dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
"You say to your soldier 'Do this," and he does it; but I am obliged to say "This is the reason why you ought to do that," and then he does it."

Baron von Steuben, regarding the American troops under his command during American Revolutionary War.

Kentuk

I want to write what I want to write
Registered
Reaction score
My experience with US soldiers in the early eighties reflects that. Americans want to know the why. Other armies generally assume the worse and don't want to know why so sometimes you get superior performance from American troops. That of course depends on if they accept the 'why'.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Exactly. If our troops understand why they're doing something, and believe in it, they can do anything.

Even win wars people think are unwinnable.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
That quote is really interesting for me, personally... it's almost exactly what I tell every employer up-front about myself. I don't just do things "because." I learn fast and I'm a fantastic worker, but if I don't know why I'm doing something I don't function. ;)

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
If you know "why" when the situation changes, it puts you in a better position to adapt without checking with headquarters/superiors.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Shit happens. Best to know if there is a fresh roll of toilet paper before having to ask "Why isn't there any shit paper?"

Status
Not open for further replies.