Not open for further replies.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
In the Canadian first edition, yes.

When it was published in the US, it was cut by more than 50%, which might argue somewhat against the point you're making.

Publisher's Weekly said:
A nearly 1,500-page novel that was 12 years in the making deserves consideration, even though in this instance, its complex central story could have been told in 500 pages.

I have to agree.

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
Yes most publishers look for a first novel of 60-100K and there have also been debut novels published which were much longer than this. So what. A novel that fits publisher guidelines is going to be much more publishable. No one ever counts the myriads of first novels that were in the desired length range. Also, some of the overlength ones may have been refused simply because the publisher didn't want a writer who couldn't follow their submission guidelines.

If you're looking to get money from someone, it's a good thing to pay attention to what they ask for.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
I have to agree.

That being said, the full edition of Hunger's Brides was truly a wonder. Really, one of the finest books I've read. Though it did require a substantial investment, time-wise (thankfully, I was reviewing it, but it did pull my $/hour ratio all out of whack) and sensibility-wise. A dazzling book.

And the publisher took a bath on it.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
That being said, the full edition of Hunger's Brides was truly a wonder. Really, one of the finest books I've read. Though it did require a substantial investment, time-wise (thankfully, I was reviewing it, but it did pull my $/hour ratio all out of whack) and sensibility-wise. A dazzling book.

And the publisher took a bath on it.

But I have to wonder, if you'd read the shorter version after the longer version, if you would have preferred it or not.

And this is a moot point, really, because it COULD BE a 1,400 page work of art and that's fine and probably true, and it still doesn't necessarily stand up as a case for ignoring publisher guidelines.

If someone has a 400,000 word epic that they feel they HAVE to sell and that they've made their best...then you've gotta do what you need to do. It won't be easy, it may never sell. Who knows?

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
Perhaps if the publishers were more judicious and did not publish many as many 60,000--100,000 worders that also tank, the longer worthy novels might earn them more $$$ if they are better.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
but the key there is if they are better. Too many times, a long book is just a book that hasn't been edited mercilessly enough.

JohnDavidPaxton

Registered
Reaction score
I like Umberto Eco as much as the next guy. Well, probably slightly more, but still, to try and kick off my career by writing something as long? It seems silly to me.

Like any other job you start off conforming, on the bottom rung, and doing what you have to. Once you get clout, you wield it.

What's so odd about that? What makes artists think that, unlike every other profession, they don't have to earn their chops?

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Amen.

Personally, I think it's plenty of fun being at the bottom and scrabbling in the beanfield, just like everyone else. You get to learn, you get to play, you get to push yourself. Later, when pushing yourself equates to writing a 400,000 page book...well, if it works, if it's good.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard that the length of a first novel should be 60-100K words and that editors are less likely to look at books beyond these limits.

As a comparison I did a quick length estimates for some well known books (eg The Da Vinci Code, Captain Corelli's Mandolin). They all seemed to be 350-500 words per page and 400-600 pages long. That's 140-300K long.

Even Phillip Pullman's Northern Lights, a book primarily aimed at children, seems to be around 140K.

100K seems very low.

They are having pity on people like me. I'm pushin pushin pushin for that 60K! lol...who knows, I may be able to turn mine into one of those 100K's...who knows. WHO KNOWS?

The_Empress

And when you list the few overly long first novels that did make it, you should also list the thousands that did not.

Why should I? I'm trying to give a little bit of hope here, not get everyone depressed! :wag:

My point remains the same: It's NOT impossible to get where these authors got... Hard, sure... Very hard, even. Close to impossible... yeah, why not? But the point is, if after countless re-writes and getting rid of actual fodder and whatnot, your story remains on the long side, well, so be it... Maybe you WILL be the exception. And you don't even have to be incredibly 'brilliant' to do it. Maybe you'll catch the right agent/publisher when s/he is saying to her/himself, 'If I see another scrawny little 75,000-word manuscript, I swear..."

Elizabeth Kostova, Arthur Golden, et-al got lucky. They're not geniuses. Their books are not even, in my personal opinion, that good as a whole. They're not bad... Just not outstanding... These gusy just happened to have the right story and style for the right agent/publisher at the right time.

There's no harm in harbouring that same hope -- especially if you know you can't possibly cut your work of art any more without seriously damaging the story.

And if you are among the many people (thousands, is it?) who don't get their LUCKY break... Then maybe you can write a shorter book to get started, and then, when your agent gets you a two-book deal with a major publisher, you can bring back your magnum opus and finally wow them all.

:flag:

The_Empress

I also hazard a guess that those first time 200,000 manuscripts you've got are 9 times out of 10 padded with too much backstory, too much info dumping, too much world building, and a plot that goes around in circles. and if you cut 50,000 words or so, it would be a much better book.

Probably. Or not. But the point wasn't whether or not some published works could benefit from a good edit... The point was, well, they got published. And they were debut novels.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
And all genres aren't created equal, after all. It had a hard enough time being published, from all acounts. What if that book had been sci-fi? More trouble? I think so. What about if it had been a romance novel? I wouldn't bet on it.

And yet, and still, there's always the exceptions...I just wouldn't swear by them unless I had no other choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.