• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Draumr Publishing

HollyB

Anyone heard of Draumr Publishing?

From the website, it looks primarily to be a romance novel publisher, but will be "offering books in all genres."

www.draumrpublishing.com

A box pops up saying "Draumr is the Old Norse root for the word 'dream'... therefore Draumr Publishing has become the root of all dreams... yours and mine."

This tagline sounds like a big red flag to me (witness this discussion at Making Light nielsenhayden.com/makingl...l#005540).

James D Macdonald

Anyone heard of Draumr Publishing?

There's a thread on them <a href="http://www.writers.net/forum/read/11/32069/32069Vf" target="_new">here</a> at Writers.net.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my.

https://www.draumrpublishing.com/index.php

Rida Allen, Co-owner and Jill-of-all-Trades

Rida is a contemporary romance novel author who writes her books only with full-figured heroines. She has been writing since her youth and was first published in 2001. Her first book, "Great Love", was published by a small publishing company in Frederick, Maryland, where they utilized the print-on-demand technology to offer new authors the chance to achieve their dreams. Rida published her second book with iUniverse, wanting to explore the world of self-publishing. "The Legacy Tree" was the first book in a series of five connected books. The second in the series, "Truth and Lies", was picked up by her original publisher in Frederick, Maryland. It was about that time that Rida began exploring the possibility of opening her own print-on-demand publishing company where she could help other romance novel authors get their BBW books out into the world. Rida is the main employee at Draumr Publishing.

Be sure you're sitting down while you read their FAQ page. I'm sure they mean well, but.... :faint:

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
draumr publishing

How good is this compnany

vipersmile

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
my best advice to you in querying these companies is to follow Dave's thread

preditors and editors is a huge and important tool in isolating publishing decisions.

Eric-

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
We are currently seeking submissions for this line of books. The DC line has a minimum word count requirement of 40,000 words and there currently is no maximum. DC books must have a big beautiful woman heroine but may or may not have a big handsome man hero. Our preference at this time is to accept only submissions where the heroine does not lose weight to gain acceptance and/or a mate. Health issues may be addressed but must not be the main storyline.

*blink blink*

They're about as specific as you can possibly get. I mean, that's wedging into the niche market pretty tightly.

vipersmile

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
please see the private message I sent you.

I have tears of mercury streaming from my eyes I'm laughing so hard. My cheeks are frozen.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Actually, I think your cheeks would be less frozen than your brain, which should be just about haywire now. Right?

;) But your point is taken.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It can't be a tiny niche--I know three different presses catering to it as a significant sub-category of chick-lit.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
By 'tiny niche,' I was mostly referring to the incredibly detailed guideline for what exactly your story has to be like before they will be inclined to accept it, that's all.

I mean, it's like running a publisher that only publishes Johnny Theremin stories.

vipersmile

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
OH MY GOD!

JOHNY T!

OH IMPRESSIVE!
I JUST ADDED SOMETHING TO MY PANTS!

LMMAOFF!

:ROFL:

I'll have to do an interview on Johnny in my next article and ask him how things are going. Or better yet, right another horror novel, all centering around Johnny.

:roll: :Spam:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Having a heroine who is large and not trying to lose weight--that is the exact niche I was refering too which is catered to by at least 3 publishers. Is it really incredibly specific compared to, for example, genre romance with inter-racial couples (at least 6 publishers). In chicklit it is common enough to go by a widely accepted acronym BBW (big, beautiful woman)

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
PeeDee said:
*blink blink*

They're about as specific as you can possibly get. I mean, that's wedging into the niche market pretty tightly.

But that's just one line of theirs. THey are also seeking other fiction.

We are currently seeking submissions for Draumr Publishing fiction genres such as science fiction, fantasy, horror, mystery, adventure, suspense/thriller, non-bbw romances (including all the subgenres listed above), and gay/lesbian stories. DP has a minimum word count requirement of 50,000 words and there is currently no maximum. Please send query letters along with your first three chapters and story synopsis to [email protected]. We accept documents in both MS Word and WordPerfect formats - do not send in PDF or TXT formats. Please attach each portion of your submission as a separate document (query letter, first three chapters, synopsis). Do not send full manuscripts. At this time, we cannot accept queries for unfinished manuscripts.
Lots of publishers target certain niches with specific lines. It's hardly uncommon to have specific guidelines.

THough I did find something that caused a yellow flag or two

Rida is a contemporary romance novel author who writes her books only with full-figured heroines. She has been writing since her youth and was first published in 2001. Her first book, "Great Love", was published by a small publishing company in Frederick, Maryland, where they utilized the print-on-demand technology to offer new authors the chance to achieve their dreams. Rida published her second book with iUniverse, wanting to explore the world of self-publishing. "The Legacy Tree" was the first book in a series of five connected books. The second in the series, "Truth and Lies", was picked up by her original publisher in Frederick, Maryland. It was about that time that Rida began exploring the possibility of opening her own print-on-demand publishing company where she could help other romance novel authors get their BBW books out into the world. Rida is the main employee at Draumr Publishing. She receives and reads all submissions, makes recommendations for contract offers (fyi, she accepts all forms of M&Ms), consults on all cover art, is the main editor, is the main desktop publisher, website designer and otherwise Jill-of-all-trades. If you aren’t sure who handles something, then it is probably Rida. Rida comes from a close-knit family. Her husband, Robert, is also a writer although by day, he pretends to be a computer geek.

I know that there are a lot of former PA authors who are A)talented B)smart and C)successful, but I would be wary of going with a publisher that's started by somebody who published with PA not once, but twice, if only because she might have a skewed idea of what the publishing world is actually like. Judging from her explanation of why she went with PA twice, as well as her foray into "self-publishing," I have to wonder if she even knows that PA has many, many problems. What if since PA was such a great publisher for new authors she decided to model herself after them? Of course, she could have avoided stating their name because she knows they're a scam and she's just trying to be diplomatic.

Last edited:

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know who else she could be referring to.

1) Frederick Maryland? Check
2) Print on Demand technology? Check
3) offer new authors the chance to achieve their dreams. (I think that might be verbatim from their website).

I hope it's PA and there's not another POD outfit in Frederick giving authors the chance to achieve their dreams!

Andrew Jameson

(not his real name)
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it's PA. Not that I think that's necessarily bad--she's clearly not boosting PA at the present time, and I have a lot of sympathy for authors that have essentially lost their books to PA, but still might want readers to read them.

Here's a link to a bio of and interview with Rida, as well as some reviews of her books (Her home page). In another interview, she talks about POD; I infer that's how her publishing company prints their books (but that's only an inference).

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I wasn't really criticisings them for being a very-specific-niche publisher, honest. It just surprised me. Thas'bout'it.

I totally missed the PA reference. Ouch.

Draumr Robert

Registered
Reaction score
bloemmarc said:
Helo there. Mr. Allen.

Tell us about yourselves, and your company

Hello.

I'm all for short and sweet. (those of you so inclined can read the more detailed accounts on our website) Draumr Publishing has been an entity for a bit over a year now. It is owned and operated by four people - Rida and I are writers, the other two are not.

During our launch year, we've released 8 books. As some of you noticed, the majority of our releases are BBW related - a genre that Draumr Publishing strongly supports. But they aren't the only genre we are publishing - Red Flash, Moon Child are both not in the BBW genre.

We do use print-on-demand digital printing, which seems to be a four-letter word to a lot of people. It has enabled us, a small printer, to compete in the marketplace without incurring the costs for huge print runs, and likewise enabled us to take risks on books. If we didn't use print-on-demand digital printing, I suspect we would not have been able to release but two of the books we've put out so far. And that, in my opinion, would have been a real shame, as they are all good books.

We accept - and recieve - submissions for all sorts of stuff. We've already accepted books number nine and ten and they will be coming out in the next few months. I'm primarily the fantasy and science fiction editor, but based on our workload I get all sorts of genres to read. (a fun part of the job, really)

A bit about me personally: I've mostly written for the adventure gaming industry, for Reaper Miniatures, SHADIS Magazine, InQuest Magazine, and a few defunct companies. You can find some of the columns I did for RPGNet on the web if you google for me.

What other questions might you have? I'm always happy to talk about us.

--Robert E. Allen III
Editor, Draumr Publishing
http://www.draumrpublishing.com/
[email protected]

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Are there any particular themes, length and styles you have a particular interest in. I, personally, find the number of small publsiher out there rather daunting and I love to hear a little about personal preferences--fullt understanding that it doesn't mean you aren't open to a wide range of material.

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
veinglory said:
Are there any particular themes, length and styles you have a particular interest in. I, personally, find the number of small publsiher out there rather daunting and I love to hear a little about personal preferences--fullt understanding that it doesn't mean you aren't open to a wide range of material.

I believe he did point out some of their specialties in BBW, and Science fiction.
By the way, I don't mean to sound ignorant, but what exactly is the BBW genre.

Last edited: