AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Lazear Agency (Jonathan Lazear)

Savvy

The Lazear Agency (Jonathan Lazear)

Does anyone know the current address for the Lazear Agency, or have they gone out of business? Their website, www.lazear.com, has no info. Their phone has been disconnected with no further info and the two addresses listed for them (800 Washington Ave. and 430 1st Ave. in Minneapolis) do not work.

Same with Helen Rees: 123 N. Washington and 308 Commonwealth do not work.

easywriter21

lazier agency

I tried to contact the lazier agency in Minneapolis a few years ago and found that they no longer exist...The message I got was that calls are being taken by: I called that # and left a message about sending a manuscript or talking to someone about representation...I never got a response. After doing that three times I gave up...hope you have better luck! Marty

easywriter21

Re: Lazear Agency & Helen Rees

Okay...i spelled it wrong...lazear...Mpls Johnathan Lazear...

Savvy

Out of biz

They're out of biz? That's news to me, but makes sense. I've had no response and nothing but returned mail from them. Thanks for letting me know--I'll throw the letter away now that I was saving for them. :grin

anneB

The Lazear Agency Current Address

The Lazear Agency
    431 Second Street
    Suite 300
    Hudson, WI 54016
    715.531.0016 fax

admin@lazear.com email queries accepted. no attachments, please.

Agents:
    Jonathon Lazear
    Christi Cardenas
    Julie Mayo
    Anne Blackstone

I write stuff and break boards. dragonjax's Avatar
    The Lazear Agency is very much in business. I've been in contact with both Christi and Julie, both of whom were very professional.
    "Undying Love," a short story by Jackie Kessler in FANTASY FOR GOOD - a charity anthology to help fight colon cancer

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Helen Rees Literary Agency still going strong (e.g., more than one six-figure deal this year). Contact info.

Lazear never revamped their website, so here's their PM page.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Christi Cardenas / Lazear Agency

Anyone have any recent info on Christi Cardenas, of the Lazear agency? Sales?

Thanks!

I heart Malamutes! :-) JerseyGirl1962's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RTH View Post
    Anyone have any recent info on Christi Cardenas, of the Lazear agency? Sales?

Thanks!
    From P&E:

Christi Cardenas: $ A literary agent with The Lazear Agency.

Their Publishers Marketplace page is here.

It looks like The Lazear Agency is redoing their website, because there's just a holder here right now.

Something recent (as of March 2007) on the agent in question can be found on the Forbeck blog in this post.

~Nancy
    Screw the new blog, I've resurrected my old blog: Writerly Stuff.

I twit, therefore I am?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison

It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous. ~Robert Benchley

It seems like Lazear represents a lot of the NPR folks - Terry Gross, Noah Adams, David Branccacio, etc. - in addition to at least one fantasy team.
    "Crazy visions you got. Come with me to barber, we bleed you, you see right, everything good. I buy for you first leech."
    - The Wrong Sword

And Read The Blog!

bedazzled /bootay shaker!! xiaotien's Avatar
    equeried her with a referal from margaret weis.

35 day polite request for 50 pages.

i responded that i had just signed with an
    agent the previous week.

Silver Ph0enix (Greenwi11ow: 4/09)

Fury of the Ph0enix (Greenwi11ow: 3/11)

Diverse 3nergies anthology (Tu B00ks: 10/12)

visit my website :
    paint & prose

my brush art at etsy!

Certified bookaholic green_knight's Avatar
    Christi Cardenas is now setting out as 'The Plains Agency'
    http://publishersmarketplace.com/members/cardenas/

The Lazear agency has a holding page; the Publisher's Marketplace listing is no longer in existence.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Hmm. Julie Mayo Haddad is now a management consultant with Accenture. No sign of Blackstone or Kline moving on, but the last sale I can find for Lazear was in July '07. On the other hand, Mayo was a recent departure, so the PM page could just be down for updating. Something to keep an eye on, certainly.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW
    Has anyone queried this agency recently and gotten a response? Thanks!

Listening to my other selves Erin's Avatar
    I queried him on 1/11, no response. I just sent a 2nd query (Book 2) a couple days ago. Thought I'd try again.
    DRAGONFLY NIGHTMARE: YA Romantic Suspense - Available Now!
    VIGILANTE NIGHTS: YA Suspense - (Merit Press/F+W Media).

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Want to keep up with my latest news and releases? Subscribe to my Newsletter for FREE eBook, exclusive subscriber only content and giveaways!

Keep me updated, Erin! The notes on here made me nervous, but hopefully the agency is still being responsive. Thanks1

Not to be critical, but I am curious-- why would someone keep querying an agency that may or may not still exist? Doesn't that doubt mean you'd best try somewhere else? It suggests to me that even if it does still exist, an agency in such limbo probably isn't very good at its job.

Quote Originally Posted by 52greg View Post
    Not to be critical, but I am curious-- why would someone keep querying an agency that may or may not still exist? Doesn't that doubt mean you'd best try somewhere else? It suggests to me that even if it does still exist, an agency in such limbo probably isn't very good at its job.
    I was using Agent Query and he's still listed there, and didn't search any further the 2nd time around. Thanks for the heads up though. I'll not query him again.

Want to keep up with my latest news and releases? Subscribe to my Newsletter for FREE eBook, exclusive subscriber only content and giveaways!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    It's been a few months now, but I got a partial request from Jonathan Lazear on December 11th. He responded to my e-query within a few hours. I haven't heard back since submitting my chapters, though.

I guess it may be safe to assume he gets back only if he's interested then...

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Lazear

My experience with the agency has been nothing but frustrating. I queried him in September and got a quick response asking for the manuscript. I promptly sent it out. A few days later, I receive an e-mail from him praising the book and asking if any other agents have it in hand. Ecstatic, I tell him no, that he's the only one. He says he'll get back to me soon. Several weeks go by, and I drop him a line again. He says he had a "bit of a crisis" but is still enjoying the book and says to get back to him the first week of December. I do so, no response. I wait two weeks. No response. I hold off until after the new year....no response. I call his number. Mailbox full. I've given up on him completely. But it's good to see that other people out there are having similar frustrations. Who knows what this guy's deal is.

I received this response from The Lazear Agency today:

I'm sorry, we are no longer taking on YA literature

Both Agentquery.com and Querytracker.net have him listed as a YA agent. Not sure how to get these changed.
    Running On Empty available now.

The Right Hand Rule
    available now.
    My website

Quote Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
    I received this response from The Lazear Agency today:

I'm sorry, we are no longer taking on YA literature

Both Agentquery.com and Querytracker.net have him listed as a YA agent. Not sure how to get these changed.
    Bummer, but at least you got a response. I never did on my 2 queries.

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    Their website is still under construction, and a query I'd sent to the Wisconsin address, from information obtained from Query Tracker, was returned marked "unable to forward".
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

Professor of applied misanthropy Drachen Jager's Avatar
    I think they're dead. The last book sale recorded on AgentQuery was in 2004.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast