Queries/Synopsis: do you add this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I was reading over a number of synposes a women's fiction website and have a question. Do you add lines like these to your query or synopsis?

-a heartbreakingly honest, wonderfully addictive, and funny novel
-a dishy must-read whose narrator boldly and hilariously...
-delicious dose of fiction that brims with acerbic wit, dead-on satire, and finally, poignancy and heart.
-Sexy, exciting, and addictively readable.
-In this delightfully sexy, amusing romp through mishap and desire...
-With a compelling plot and writing that captures every emotion, "___" is a deeply poignant and unforgettable story.
-And readers everywhere else will be gratified by the wild ending
-"___" is a story of courage and redemption. . . of friendship and laughter. . . of love and the possibility of happily-ever-after.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I'd recommend not adding any "commercial" to your query. Who says it's "compelling, addictive, brilliant, sexy, delightful?" Ah, you, the author. Of course. It just comes off as cheesy.

All those things you listed are vague and meaningless...

Tell us what the story is about -- let the story speak for itself.

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with you both, Azraelsbane and maestrowork.
I didn't add any of that kind of stuff, but wondered if I was underselling myself without adding the "addictively readable" line, or without somehow incorporating the word "dishy." ;)
Pass me the Velveeta!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The best way is to make your synopsis and tagline shizzle. In my experience, you can make the most boring story sizzle if you phrase it the right way. That's why people pay big bucks for marketing.

Novelhistorian

Registered
Reaction score
The same rule applies in queries as in fiction--show, don't tell. Therefore, don't tell agents how good the story is; they'll have already formed their own opinion anyway. Show them.

Besides, instead of spending valuable space in a short letter on pointless adjectives, you could be telling your story, working in a facet of your MC that will compel readers, or targeting the market for the book.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Did the site recommend putting those sorts of things in?

If so, we'll need a link so we can laugh heartily. :D

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Did the site recommend putting those sorts of things in?
It wasn't a how-to write site, but rather a book review site with the book cover, name, author and a synopsis. (the word synopsis was used). I wondered if I had missed something, some new development in the query-synopsis-marketing world... an amusingly addictive romp perhaps? Maybe I should have added, "You will NOT be able to put it down" to my query? :tongue

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
Those descriptions are appropriate on a book cover synopsis, but not, in my opinion, in a synopsis you're sending to an agent/editor. The agent or editor will decide if he/she thinks your book is witty, etc. Honest.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Do you add lines like these to your query or synopsis?

You definitely don't want anything like that in your synopsis, which is a condensed narrative of the novel's events. You aren't selling anything in the synopsis, so phrases like that are pointless.

As others have pointed out, they are pretty pointless in a query, too. They are vague and a little self-centered. Agents don't want to be told that your novel is "delicious dose of fiction that brims with acerbic wit, dead-on satire, and finally, poignancy and heart." They want to see that in the writing, in the summary paragraph, and some hint of it in the sample pages.

Deirdre

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
As others have pointed out, they are pretty pointless in a query, too. They are vague and a little self-centered. Agents don't want to be told that your novel is "delicious dose of fiction that brims with acerbic wit, dead-on satire, and finally, poignancy and heart." They want to see that in the writing, in the summary paragraph, and some hint of it in the sample pages.

There's an even more important reason why one shouldn't put them in (speaking as an editor who's read a bunch): the author is typically wrong. Thus, they become unintentionally comic.

Even if the author's right, the blurb is not usually related to what I like about the piece.

Reaction score
If you praise your own novel, you're telling, not showing. ;)

No, seriously. There's a saying, "Self-praise is no recommendation." Show them what's in the book and let them decide whether it's compelling or not.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Those descriptions are appropriate on a book cover synopsis, but not, in my opinion, in a synopsis you're sending to an agent/editor. The agent or editor will decide if he/she thinks your book is witty, etc. Honest.

Oh yeah... book cover blurbs are totally different. It's a marketing tool to sell books, to entice the readers. So it's okay. Much like those "Two Thumbs Up -- Ebert and Roaper" blurbs in movie ads.

Status
Not open for further replies.