• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Draumr Publishing

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
DaveKuzminski said:
Big Beautiful Women, if I'm not mistaken.

That's what I thought. I am just wondering what kind of genre that specializes in Big Beautiful Women belongs in the literary world. Hey, I suppose it takes all types though.

I am a fantasy author, or trying to be.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
bloemmarc said:
I believe he did point out some of their specialties in BBW, and Science fiction.
By the way, I don't mean to sound ignorant, but what exactly is the BBW genre.

I was thinking more specifically. e.g. BBW romance, humor--perhaps paranormal, how would that sound. What about novella length? How about gay fiction on the gay male/Bear side?

Draumr Robert

Registered
Reaction score
veinglory said:
Are there any particular themes, length and styles you have a particular interest in. I, personally, find the number of small publsiher out there rather daunting and I love to hear a little about personal preferences--fullt understanding that it doesn't mean you aren't open to a wide range of material.

Is it wrong for me to say "books that interest us"? It's actually somewhat funny that you ask - just last night Rida and I were discussing that there have been a number of submissions that "weren't really our thing" but upon reading them we enjoyed them despite our typical preferences.

On paper, my preferences are fantasy and sci-fi, Rida prefers romance, Judy prefers suspense and mysteries, and Michael....well, he's weird. But all of us can appreciate good work when we see it, and move on from there.

So, please, feel free to submit to us, regardless of the genre. If we like it, we'll talk.

--Robert E. Allen III
Editor, Draumr Publishing
http://www.draumrpublishing.com/
[email protected]

Draumr Robert

Registered
Reaction score
bloemmarc said:
That's what I thought. I am just wondering what kind of genre that specializes in Big Beautiful Women belongs in the literary world. Hey, I suppose it takes all types though.

I am a fantasy author, or trying to be.

Well, flat out, we like to put out romance and chick-lit books featuring heroines that our readers can relate to. That basically means women who are more realistically shaped than mainstream romances generally show. BBW in itself stands for big beautiful woman, and the demand for that particular niche, and our experience in the niche, is why we offer our Dangerous Curves line.

--Robert E. Allen III
[email protected]

Draumr Robert

Registered
Reaction score
veinglory said:
I was thinking more specifically. e.g. BBW romance, humor--perhaps paranormal, how would that sound. What about novella length? How about gay fiction on the gay male/Bear side?

We've had a handful of gay and lesbian submissions, so we do accept them. The submission guidelines, on our site, are very specific about the handful of things we don't accept.

--Robert E. Allen III
[email protected]

* - Another typo. And they let me be an EDITOR? Sheesh.

Last edited:

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Draumr Robert said:
We've had a handful of gay and lesbian submissions, so we do accept them. The submission guidelines, on our site, are very specific about the handful of things we don't accept.

--Robert E. Allen III
[email protected]

* - Another typo. And they let me be an EDITOR? Sheesh.

Have your books made it into actual bookstores, and not just online ones?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Draumr Robert said:
We are distributed in the US and Canada by Ingram and Baker & Taylor.
These aren't distributors--they're wholesalers. Ideally, a small publisher should work with both.

We're available in Borders and Barnes & Noble in the US, and (I'm told) Chapters in Canada.
Available (as in the books can be ordered there) or actually stocked on the shelves?

- Victoria

Draumr Robert

Registered
Reaction score
victoriastrauss said:
These aren't distributors--they're wholesalers. Ideally, a small publisher should work with both.

Available (as in the books can be ordered there) or actually stocked on the shelves?

- Victoria

Hello Victoria.

We work with wholesalers in order to please big accounts. Small accounts can get books from us directly if they don't opt to order from the wholesalers. I handle fulfillment for those and direct customer orders personally.

I can't speak for every Borders and Barnes & Noble, but I know we are being stocked locally (since I've pestered them). I've gotten reports from one of our authors that her local Barnes & Noble stocks us as well. I'd be thrilled to learn we are in all of them, but I just don't know.

--Robert E. Allen III
[email protected]

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Draumr Robert said:
Hello Victoria.

We work with wholesalers in order to please big accounts. Small accounts can get books from us directly if they don't opt to order from the wholesalers. I handle fulfillment for those and direct customer orders personally.

I can't speak for every Borders and Barnes & Noble, but I know we are being stocked locally (since I've pestered them). I've gotten reports from one of our authors that her local Barnes & Noble stocks us as well. I'd be thrilled to learn we are in all of them, but I just don't know.

--Robert E. Allen III
[email protected]

What about the editing of books, and communication with authors? How are royalties paid? Are their advances? Do you have a copy of your contract?

Draumr Robert

Registered
Reaction score
bloemmarc said:
What about the editing of books, and communication with authors? How are royalties paid? Are their advances? Do you have a copy of your contract?

1. Yes, we edit the books we release. We want them to be the best they can, so we work with our authors to get them that way. We're not heavy-handed about it; if they weren't in good shape, we would not have accepted them in the first place.

2. Feel free to come to our forums and interact with our authors; they'd be the best source of information for that. (Of course I'm going to say we are very good at communication, but what would you expect me to say?)

3. We pay royalties twice a year.

4. Our contracts are private; but I'll try and answer specific questions you might have.

--Robert E. Allen III
[email protected]

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Draumr Robert said:
1. Yes, we edit the books we release. We want them to be the best they can, so we work with our authors to get them that way. We're not heavy-handed about it; if they weren't in good shape, we would not have accepted them in the first place.

2. Feel free to come to our forums and interact with our authors; they'd be the best source of information for that. (Of course I'm going to say we are very good at communication, but what would you expect me to say?)

3. We pay royalties twice a year.

4. Our contracts are private; but I'll try and answer specific questions you might have.

--Robert E. Allen III
[email protected]

Ok, I will do that sometime soon. Thank you.
I may have asked this already, but do you charge? Do you pay advances. What is your totay word count for submissions, and do you accept multiple submissions for let's say a trilogy, or two book series?

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
bloemmarc said:
I may have asked this already, but do you charge? Do you pay advances. What is your totay word count for submissions, and do you accept multiple submissions for let's say a trilogy, or two book series?

READ their website, where the info re word count is listed.

A trilogy or series wouldn't be a 'multiple' submission.

Draumr Robert

Registered
Reaction score
bloemmarc said:

Bloemmarc-

I think you'll find all of these questions answered by our submission guidelines, located here:

https://www.draumrpublishing.com/submissions.php

And FAQS:

https://www.draumrpublishing.com/submissionFAQs.php

--Robert E. Allen III
[email protected]

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Why are your contracts private? You don't use a standard template that's negotiable when need be and can be shared?

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Draumr Robert said:
Mr. Allen, your company is, of course, free to do as it sees fit, but when a small press tells me its contract template is private, that publisher drops to the bottom of my submission list because I can't tell whether it's worth my time to submit to it at all. I have no way of knowing whether or not the contract in general is going to be acceptable to me, and without a sense of what's in the contract, I can't even tell what questions I need to ask about it. JMO.

Draumr Robert

Registered
Reaction score
DaveKuzminski said:
Why are your contracts private? You don't use a standard template that's negotiable when need be and can be shared?

Hello, Dave.

A fine question. In our personal good legal sense, it's best that contracts be private. Most of the terms are negotiable, but that's a private matter between us an our authors. While we don't feel comfortable with posting that sort of thing on the web, I will answer specific questions about what's on it. Or, you are more than welcome to contact one of our authors (all of them are available on our forum) and ask them if they feel the contract is fair.

Out of curiosity, are the contracts with the Harper Collins and Simon & Schusters of the world public? I'd be interested in seeing if they are posted on their websites somewhere.

--Robert E. Allen III
[email protected]

Draumr Robert

Registered
Reaction score
Aconite said:
Mr. Allen, your company is, of course, free to do as it sees fit, but when a small press tells me its contract template is private, that publisher drops to the bottom of my submission list because I can't tell whether it's worth my time to submit to it at all. I have no way of knowing whether or not the contract in general is going to be acceptable to me, and without a sense of what's in the contract, I can't even tell what questions I need to ask about it. JMO.

Hello, Aconite.

I understand what you are saying, and thank you very much for your opinion. I do not think this a policy we will be changing, however. If you have prior issues with publishing contracts you have come across - things that you absolutely could not accept - I'd be interested in hearing what they are.

--Robert E. Allen III
[email protected]

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
Well, PublishAmerica's contract springs to mind...

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
It could be argued that the "big boys" don't need to display their legalese, since we know what signing with them leads to: selling lots of books.

How does your contract differ from this skeletal one?
http://sfwa.org/contracts/pb_cont.htm

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
pepperlandgirl said:
Well, PublishAmerica's contract springs to mind...
That's the kind of thing I'm thinking about--the stuff that comes out of left field, and you'd never think to ask about it because you'd never think it would be in a contract. Things like, "And furthermore, you swear to run our website for two years for no compensation and wash my dog once a month. Also, if you say anything bad about our company, we get to fine you $1,000,000,000 and flog you in public."

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
I thinking we've two definitions of private here, with Mr Allen thinking he's being asked to reveal financial data [advances, etc.]

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Sassenach said:
I thinking we've two definitions of private here, with Mr Allen thinking he's being asked to reveal financial data [advances, etc.]
No, templates were mentioned twice.