Spam Attack

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted flash fiction (first time I've done it) to 4 different places, and I'm suddenly getting a lot of spam. Does anyone know if the mags sell your e-address? I also signed up for Paypal; it could be from that, but I'm wondering if this is common. Thanks.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I subscribe to a lot of ezines and submit to them too and I don't get a ton of spam. I've got a pretty aggressive spam filter.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I've got paypal, I don't get anything emails from paypal, though I've got my share of emails from scammers who want me to think they're paypal. Just to show that the scammers are doing shotgun and don't know, I also got the scammer emails for years before I actually signed up for paypal.

The way to find this out is to generate a new email address for each place you submit to, and use that address solely for submitting to that place. If any of those addresses gets spam, you can be pretty sure how it happened.

I've got a couple gmail accounts, it's easy enough to send yourself invites to make new addresses with. I'll send you a gmail 'invite' in exchange for a positive rep point.;) Now that I think about it, it's been months since I've checked either one...

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. Spam. Newsletters. And nice promotional emails--as in go buy my book. It's a hazard of the trade I'm guessing. Though the magazine I submitted to this week swears they will do none of the above, so I think privacy issues must be common?

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. Spam. Newsletters. And nice promotional emails--as in go buy my book. It's a hazard of the trade I'm guessing. Though the magazine I submitted to this week swears they will do none of the above, so I think privacy issues must be common?

Yes indeed, a HUGE number of sites were you can send email or give them your email address say "We won't sell or give away your address" and I'm sure many of them are even telling the truth. But then I see news stories all the time of a 'trusted employee' of a good company who sells the company's customer list WITH email addresses, so you can never be sure.

Spam has been over half of email traffic for a few years now. Spammers don't care where the email addresses they get come from.

This webpage on the growing problem of spam was written over ten years ago (that's MILLENNIA in net.time!), and regrettably it's just as pertinent today:

http://spam.abuse.net/overview/

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. Um, Ben, at the risk of sounding incredibly out-dated, I *blush* don't really understand what you said. *scuffles feet* As in: "new e-mail account", "gmail" and "invite". How do I set up a new address without having to pay for another account?

I feel so OLD-FASHIONED! :tongue