• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Elizabeth Kaplan Literary Agency

MGray

Registered
Reaction score
Hey afarnam. I'm in the same boat as you. Melissa requested a full two days ago and everything about her looks great, though I also saw she wasn't a member of AAR. She's had five or six sales but most are nonfiction. What do you write? I wish we could know her typical response time.

MGray

Registered
Reaction score
sbgloss, I missed your post. Congrats on the request. What do you write?

Noemie

Registered
Reaction score
She's young -- 30? Might be strong in YA.

But about nuanced adult fiction she's clueless.

sbgloss

Registered
Reaction score
To report back, Melissa Sarver had asked for my full MS (commercial women's fiction). She ultimately passed on it, but read it quickly and gave constructive feedback. She came across as very professional.

afarnam

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ariefarnam.com
Follow-up

Hi all, I just got an offer from Melissa Sarver on non-fiction. Haven't seen the agreement yet, but barring some outrageous agreement, I'm in. It took a lot of back and forth and sending a revised manuscript. I think she's worth the extra work. She was pleasant and communicates like a real human. :) -A.F.

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Ms. Sarver 11/3
Full request received 11/15

YA science fiction

Also, I just have to say, I interviewed Ms. Sarver on my blog a few months back, and most of the comments on that post have been from clients saying how wonderful she is. So far, all of my interactions with her have been very positive, too (and I wasn't even counting the full request:) ).

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
Queried Ms. Sarver yesterday, so I know I'm in for a bit of a wait. But keeping my fingers crossed; she's one of my top choices.

Congrats on yet another request, Krista!! :D

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, ether. *blushes* Do you go by ethers over on QueryTracker?

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Well, then, ether, you've been getting quite a few requests yourself :) Best of luck with those. I'll have to drop by your blog every so often to hear how it's going.

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
Well, then, ether, you've been getting quite a few requests yourself :) Best of luck with those. I'll have to drop by your blog every so often to hear how it's going.

Not too many, haha. I had several for my last MS, but never quite got that 'yes.' ;) I just started querying my new MS a few days ago, so we'll see how it goes!

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Full sent to Ms. Sarver 11/15
Personalized rejection received 12/3

YA science fiction

Onward ho!

bunderful

Registered
Reaction score
Queried Elizabeth Kaplan on Feb. 2, 2011, received full manuscript request today Feb. 22 from Melissa Sarver...

We shall see...

delliot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thatnormalvegan.com
Is it best to query melissa at her direct email address or the general submissions address? Does she appreciate when an author queries with details on why she is the right agent? or should i just stick with my query and assume she'll know that she's right for it or not?

bunderful

Registered
Reaction score
I never got around to posting this but I received a very lovely rejection from Melissa Sarver on March 3. Very detailed feedback. She seems like she would be an amazing person to work with.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I see this thread hasn't had much action.
I queried and got a full requested from Melissa within minutes yesturday (November 22, 2011)

I'd say this goes to show that even though Thanksgiving (for some of you) is around the corner agents are still working hard!

Laura Droege

Registered
Reaction score
I see this thread hasn't had much action.
I queried and got a full requested from Melissa within minutes yesturday (November 22, 2011)

I'd say this goes to show that even though Thanksgiving (for some of you) is around the corner agents are still working hard!

Wow, congratulations on getting a full request! Let us know how things turn out.

bunderful

Registered
Reaction score
I have an announcement to make...I signed with Melissa Sarver yesterday!!

As you can see from posts above, (queried Feb. 2, full request on Feb. 22, Rejection on March 3) Melissa requested my full back in February, read it, and rejected it with detailed feedback.

Months later, when I decided to do a major revision, I took a lot of what she said into consideration. I sent her an email asking if she'd like to see a revision, and she said yes. This was at the beginning of November.

When I received an offer of representation from another agent, I let Melissa know. She read my novel again and she decided to offer representation too!

Melissa was one of my first choices and one of the first agents I ever queried. I am very very happy. Flying high.

I guess it goes to show that (within reason) sometimes a "no" isn't always no, and when you get a good feeling about someone and about the feedback they offer, sometimes it works out...

:)

Last edited:

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Congrats bunderful!

I'm still waiting to hear from my full... I can never decide if the longer wait is better or worse lol Full request, as mentioned above on November 22.

So, sadly, It's only been a tiny bit over a month.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
From Publishers Lunch:

Melissa Sarver has joined Folio Literary Management as the co-director of international rights and will continue to represent authors in the areas of Young Adult, select literary and upmarket adult fiction, narrative non-fiction, business books and cookbooks. She was previously at The Elizabeth Kaplan Literary Agency

Wizera

MG/YA Author and Playwright
Registered
Reaction score
Reviving this thread a little. I queried Elizabeth Kaplan on 9/12/14. Heard back today (10/24/14) from someone named "Arielle" asking for a full.

Anyone know anything?