• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

D4EO Literary Agency (formerly D4EO Literary Partners) (Robert Diforio)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Jessie was Pam's assistant, and there are reports of him accepting authors who had originally queried Pam when he became an agent. Not sure why he's not on D4EO's website yet, but Manuscript Wishlist has his submission guidelines, and his twitter says he opened to queries in May. He wants a query, synopsis, and 10 pages.

His profile says "he/him/Mx. Devine." I suggest using the latter in queries (if you go the Mr./Ms. route, as I do).

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Jessie got back to me after 2 days with a personalized (responding to my personalization) rejection.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
I believe Jesse is gender fluid, if that's the right term? Pronouns in that case are usually neutral "they" "them" etc but maybe Jesse prefers male pronouns (or that's just the easier route, since a lot of people don't get the nuetral pronoun thing) Jesse was a Pitch Wars mentor before becoming an agent, though I never worked directly with them, we were in the PW mentor group together for a while so I have a little experience.

So yeah, I definitely would follow the "Mx. Devine" suggestion in a query, assuming you address your queries that way.

Last edited:

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like Weronika Janczuk has left D4EO for Janklow & Nesbit after her medical leave this summer. Her personal website has the news, along with a new query process. https://lightningbugspub.com

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Katelyn last October based on her MSWL. Form rejection 11 days later.

Have not queried Weronika. She is active on Twitter.

Corvid

~
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know what in the world is going on with Weronika? After that weird "in the hospital" fiasco, her Twitter has barely had any updates: except for this announcement about a "major book deal" which somehow has no records anywhere. She's no longer listed on the D4EO site, and her own site claims she's working at Janklow and Nesbit now. But there's no mention of her on their site either. Getting some real odd vibes from her stuff lately.

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know what in the world is going on with Weronika? After that weird "in the hospital" fiasco, her Twitter has barely had any updates: except for this announcement about a "major book deal" which somehow has no records anywhere. She's no longer listed on the D4EO site, and her own site claims she's working at Janklow and Nesbit now. But there's no mention of her on their site either. Getting some real odd vibes from her stuff lately.

QT now lists her as her own agency, The Janczuk Literary Agency. I have a query out with her from Aug. 7, which I got a standard auto reply for, and now I'm wondering if I should requery, or should I definitely NOT requery, even if she never saw the first. :(

Corvid

~
Registered
Reaction score
QT now lists her as her own agency, The Janczuk Literary Agency. I have a query out with her from Aug. 7, which I got a standard auto reply for, and now I'm wondering if I should requery, or should I definitely NOT requery, even if she never saw the first. :(
I'm leaning towards "don't requery because this agent has been a mess lately". :p She keeps making these weird announcements (book deal, working at Janklow and Nesbit, etc) . . . and then taking them back like it never happened? Then she made a blog post recently about huge black spots in her memory, lol. I'm in the same boat but I've decided to sit this one out.

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
Know nothing about this personally but noticed that 3 Authors made statements on twitter (all in the same wk, sept 14-18) that they have left Weronika AND D4EO. The fact they all posted within days of each other seems concerning.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Greetings --

I just heard back from Bob Diforio, who asked for the first three chapters of my novel a little while ago. He is the first agent who has read chapters and gotten back to me. I have two questions -- the first: How should I interpret his e-mail rejection? That is, he wrote:

Dear Nadine -

Thanks for the look. I have to pass, as I am simply
swamped with work at present. As is attested by the fact
that it took me two weeks to get back to you.

I wish you every success with another agent.

Best,

Bob

Should I take solace in the fact he didn't pan my novel, tell me to take up knitting instead of writing? Or is he such a nice guy -- which seems very possible -- that this is actually what his message means?

Second question: I've had a good feeling about Bob Diforio from the beginning -- maybe it's just something about guys named "Bob"? No, really -- my second question is: Is it proper/appropriate to ask him if he would consider my book again sometime in the future? That is, if no one else wants to represent me by a certain date he suggests is more convenient for him?

Any/all advice gratefully accepted!

The letter is a standard form rejection letter, as uninformative as can be. As a former agent myself, I learned how counterproductive it is to give writing advice to writers whose work you don't intend to take on. It invariably results in an unwelcome back-and-forth conversation and requests to reconsider the book after the author has pasted a few band-aids over whatever faults the agent cited. By which you can surmise my answer to your second question: No, you should not ask to resubmit. If he'd wanted that, he'd have given you specific notes and requested to see the revised version.

The world is full of agents; go on to the next, and good luck to you!

Morning Rainbow

Destroyer of Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.almunson.com
Barbara, the post you replied to is from 2005. Current discussion of this agency is about its stability since authors are leaving them seemingly due to Weronika Janczuk.

I was considering querying Katelyn Uplinger when she opens to submissions, but now I'm not sure. Has anyone had (or heard of) issues with this agency beyond those with Weronika?

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
I can't speak to the entire agency, but I had a very good experience with Ms. Uplinger when I queried her on my YA suspense several months ago. She requested a full after about a week and, while she ultimately rejected the manuscript, she did so promptly (around three weeks after the submission, with very helpful comments). Query with confidence! :)

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Re: Katelyn Uplinger, she had a fast turnaround (R, 11 days) on my query. I was actually surprised she sent me a form rejection so very quickly since her MSWL tweets at the time sounded like such a good fit. I forget the details--it's been almost a year.

I've grown a bit leery (and weary) of the MSWL tweets, and trying to find 'fits' in general, in part because of experiences like that. The tweets start to feel like little squirrel distractions tweeted from relatively newer agents. (The actual MSWL website seems more reliable in terms of what agents are seeking.)

Katelyn has a very low request rate according to query tracker. Less than 1% in most genres (and in SF, 0%) except in YA where she requests ~5%. Hester--congrats on the request for a full!

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
@Morning Rainbow, go for it!!! You might break the trend :). Good luck!!!!!!!

Corvid

~
Registered
Reaction score
This makes me wonder: What typically happens in a situation like this, when an agent leaves suddenly and unexpectedly? In this case it seems to be a mental health situation, but I'm sure it can happen for a myriad of reasons. Is it normal for other people at the agency to come up with a solution, or are the authors left high and dry?

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
This makes me wonder: What typically happens in a situation like this, when an agent leaves suddenly and unexpectedly? In this case it seems to be a mental health situation, but I'm sure it can happen for a myriad of reasons. Is it normal for other people at the agency to come up with a solution, or are the authors left high and dry?

I would think it depends on the agency. Here is my experience, with that question AND with D4EO Literary Agency.

I was agented once upon a time (Early 2013 - mid 2014), and my agent was new to the agency she was with. We did our edits, and then she started submitting my first novel. Before she could sell it, she decided to quit being an agent, after having already sent the novel to all the bigger publishers--but she had not exhausted her list yet.

Right afterward, I was told by the head of the same agency that she thought my novel deserved another round of subs to some smaller pubs and asked if she could send it out, and I gave her permission to go ahead. This was in April of 2014.

Fast forward to the end of May, and I had written a memoir and a proposal for it. As per the head agent's request, I sent her the proposal only, but not the full memoir, to see what she thought. I heard nothing, so I bumped her at the end of June. She did not respond, so in mid July I asked her to stop pitching the first novel, and I told her I was going to try to find an agent that would take on both projects. She wrote back that she hadn't even submitted the first novel to anyone new even though I had given her permission in April!

She agreed not to submit it anywhere until she had a chance to look at the new project and decide if she wanted to rep me (and *all* of my work), or not, and she asked for the full memoir, but with the understanding that I was to begin querying agents with the new project.

Funny enough, in mid-August, Bob Diforio asked if he could send the memoir to a publisher that he thought might be interested. He did *not* offer to rep me--he said it was a one shot deal. After a polite back and forth with the head agent, when I discovered she still had not bothered to take a look at my new work, I decided to let him give it a shot, and I officially severed ties with the old agency.

And...the submission Mr. Diforio sent out ended up in a rejection, unfortunately. I kept querying the project until I'd exhausted my list of agencies, but I was never able to find a new agent for that memoir. I then sent it to a bunch of small presses, with still no luck, so it's now trunked.

I did however find a small press for that first novel, and this past spring I began querying my third book, another novel, so wish me luck in my agent search. Hopefully the third time's the charm.

Last edited:

RoseDG

Registered
Reaction score
Barbara, the post you replied to is from 2005. Current discussion of this agency is about its stability since authors are leaving them seemingly due to Weronika Janczuk.

I was considering querying Katelyn Uplinger when she opens to submissions, but now I'm not sure. Has anyone had (or heard of) issues with this agency beyond those with Weronika?

Katelyn is my agent and she's fantastic.

Wizera

MG/YA Author and Playwright
Registered
Reaction score
It appears that Pam Pho and Megan Manzano have spun off to form a new agency: https://www.stevenliterary.com/agents

I queried Megan at D4EO (MG fantasy) on 11/1/22, and got a rejection from Steven Literary on 11/4/22.