The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Magazine] Animal Fair

Aurora, CO is my new home! Mysti's Avatar

[Magazine] Animal Fair

Unfortunately, it takes someone's experience with a company to be so poor that they are seeking legal recourse. Fortunately for all of you, it was me, and I'm willing to offer some information (limited as there will be a legal action brought against the magazine, and it's owner. (Words are purposely spelled with spaces to prevent google searching by her for this information.)

I accepted a position as the Web Editor for this company and am now going to be fighting for my pay. Fair warning to everyone out there. DO NOT do ANY work for this company. Be EXTREMELY cautious when seeking out various writing gigs that contain descriptives such as, "pop culture, chefs, animals, celebrities, great content" That is how the company is described!

At the end of all that transpires, I will be able to release more information, but until that point, if you question if the ad is for that company, please PM me and I will be happy to help!!
    Last edited by Mysti; 09-18-2007 at 04:30 AM.
    Again has arrived.

Freelance Writer, Editor and Business Owner.
    www.awritersnook.com
    Hosting weekly writing contests to fill your pockets!

Mom of two very special boys to hold and one to forever remember.

"Living is a right, enjoying life is a choice!"

Troubled-Talks with animals. jdkiggins's Avatar
    The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and nowhere to go.
    I'm porting this to Bewares and Background checks, where it should be posted.
    Joanne aka: writeafterdark
    PERSEVERANCE: TO PERSIST IN SPITE OF DIFFICULTIES ~jdk http://www.moondance.org/2001/winter...severance.html

I'm proud to say Perseverance was chosen to be part of Absolute Write's Katrina anthology, Stories of Strength.
    This essay has been published 47 times since it was written.

Poise--the art of raising an eyebrow instead of the roof.

Thanks!! I thought I posted it there this morning as I was in there. I appreciate the move.
    Again has arrived.

www.awritersnook.com

I'm sorry to hear you're having this experience. I had the exact same difficulty with a former client who owed a significant amount of money. I emailed them every day re-stating the terms of our contract, and that I expected confirmation of payment immediately. I consulted with a lawyer and joined the National Writers Union.

If you're a member of NWU, you can contact the grievance department. They will draft letters on your behalf and provide you with a great deal of assistance.

Word of caution though about naming names online, as I was warned by a lawyer. As a freelancer, I appreciate your warning, and I did a similar thing to warn freelancers, but I always made sure to keep myself and the name of the company and others involved anonymous. If people want specifics they can email you directly. Maybe I'm just paranoid about libel.

Keep us updated!
    *Abra C

practical experience, FTW
    Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing, is this a magazine that focuses on celebrity pet owners with a few service articles?

I was going to pitch them.

practical experience, FTW Tsu Dho Nimh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysti View Post
    Words are purposely spelled with spaces to prevent google searching by her for this information.
    FYI, Google ignores spaces, dashes, and other punctuation when it searches.

You may want to revise it to use "leet speek" spelling, with a 1 instead of the l or the i

That usually throws it off the scent.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Mysti, a couple of things.

First, there's more than one Animal Fair. If you're going to identify something as a "Beware," it's helpful to post a link, so it's clear which Animal Fair you're talking about.

Second, if you want to keep pending legal action a secret, posting about it on the Internet is not a good way to accomplish that. You might want to reconsider whether you really want to put this information out there.

- Victoria

It is safe for this information to be out there now. This magazine was founded in 1999 by E. W. Diamond and focuses specifically on pet-owner celebrities.
    Again has arrived.

www.awritersnook.com

practical experience, FTW
    Thanks Mysti!