A little daunted, a little shy, a quiet hi!

Status
Not open for further replies.

laffarsmith

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccalaffarsmith.com
Hi! I'm Rebecca Laffar-Smith and I still suffer that ugly, evil writer's block whenever I feel the pressure to talk(write) about myself. Of course, I have to get over that, writers shouldn't be afraid to boast of a little ego (at least in public) it's good for our image.

It's interesting to feel a little daunted and a little shy at the idea of roaming the busy corridors of an unfamiliar forum. It's strange to be 'the new guy' (or woman rather). Still, I hope you're not ALL as scary as you look. ;-)

I'm a freelance copy writer/editor, published poet, and aspiring fantasy novelist. The novel writing is what I'd really love to do full time but for the moment I'm pumping out (read: sluggishly and with multiple pit stops) my first novel. Meanwhile, I try to make ends meet by taking on copy editing/writing commissions, writing non-fiction articles, and occasionally writing and submitting poetry.

While all this is in the works I also dedicate a lot of time to my blogs:-

The Writer's Round-About (http://laffarsmith.blogspot.com)
A blog for writers about writing and living a writers life with the ups, the downs, and the round and round and rounds.

Kids, Pets and Family! (http://kidspetsandfamily.blogspot.com)
A site for parents dealing with the general chaos, boundless challenges and joy-filled triumphs of modern family living.

I live with my dog, cat, seven-year-old daughter and three-year-old son in the outer suburbs of Perth, Western Australia. We love our Aussie home and the easy-going lifestyle found in Perth. It's a mixture of country, suburban, and city living that melds in a pleasant harmony.

While I really love my home, I'd also love the opportunity to travel and 'see the world'. I would particularly like to travel to Ireland and the USA. I've made so many friends around the world thanks to the internet (hopefully I'll make a few more here) and I really enjoy the chance to learn about other cultures, locations and languages. Our world is an interesting place.

Well, there you go, more than two cents about me and I'm only blushing a little. It's nice to meet you all. I'm looking forward to exploring the forums and getting to know the wonderful writers who frequent them. :)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Rebecca, welcome to the Absolute Write Water Cooler. We don't bite here, at least not very often!:D

Yes, there's a lot to explore here, don't be afraid to jump right in wherever you like. The only danger here is getting sucked in to reading and writing on these forums so much that it takes away from your other writing. Don't ask me how I know this...

And to make this a Real Welcome, here's The Official AbsoluteWrite Welcome Sign:

:welcome:

:hi:

laffarsmith

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you Wendy and thank you Ben.

I'm already understanding the time warping and obsessive considerations of Absolute Write. I've been here a few hours already and barely made a dent in getting to know my way around. It doesn't help that I keep running across well-written writers with their own sites and blogs, so much to read and explore - I'm off to check out yours right now Ben. :)

*chuckles at the cute avatar/smiley* That's sweet, thanks!

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
:hi:

Welcome, Rebecca! And good luck with your novel! I'm also an editor-type person who's got dreams of becoming a full-time novelist one day.

Enjoy hanging out here. I've been here for a few months and there are still places around AW I haven't explored.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Rebecca!

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
nice intro ---
welcome and best wishes! :)

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Rebecca! Nice to meet you. Are the spring wildflowers in full display at this time of year? I'd like to visit Perth someday.
:welcome:

Nickie

Not too old to learn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nickiefleming.com
Hello Rebecca, and welcome to AW. I'm from Dendermonde, a town in Belgium (Flanders) where the living is relax and easy too. Moreover, it's a historical town (was surrounded by walls in the Middle Ages and has a town charter, handed out by my ancestor, Robert of Bethune, the then Count of Flanders). Should mention here that the son (which is a member of my family line) of Robert came from a liaison with a chamber-maid...

Nickie

laffarsmith

Registered
Reaction score
Website
*blushes* Gosh, so many lovely replies. Thank you glassquill, satori, siddow, cray, Tifferbugs, Stew, oarsman, Cynthia, horseshoes, LitFa and Nickie! *gasps and grins* I'm looking forward to getting to know your names. It's certainly an interesting collection of handles.

laffarsmith

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh, and oarsman, yes, we're getting some lovely spring flowers coming up now. Araluen will be a riot of color in the coming season. Of course, what we'd really love is a lot more rain before the summer starts to set in. It's looking like another dangerously dry year.

You really should get to Perth at some stage, it's a wonderful city. Want to know more about Western Australia and why I love it? Check out: The Sunny Down-Under: Western Australia

Minx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.knicksnknacks.bravehost.com
Hello Rebecca,

I am new myself but it certainly is a pleasure to meet you! And I totally applaud your wish to travel the world since I want to do the same thing myself. Do not let ANYONE stop you from doing that! NEVER! No matter how long it takes. You go girl! Catch you around...

Cheers!

Minx

musicalzoo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.debbiepanell.com
welcome! I've heard Australia is beautiful. My aunt went there a few years back for scuba diving and loved it!

I live in the countryside in North Carolina (southeast US). I know all about quiet! lol

You;ve got to love it though - the marching band at the local high school was practicing earlier this evening, and you could hear it in our backyard. Being a former band geek, stuff like that makes me nostalgic!

laffarsmith

Registered
Reaction score
Website
*chuckles* Thanks Doc, yeah it seems so. That's the wonderful thing about fear-associated blocks, if you decide to do it then courage takes over and it's not so hard as you feared it would be.

:) Thanks for the welcome party Jamie. lol That's quite a troupe you've got there.

Thanks for the ovation Minx. Actually making plans to get started on that travel idea in the not too distant future. (One Year Goal) We're currently in the process of applying for passports (an ordeal when you're getting the whole family's at once). It's great to meet you and thanks for the welcome. :)

laffarsmith

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Isn't it amazing the sounds that reverberate through the air and also our hearts. :) Alas, the soft spring sounds of birds and bees on the breeze seems to be getting droned out more and more often by planes. My kids love the noise of those so I guess it keeps them happy at least. True countryside would be lovely. A chance to get away. I think I'm with many writers who share a secret desire (that we whisper amongst each other) for a cabin in the mountains where I could be a hermit and spend sun down to sun up writing, every day.

Thanks for the welcome, Southern. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.