Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cravings...

^ Just Me & a Sharpie ZannaPerry's Avatar

Cravings...

I hate cravings................does anyone know how to substain them???
    ...::Zanna Perry::...
    Untitled short
    Blake/Sasha (in the works)

I'm super! Thanks for asking Siddow's Avatar
    Depends on what you're craving.
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.--
    Reggie Leach

A picture is worth a thousand words, but it uses up three thousand times the memory.

Well, to sustain a craving it's best to eat whatever it is you're craving.

If you want to suspend that craving, what I do is think of what I'm craving, then convince my mouth that it tastes like something I don't want to eat

Easy. Give in to them.
    jennifer

Haha! But I don't want to give into them because it only makes me fat...seriously, I need to add in some exercise into my daily schedule. Or I am in some trouble.
    Untitled short

Honestly, when I found out I couldn't eat chocolate anymore, and still craved it, the only thing that got me through was to think about chocolate and associate it in my mind and taste buds with something I really didn't like.

I imagined chocolate tasted like Broccoli.

It really did help.

Go brush your teeth. No, seriously. It helps.

practical experience, FTW JLCwrites's Avatar
    Don't buy them anymore. If you cant reach them... then you cant eat them!
    Blog Suburbageek You can also find Suburbageek on Facebook

Tweeting

Short Stories Published

"Teleporter" in What If: Collection of Science Fiction Short Stories by ReadMe Publishing

"Unlocked" in No Rest for the Wicked by Rainstorm Press

Walkin' That Road brokenfingers's Avatar
    Drink a lot of water.

If that doesn't help, then pound your head forcefully into a wall or a desk. Seriously. You'll forget all about whatever food you were craving.

Spending one short day in the Emerald City
    I'm so in the same situation >__<

What I do is, remind myself how much better off I am without them. How the little things can kill me if I give in. Basically, I make myself feel all good and righteous by resisting temptation. Hey, if it works for religious zealots...
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaeal View Post
    I'd say the main lesson to take from Stephen King's working life is: He's never stopped working. He's written sober. He's written drunk. He's written while recovering from horrendous injuries. He's written while working maggotty laundry jobs. He's written on long after he could have snuggled down into his royalties for the rest of his life.

Damn good lesson, that.

I'm super! Thanks for asking Siddow's Avatar
    Find the least offensive options for your cravings. My cravings come with a purpose: salty, crunchy, creamy and sweet.

Celery, carrots, yogurt, individual chocolate squares (Ghiradelli makes some pretty good 60% cocoa squares), a few pretzels or peanuts or almonds--all healthy snacks when taken in nibbles.
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.--
    Reggie Leach

A picture is worth a thousand words, but it uses up three thousand times the memory.

I agree in that it depends on what you are craving. For me, usually nothing helps besides a small portion of the real deal. If I try to substitute something else, I won't be satisfied. If that happens, I sometimes end up gorging on way more than I would if I had just let myself have a little to begin with. There's a girl in my office who is that way with chocolate. She will almost tackle you if you have chocolate. Then the next day she says, " Keep that stuff away from me. I have to quit eating chocolate." Then the next day she is ravenous for it again.

Contrary to popular belief, I think the line between being direct and being rude is not thin, and most people are fully aware of when they have crossed it.

Come see some familiar faces at:

Bloggity Bloggity Blog

Blog, Part II

Banned
    Can't say I've ever had cravings. I just eat what the hell I like - every food is fair game!

In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the chessboard
    I'm with SP on food cravings. I eat everything. I diet sometimes if I start getting out of shape a little, but basically everything is fair game. I spent my childhood on a ridiculous diet. I'm going to enjoy adulthood, damn it.

As for other cravings, I have to watch my "plot twist" cravings when it comes to my writing. If I gave in to every "wonderful idea I must incorporate immediately" craving I had... my novels would by 90k of Luke and Azrael making out + on a wrought iron bed. Uh, wait. *flips through manuscript* Nope, hasn't slipped in yet. Phew.
    ~E.A. Blackwell
    Praesis ut Prosis

"The dreadful thing is that beauty is not only terrifying but also mysterious. God and the Devil are fighting there, and their battlefield is the heart of man. But a man's heart wants to speak only of its own ache. Listen, now I'll tell you what it says..." ~Dostoevsky The Brothers Karamazov

Fantasy:

Elysian Flames- 88,000 words <Was hat dich bloß so ruiniert?>

Queries Out: 0

Your book is teh suck, try digging ditches to bury it in plz kthxbai: 6

www.granitewindstarr.com
    (under some serious construction)

I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing myself.
    Trust me. Eat what you are craving. You will crave it till you have it & just eat a bunch of crap trying to get your mind off it.

Experience talking.

My craving are tortia chips. I know it's not the worse kind of craving, but I could literally eat an entire bag in one sitting. I like salty snacks....but I am seriously not a big eater. I have one big meal a day. I don't snack, I don't do anything that would say I'm an obsessive eater.

I think it's all in my head. . . . .

And I do brush my teeth rather early in the evening so I won't be tempted to eat anything.
    Untitled short

practical experience, FTW JLCwrites's Avatar
    YUM! Add some cheddar, refried beans, guacamole, salsa, and sour cream, and then dig in!
    Ok.. getting hungry. When is hubby coming home?
    Blog Suburbageek You can also find Suburbageek on Facebook

Tweeting

Short Stories Published

"Teleporter" in What If: Collection of Science Fiction Short Stories by ReadMe Publishing

"Unlocked" in No Rest for the Wicked by Rainstorm Press

Ha......and those are all my weaknesses!...including men!
    Untitled short

Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
    Reading all the posts on this thread is making me hungry.

Here's a thought (before I go raid the kitchen): when you really crave that certain food, get a small portion of it, have a paper napkin in your other hand, eat a bite of the food, chew it, savor it, then spit it out. Into the napkin, of course.

Seriously, I've done that and it works. Abstaining from the food you crave only makes it worse.

practical experience, FTW Fenika's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stormie View Post
    eat a bite of the food, chew it, savor it, then spit it out. Into the napkin, of course.
    I wish that worked with food allergies! Talk about cravings

For me, I sub other foods. Luckily dieting is optional (but I'm due for one. How fun, food allergies and a diet. I won't be able to eat anything but cabbage! :-p )

Cheers,
    Christina

Visit my blog: A walk-through guide to Eastern European castles.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

A flowering bud of bitchiness TrainofThought's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzyB View Post
    I hate cravings................does anyone know how to substain them???
    Sometimes people think they are hungry when they are actually thirsty. Sit straight in your chair, do lower abdominal crunches then drink a glass of water and wait five minutes. You will either feel satisfied or still want whatever you crave. If you still have the craving, which also sometimes means your body needs it (sugar, protein), then have it.

I am craving a bowl of Capn Crunch cereal.

But shhh, don't tell my personal trainer.
    I mostly hang out in Office Party. Mostly.

It Bloggles the Mind

But you see...I don't like the portions. I don't like napkins and stuffing all my food on it. I don't like all the rules of eating. I just eat what I want, when I want and I'm happy. I think I just need to exercise. . . and I'll be fine. My nutrionist (?) told me all I had to do was lose a little bit of weight because I'm consider fat for my height. Can you believe that??????????
    Untitled short

Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzyB View Post
    Haha! But I don't want to give into them because it only makes me fat...seriously, I need to add in some exercise into my daily schedule. Or I am in some trouble.
    Medically bad trouble? Or trouble with your nutritionist who says you're overweight for your height? If it's a medical problem, like diabetes, you have to listen to your nutritionist. Otherwise, why can't you cave in to your cravings now and then? If it's not a seriously overweight problem and/or medical problem, do you need a nutritionist? (Don't mind me--I'm the type who eats dessert first if I'm at a buffet. My weight and health are okay, but I'd be a nutritionist's nightmare.)

And yeah, Christina, even just tasting the food is bad for those with certain allergies. You have my sympathy!

Your Cuddly Sociopathic AW Moderator Jaycinth's Avatar
    My auntie (a nutritionist) tried to explain to me that food craving occur when your body needs a nutrient that you are not getting..so it makes you cram everything into your mouth until it gets enough of that nutrient.

Chocolate = magnesium
    Chips = fats
    (and there were some others)
    She told me and my mom to make sure we got extra vitamin supplements when dieting and extra magnesium before periods.

I believe she was correct. When I am on a low fat diet..I cannot STAY on that diet unless I'm popping a couple of Omega 3's daily along with multi vitamins. And about a week before 'that time' I start upping magnesium rich foods..and then I stick to dark-semi sweetened chocolate...which there is now plenty of since Muse stopped eating it .

You should head over to 'Healty Diet &..." and PM Cassie who has just become a certified nutritionist and has always been a real uplift and a help.
    By JAYCINTH: I have my OWN PAGE at Aquarius Custom Jewelry. Please, come and see and like me on Facebook.
    I'm editing the 'Sensible Man' I STILL love these unpaid gigs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast