• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Elizabeth Kaplan Literary Agency

westcoast

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was just wondering if anybody knows anything about the Elizabeth Kaplan Literary Agency. I got her name out of Three Cups of Tea, which she agented -- but her website is nascent (to say the least) and I can't really find anything else.

Anybody have any experiences/leads/rumours?

Thanks so much,
westcoast
(who is very grateful for this board...)

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
All I found was her business card of a website and a few mentions here and there. Any agent that is trying that hard not to be noticed probably isn't worth the time to pursue. I'd go on to the next name unless she agented something really close to what you have. Then I would email her nicely to see if she is accepting submissions.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
It should be noted that the "few mentions" are clients' pages, sales announcements, and interviews with industry professionals. Here's her AgentQuery page.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
She reps E. Lockhart, people. E. Lockhart.

Besides that, does anyone know what other YA authors she represents?

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I don't know what YA authors she represents, but she represents non-fiction writer Michael Ruhlman. :insert fangirl scream here: Hello, major writer right there!

ETA: Here's a list of Michael's books. If I recall correctly, Elizabeth was able to get Michael a six-figure advance for at least one of them via auction.
http://www.ruhlman.com/books/index.html

Last edited:

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Found out that she represents Maryrose Wood, Marrissa Walsh, and Thatcher Heldring on the YA front.

J. R. Tomlin

Banned
Reaction score
All I found was her business card of a website and a few mentions here and there. Any agent that is trying that hard not to be noticed probably isn't worth the time to pursue. I'd go on to the next name unless she agented something really close to what you have. Then I would email her nicely to see if she is accepting submissions.
Actually some of the best agents make sure they are hard to find. Odd, but true.

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know what she prefers to be queried by? E-mail or reg. mail? She gives both on her website and on agentquery, but it doesn't say which she would rather have.

And, does she do urban fantasy? I haven't seen anything saying no, but I looked at her sales and I don't see any fantasy books among them, so I'm thinking she doesn't.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
They take e-mail queries, but I'm not really sure which they prefer.

JAG4584

Registered
Reaction score
e-mail yes

Does anyone know what she prefers to be queried by? E-mail or reg. mail? She gives both on her website and on agentquery, but it doesn't say which she would rather have.

I sent her an e query this month had a response in a few days etc. Not sure what she rep's. Good luck worth a try!

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, I just sent the query out. Here's to hoping!

JAG4584

Registered
Reaction score
You will do great! I thought for sure I would have no response at all during this time of year but I was wrong. I bet you will have a offer.. you watch!!

LordDelusions

folly is such fun
Registered
Reaction score
hmm, Im writing a YA at the moment, might submit to them...
they're site is just listing contact info, where's the rest of the site?

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think there is a rest of the site. I'm under the impression that Elizabeth Kaplan herself is not actively looking for clients, and in that case, I could see why a website isn't a big priority for their agency. I am sure they already get enough slush without an in-depth site detailing their submission guidelines.

Last edited:

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have recent experience with her or know anything about response times? Thanks

Ann

Registered
Reaction score
I sent an email query today but it was returned via mail administrator. The address is closed.

Jefflrich

Registered
Reaction score
I emailed her today, as well. But it didn't get returned. Got the email off of agentquery.com. I like the fact that she's mysterious! LOL. I'll let you all know what happens.

Jeff

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys I see she takes YA, but does she take urban fantasy too? Someone else upthread asked but I don't see the answer anywhere and the website doesn't tell me much.

thmafi

wobbly...
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys I see she takes YA, but does she take urban fantasy too? Someone else upthread asked but I don't see the answer anywhere and the website doesn't tell me much.

hey roly -- i sent her a query awhile back for my YA urban fantasy and she requested a full. so... i think that's a yes, she does take urban fantasy.

djaffe

Me love books much
Registered
Reaction score
hey all

Anyone know anything about Melissa Sarver? I sent a query to Ms. Kaplan back on the 12th of Jan and got a request for 50 pages from Ms. Sarver today.

thanks!
d

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hey all

Anyone know anything about Melissa Sarver? I sent a query to Ms. Kaplan back on the 12th of Jan and got a request for 50 pages from Ms. Sarver today.

thanks!
d
She looks like a fine catch! Good luck.

And by the way, it's called Google. Oh wait, maybe you don't have that in Hong Kong.

djaffe

Me love books much
Registered
Reaction score
hey Devil Ledbetter

Thanks but I already Googled her. I was wondering if anyone had useful information on who she represents... recent sales... or personal experience working with her.

sbgloss

Registered
Reaction score
I just got a full request from Ms. Sarver. I will report back if I find out any other helpful information.

afarnam

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ariefarnam.com
Melissa Sarver of Elizabeth Kaplan L. A.

Hi, anyone have any experience with Melissa Sarver or the Elizabeth Kaplan Literary Agency? I may be asked to make a decision on them in the near future. Basic research looks good but she isn't an AAR member. I'm not sure if that is a big issue or not. Thanks.
-Arianna