• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Great article on Novel Contracts

Risseybug

Wow, that is really useful. I bookmarked it so that I can reference it when all the contracts come in at once and I have to agonize over which one to accept :) ;)

Well, I am a fiction writer...

ramis

Registered
Reaction score
thank you very much. I have had a nibble from a small press and will use this information to get the best possible deal. :)

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
What to look for / look out for in a contract

Hello everyone,

With all the comments about scams and nasty clauses that have been known to turn up in contracts, I thought I'd ask about what to expect in a contract with a real publisher or agency. In particular:

1. What is a typical royalty these days? Are royalties on net prices best avoided?

2. What sort of common clauses may not be scams, but may be something an author would want to negotiate out of the contract?

3. What sort of clauses may seem ugly at a glance but really are standard?

4. What sorts of clauses are there that no legitimate publisher or agent would ever put in a contract?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Eek, someone can't find something! *flagellates self*

I've now grouped some threads (including your old one, Kate) under the sub-heading "Contracts". :D

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
MadScientistMatt said:
4. What sorts of clauses are there that no legitimate publisher or agent would ever put in a contract?

Any clause that states that if you say something about the publisher or agent that the publisher or agent doesn't like, you'll be fined.

Kate Nepveu

Vacuumer of Cats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steelypips.org
CaoPaux said:
Eek, someone can't find something! *flagellates self*
Don't, don't! I should flagellate *my*self because I, umm, completely forgot to check the index.

*cringes at the admission*

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
*snort* Lucky for you, 'twernt labeled as such yesterday, so you escape the wet noodle. This time. :whip: