AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Great article on Novel Contracts

Kate Nepveu

Great article on Novel Contracts

I offer the following resource that looks very useful and interesting; Laura Resnick article on negotiating novel contracts.

Risseybug

Re: Great article on Novel Contracts

Wow, that is really useful. I bookmarked it so that I can reference it when all the contracts come in at once and I have to agonize over which one to accept

Well, I am a fiction writer...

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    thank you very much. I have had a nibble from a small press and will use this information to get the best possible deal.

Always a writer Daughter of Faulkner's Avatar

Thumbs up Many thanks Kate!

Nice read. Many thanks for posting the link!
    Always a writer,
    Eileen St. Lauren
    Author

http://mysite.verizon.net/eileenstlauren

Empirical Storm Trooper MadScientistMatt's Avatar

What to look for / look out for in a contract

Hello everyone,

With all the comments about scams and nasty clauses that have been known to turn up in contracts, I thought I'd ask about what to expect in a contract with a real publisher or agency. In particular:

1. What is a typical royalty these days? Are royalties on net prices best avoided?

2. What sort of common clauses may not be scams, but may be something an author would want to negotiate out of the contract?

3. What sort of clauses may seem ugly at a glance but really are standard?

4. What sorts of clauses are there that no legitimate publisher or agent would ever put in a contract?

Here's one link that I posted to the old board but doesn't come up on search now, apparently:

Contracts: Top Ten Things to Negotiate and What's Not Worth Your Time
    By LAURA RESNICK

http://www.ninc.com/sample_articles/cntrt.asp

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Eek, someone can't find something! *flagellates self*

I've now grouped some threads (including your old one, Kate) under the sub-heading "Contracts".
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by MadScientistMatt
    4. What sorts of clauses are there that no legitimate publisher or agent would ever put in a contract?
    Any clause that states that if you say something about the publisher or agent that the publisher or agent doesn't like, you'll be fined.

Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux
    Eek, someone can't find something! *flagellates self*
    Don't, don't! I should flagellate *my*self because I, umm, completely forgot to check the index.

*cringes at the admission*

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    *snort* Lucky for you, 'twernt labeled as such yesterday, so you escape the wet noodle. This time.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: