The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browne & Miller Literary Associates

practical experience, FTW

Browne & Miller Literary Associates

Does anyone know anything about them? I found them on AgentQuery.

Sockpuppet
    http://www.browneandmiller.com/

Seems okay to me. I'd ask them for a client list, they are a little short on those details.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Has anyone had any personal experience with this place? Thanks.

They rep William Kent Krueger and a good friend of his told me he adores his agent.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin YAKara75's Avatar
    Received a request for an exclusive full on April 17th. Granted them the exclusive for four weeks, and I'm now in the process of waiting for a reply. HO-HUM.... Anyone have any personal experience waiting for a reply? The exclusive runs out on May 17th, and I already have another agent waiting to read. I don't plan on extending the exclusive past the 17th...
    K in GA

Quote Originally Posted by YAKara75 View Post
    Received a request for an exclusive full on April 17th. Granted them the exclusive for four weeks, and I'm now in the process of waiting for a reply. HO-HUM.... Anyone have any personal experience waiting for a reply? The exclusive runs out on May 17th, and I already have another agent waiting to read. I don't plan on extending the exclusive past the 17th...

What happened with them? Their website seems to be down. I hope you got good news?

Paranormal Princess ChrryBlssmGrrl's Avatar
    Website seems to be back up again so I e-queried them today. Anyone out there got any recent experience of response times? Or signed with them recently?

Anyone out there still tracking, i'll keep you posted on if/when I get a response to my query...

PS) If anyone is interested, Joanna McKenzie, one of the agents at Browne & Miller (i think she's mostly interested in YA) has a blog over here: http://theateamblog.wordpress.com/

Current Status: Had a baby in August and trying to finish a PhD. Not getting too much writing done at the minute...but I'm trying

Nasty Woman AW Moderator regdog's Avatar
    Emailed 7/22 R on 8/31
    My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing

requiescat in pace Requiescat In Pace
    Has anyone queried this agency recently? I am thinking of querying Joanna MacKenzie. I thought I'd check with you guys first.

Thanks,

ILS
    It is with the deepest sadness that I must tell all of you that my wife, Irene Schaft, passed away on Monday, 9 August 2010 from a massive stroke.

In lieu of flowers, please consider making a contribution to Parker Paws, http://www.parkerpaws.org/donate.html a local animal shelter.

Irene's system will only be up infrequently for the next few weeks, and her mail will not be checked regularly. Any messages of condolence can be sent to her husband George at schaft@schaft.com

Irene's blog: [URL]http://sybilsimon.com/[/URL]

On their website, it states that they will charge you for the copies of your manuscript that they send to editors with the pitch letter. Is that standard practice?

Thought I'd stop by
    I haven't started the agent search but my best writing friend has an agent at a small but legit agency in NYC. She says they make the same claim, still haven't sold her book, have sent out dozens of copies and never charged her. Maybe if she sells?

Thanks for the reply. I just figured out how to check for replies to my posts, which is the reason for the delayed response. Maybe I'll send them a query after all.

My horn can pierce the sky!
    I queried Joanna on 9/13 and got a partial request on 9/27. I sent it, and was told they'd have an answer for me in 2-4 weeks.

I find ur lack of faith disturbing mellymel's Avatar
    I'm not sure, but if you find me, for the love of God, please let me know!
    wondering if there's any further info or updates on this agency. so far on this thread all i see are requests, but no follow ups from there or even rejections. i have them on my list of agents to query and would like to know what the deal is with this agency.

thanks
    "The good thing about telling the truth is that there's nothing to remember."--John Ford Noonan (playwright)
    "Falling on your face is still moving forward."--Ron Maranian (comedian)

Find me on Twitter!: melksan

The comments for Joanna MacKenzie on QueryTracker show that she's still actively rejecting queries. Her stats there also list six requests for more material, all of which resulted in rejections.

Granted, that's only for people who are reporting on QueryTracker, and it's quite possible that the people here were rejected but didn't feel like posting it.

Publisher's Marketplace lists two sales from the middle of last year as well as the sale of a ton of international rights. The last sale of any kind posted was in September.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin robinwrite2010's Avatar
    I also queried them back in November-never heard back. But, my original query lacked essence. So...I tossed the old out and wrote a new one of which i will be re-querying them as well as others i never heard back from.

Wish me Luck

Equeried Joanna MacKenzie on 8th March. Received partial request (100 pages) on 24th March.

fixing a limp query... KosseMix's Avatar
    Joanna is a graduate of the University of Chicago, the school that I graduated from. In my third year, the school held a sort of "industry workshop" for all sorts of industries and I attended the publishing one. She was there and gave a talk about how to become an agent, what agents do, etc. She is very professional and knows what she's talking about, according to the information I've gathered from this forum about agenting and publishing. She's also very nice, so if you end up signing with her, you'll like her

"I have great faith in fools. My friends call it self confidence."
    - Edgar Allen Poe

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin UntouchableGreen's Avatar
    Queried on 11/3 and got a full request on 11/4. They sold a YA to Tor Teen recently which I'm excited about since Tor Teen is one of my top pick Publishers.
    -YA Steampunk

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin FUwriting's Avatar
    Submitted to Joanna MacKenzie last week. Just received a full request -- she's my dream agent!

Quote Originally Posted by FUwriting View Post
    Submitted to Joanna MacKenzie last week. Just received a full request -- she's my dream agent!
    Hello! How did it go? Was it a yay or nay?

practical experience, FTW FCameron's Avatar
    After reading their website, I was impressed and sent a query for my women's fiction.

West of somewhere and a click south of nowhere
    Joanna and Danielle became my agents late this summer. I couldn't be happier!! They are fantastic ladies!!

The Ladies Who Lunch ~ Includes TWO Maggie finalists!
    The Seeker
    5 stars ~ "James provides a brilliantly conceived post apocalyptic world." ~ Beth, The Tome Tender
    My website!

practical experience, FTW FCameron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shameless View Post
    Joanna and Danielle became my agents late this summer. I couldn't be happier!! They are fantastic ladies!!
    Wonderful! Congratulations! May I ask how the process went...how long did you wait for query response, full, etc.?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast