just better people here then me to point out the problems with this publisher. These are the things that make me wonder about them.

New digital technology, sounds like they are a POD publisher.

They claim to put books in B&N and Borders, everything I've learned shows me that these companies don't stock POD books as a rule.

Putting the book out in six months or less makes me wonder what kind of editing services they offer.

They do phone interviews, a publisher wants to acquire books over the phone. That just sounds so wrong.

Oh yeah, THEY WANT THE AUTHORS MONEY!

Greetings Everyone -

My name is Anthony Stipe, Public Relations Director for De Novo Publishing. I have read each of your posts within this thread, and the following is my response to your concerns:

De Novo Publishing is a short-run publishing service that specializes in effective marketing and distribution of authors and their works. We are NOT a POD company because we DO print copies of our authors' books and have them stocked in bookstores and libraries through our network of distributors and wholesalers. Also, we do NOT profit from the prices of our publishing packages because all services provided (including editing, layout, typesetting, book cover design, printing, shipping, and other amenities - all of which are done in-house) are ALL included in the prices of the individual packages. Thus, the only incentive that we have (i.e. the only way that we gain financially) is the ultimate sale of our author's books; as such, this vested interest makes it imperative that we effectively market and distribute their titles.

Yes, it is true that I authored the press release regarding De Novo's services; such is my job as PR Director. Yes, it is also true that I am a newly signed author with the company; such is my prerogative as an aspiring writer. De Novo's services are readily available for all those who want to benefit from them, regardless of employment status. Such is the same with any McDonald's employee who wants to buy a Happy Meal or any manager at Rooms-To-Go who wants to purchase a furniture set; the fact that I work for the company is more a testament to my belief in what they have to offer, and less an indictment of conflicting personal interest.

In the end, as we teach our children, if you ever have questions about anything anyone is doing, your best bet is to ask that person directly. In light of that fact, each of you are more than free to contact us here at De Novo Publishing at anytime with any questions or concerns you may have about our services. Of course, should you decide to continue to commingle in ignorance of all that we do, such is also your prerogative.

Best of continued success to you in all your endeavors.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
I'm curious on how many books you have out...? Because when I search for your company I only come up with your myspace page and this thread.

If you do have books you have actually published, could you list them?

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Stipes says:
"De Novo Publishing is a short-run publishing service that specializes in effective marketing and distribution of authors and their works. We are NOT a POD company because we DO print copies of our authors' books and have them stocked in bookstores and libraries through our network of distributors and wholesalers. Also, we do NOT profit from the prices of our publishing packages because all services provided (including editing, layout, typesetting, book cover design, printing, shipping, and other amenities - all of which are done in-house) are ALL included in the prices of the individual packages. Thus, the only incentive that we have (i.e. the only way that we gain financially) is the ultimate sale of our author's books; as such, this vested interest makes it imperative that we effectively market and distribute their titles."

Okay, then what books have you published can I find in my local book stores in Oklahoma City?

Regards,
Scott

Popeyesays

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
How many copies in a print run?

Once the run is complete, who owns the plates?

Regards,
Scott

Anthony Stipe

I'm curious on how many books you have out...? Because when I search for your company I only come up with your myspace page and this thread.

If you do have books you have actually published, could you list them?

De Novo just went live with its services last month; thus, we do not currently have any books published, and our official website won't be launched until the middle of this month. We are currently using our MySpace page, as well as other outlets such as this forum, in order to recruit the initial authors who will help us lay the foundation of our business...everyone has to start somewhere.

We have signed a number of authors whose works will be published within the next two months, and I invite you to visit our website within the next two weeks in order to learn more about them.

Anthony Stipe

How many copies in a print run?

Once the run is complete, who owns the plates?

Regards,
Scott

The number of copies per print run varies depending on the package that is purchased. As I mentioned before, part of the cost of the package goes toward the actual printing of the books; thus, for the Alpha Package the print run will be between 50-100 copies, for the Beta Package between 100-200 copies, for the Sigma Package between 200-300 copies, and for the Omega Package between 300-400 copies. These books are then sold to bookstores, libraries, and other retail outlets in order to help create demand for the title, and part of the proceeds from sales will fund future print runs - which reduces the need for the author to purchase additional copies at his/her own expense.

Our standard contract length is one year, but the author is free to break the agreement at anytime, provided that s/he notify us of his/her intent to do so at least 30 days in advance. At that time, the masters are returned to the author.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
De Novo just went live with its services last month; thus, we do not currently have any books published, and our official website won't be launched until the middle of this month.

So, you are saying your promise to have books stocked in stores and libraries is based on your proven ability to get exactly zero books stocked in stores and libraries?

First, you post a recommendation for a publisher and compliment their professional manner without disclosing that you are an employee of that company -- a clear violation of ethics -- now you promise to do something that you have no track history of ever having done?

I think you are probably at the wrong place to pull your voodoo magic.

Anthony Stipe

So, you are saying your promise to have books stocked in stores and libraries is based on your proven ability to get exactly zero books stocked in stores and libraries?

First, you post a recommendation for a publisher and compliment their professional manner without disclosing that you are an employee of that company -- a clear violation of ethics -- now you promise to do something that you have no track history of ever having done?

As I mentioned earlier, we have a network of distributors and wholesalers (Ingram, Baker & Taylor, etc.) whose sole purpose is to stock copies of our authors' books in various retail outlets. Furthermore, we are rounded out by corporate professionals possessing over 50 collective years' experience in the publishing industry, with proven contacts in the retail market.

Not that any of these facts matter to you, as you've clearly already made up your mind regarding our company without even bothering to solicit the feedback of either its management team or the newly signed authors now within its fold. Regardless, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, and I have no desire to engage in an electronic pissing contest with you in order to sway it one way or another, as such an endeavor would obviously be a waste of time.

Best of continued success to you.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
As I mentioned earlier, we have a network of distributors and wholesalers (Ingram, Baker & Taylor, etc.) whose sole purpose is to stock copies of our authors' books in various retail outlets. Furthermore, we are rounded out by corporate professionals possessing over 50 collective years' experience in the publishing industry, with proven contacts in the retail market.

Not that any of these facts matter to you, as you've clearly already made up your mind regarding our company without even bothering to solicit the feedback of either its management team or the newly signed authors now within its fold. Regardless, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, and I have no desire to engage in an electronic pissing contest with you in order to sway it one way or another, as such an endeavor would obviously be a waste of time.

Fair enough, I'll let someone else explain how Ingram Baker and Taylor does not get books on bookshelves in bookstores, how publishers such as iUniverse also use Ingram Baker and Taylor, etc.

I am sure you are aware of all that, of course, which is why you rely on author fees to make sure you make money.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir

Exactly what I was thinking.

Why didn't you introduce yourself properly the first time? Please do not say it was because you were wearing your writer's hat. You are an employee of this company first and foremost. Next time you have the opportunity, try being upfront. That said, why do I get the feeling you are more than an employee? Do you also own this company or a portion of it?

As I mentioned earlier, we have a network of distributors and wholesalers (Ingram, Baker & Taylor, etc.) whose sole purpose is to stock copies of our authors' books in various retail outlets.

Do you also have a qualified marketing and sales staff?

Furthermore, we are rounded out by corporate professionals possessing over 50 collective years' experience in the publishing industry, with proven contacts in the retail market.

And they are who? Or is this a secret? It would greatly benefit you if you named your professional and experienced staff.

Are you sure you are their public relations person?

You are the first person to represent this company here at AW, and so far you are not a shining example of professionalism.

Instead of telling us how wonderful your company is and how experienced your staff is, give us some facts.

Popeyesays

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
The number of copies per print run varies depending on the package that is purchased. As I mentioned before, part of the cost of the package goes toward the actual printing of the books; thus, for the Alpha Package the print run will be between 50-100 copies, for the Beta Package between 100-200 copies, for the Sigma Package between 200-300 copies, and for the Omega Package between 300-400 copies. These books are then sold to bookstores, libraries, and other retail outlets in order to help create demand for the title, and part of the proceeds from sales will fund future print runs - which reduces the need for the author to purchase additional copies at his/her own expense.

Our standard contract length is one year, but the author is free to break the agreement at anytime, provided that s/he notify us of his/her intent to do so at least 30 days in advance. At that time, the masters are returned to the author.

Okay, by your own words you have yet to print a book, much less sell any to bookstores or libraries or even distribute ARC's.

What is the name of your distributor--I do not mean Ingrams or Baker and Taylor, or Amazon or B&N on line.

I mean actual real distributors who take catalogues into bookstores and hawk the books to the buyers.

If you don't have one of those you are dealing with your authors fraudulently.

Regards,
Scott

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
As I mentioned earlier, we have a network of distributors and wholesalers (Ingram, Baker & Taylor, etc.) whose sole purpose is to stock copies of our authors' books in various retail outlets.
This makes it appear that you are relying on Ingram, Baker & Taylor, etc to get your authors' books into various retail outlets.

1. As you know, every book printed through Lightening Source has this same network of distributors and wholesalers available to it.
2. As you also know, almost no books printed through Lightening Source are available in various retail outlets.

Can you explain why that is? Can you explain what De Novo will be doing differently?

As the public relations guy, you need to realise that the public here are very familiar with the great advantages of printing through Lightening Source .. as well as the limitations of it.

Worse still, according to your webpage, you aren't just promising your author's books are "available for order" at retail outlets. You go further and state:

http://www.denovopub.com/Publishing_Services.html said:
PUBLISHING SERVICES
We are a short-run publishing service. That means that we DO publish copies of your book, and we DO have those copies stocked in major chain & independent bookstores, libraries, and other retail outlets. (My emphasis)

As you point out - that is a promise that you have never fulfilled. Never. Not once. How is it possible to promise to get those copies stocked in major chain bookstores when you have ZERO control over the original manuscripts? You are basically guaranteeing the authors that no matter what the subject matter or quality of writing that you DO get copies stocked in major chainstores. That is a promise that is impossible to keep. And, according to the website, it is a promise with a money back guarantee!

At the moment, all you can say is that:
1. Your company has never successfully gotten a single book into a bookshop
2. Your company doesn't control some vital variables that can prevent bookshops stocking the books

Your company isn't exactly giving you much to work with !

Good luck,

Mac
(PS: Tell your company to proofread your webpage better. Your SLOGAN has a typo! "New Beginings, Infinite Possibilites" ???)

Update: Thanks - the typo has been corrected now.

Last edited:

Deirdre

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
2. As you also know, almost no books printed through Lightening Source are available in various retail outlets.

Can you explain why that is?

Having worked in a bookstore, I know what the answer to that question is: the average quality (prose-wise) of LSI titles was so low that buyers were almost universally unhappy with them. Thus, the bookstore wouldn't even special order them.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
I guess what was bothering me about De Novo Publishing, LLC is the careful way it hid all their real details from the public.

1. No names on the website.
2. No postal address. (*Updated: They've now added a PO Box #. Wow! *)
3. No real address
4. No phone number
5. Hidden domain registration
6. A company name ("De Novo Publishing, LLC") that doesn't seem to exist
(The myspace user self-identified as being in North Carolina, and this is the list of all LLC companies in North Carolina called 'De Novo Publishing' : North Carolina Business Search)

Even the contract the author had to sign avoided mentioning ANY identifying details - so who is the contract really with ?

Thank goodness there is some document meta-data to reveal the guy behind it: http://marcusharris.net/bestsellers-academy
It is also his website which hosts the publishing agreements (www.urbanechoes.net) and he and the myspace user both self-identify as being from the same city.

He self-published a single poetry book and runs seminars on how to be a best selling author.

He also claims that 'bookstores are the worst places to sell most books', which rather makes moot the promises of this publishing house, which is to get books INTO bookstores !!!

However (for the low price of only $99.95) he'll teach you "how to ensure that at least 5000 copies of your book will be sold before it is even released" .

So why bother with only doing a print run of between 50 - 400 copies? Why doesn't De Novo Publishing use his marketing techniques and do a guaranteed profitable print run of 5000 copies straight away ? Is it possible that De Novo Publishing doesn't believe that the technique really works?

Good luck,

Mac
(PS: Anthony Stipe - have you ensured that the LLC company that you are the 'Public Relations Director' of actually exists?)
(PPS: Just a minor update - I wasn't criticising the idea of self-publishing poetry. In fact, now that I think about it, ALL the poetry books I own have been self-published!
I'm sure the guy's probably a great poet.)

Last edited:

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
The number of copies per print run varies depending on the package that is purchased.

This kind of reminds me of those rich people that pay sherpas to carry them up Mt. Everest. Where's the glory?

Deirdre

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
6. A company name that doesn't seem to exist "De Novo Publishing, LLC"

[...]

(Note: The myspace user self-identified as being in North Carolina, and this is the list of all LLC companies in North Carolina called 'De Novo Publishing' : North Carolina Business Search)

I checked in the traditional alternates of Nevada and Delaware -- no luck there, either.

Looks brand new:

Domain Name: DENOVOPUB.COM
Created on: 03-Oct-07
Expires on: 03-Oct-08
Last Updated on: 03-Oct-07

Guess they expect to be around a while, huh?

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
He self-published a single poetry book and runs seminars on how to be a best selling author.

He also claims that 'bookstores are the worst places to sell most books', which rather makes moot the promises of this publishing house, which is to get books INTO bookstores !!!

However (for the low price of only $99.95) he'll teach you "how to ensure that at least 5000 copies of your book will be sold before it is even released" .

Why, by putting a picture of your book on the website with the label: best selling instant classic! How can that not sell 5000? And, good Heavens, never put your book in a bookstore. Everyone knows they only sell, um, coffee, and - and T-shirts, and - um - stuffed giraffes! Yeah!

Couldn't resist; this is too funny. You people are great researchers.