• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Display site] Slush Pile Reader

SDBmania

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scottdavidbrown.com
I just came across this site thanks to myspace and I was curious about what you guys and gals think about it. It sounds like a neat idea.

Basically, readers read 50 pages of a submitted novel to the site. Then the readers vote on their favorites. The manuscripts that get the most votes are then published by slushpile and marketed as well.

A number of questions come up. It sounds good, but it is a new organization. Which makes me wonder how much marketing power they have? It seems like a legitimate site and it's not quite ready yet. But, once its finished, I think it would be interesting to see what happens. I don't think there is much risk in submitting, they claim you keep you copyright to your work(they won't register it) and will want exclusive printing rights I assume. There will probably be some kind of contract once your manuscript is chosen, if it is.

Anyway, here is a link: http://www.slushpilereader.com/default.asp
Take a look and tell me what you think. I've actually just finished my second manuscript and am editing it while we speak. I'm not sure I'm going to participate in this, but I just may since it does sound interesting.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
sounds pretty assinine to me. But that's just an opinion.

ETA: Some crackpot without talent could get 100 friends to vote on his. You know what...even that scenario aside...it is, in my opinion quite stupid and I wouldn't give it the time of day.

SDBmania

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scottdavidbrown.com
Thanks for your thoughts. It could either work well or fall flat. Still, it would require a lot of people reading the stories and voting. Let's say only a handful of people vote. It wouldn't give me a lot of confidence.

Still, any positive feedback is nice to have, even if the site doesn't work out.

I'm still going to look for a legit literary agent for sure. Editing will take a while anyway.

Ziljon

Tortilla di Patate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daviddepalo.com
I don't think it sounds so assinine. The site itself seems well made and honest. It isn't full of advertising garbage. There aren't any fees, and nothing is promised.

Seems that it may be for real.

Maybe a place for that trunk novel eh? Better than in the trunk. Who knows...

SDBmania

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scottdavidbrown.com
That was my first impression, Ziljon.

I'll probably, like I may have already said, still query my manuscript to literary agents once I finish editing it.

But, I am kind of anxious to see what becomes of this slushpile site.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
And, if it all works out, you get published by SlushPile? No thanks.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
sounds pretty assinine to me. But that's just an opinion.

ETA: Some crackpot without talent could get 100 friends to vote on his. You know what...even that scenario aside...it is, in my opinion quite stupid and I wouldn't give it the time of day.

Oh, that's pretty harsh, asinine?

Absurd, half-baked, daft, demented, ridiculous, silly maybe. But asinine? Hardly.

SDBmania

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scottdavidbrown.com
It's about deciding if the risk is worth it.

My main concern about their Marketing still stands. I think that even if you do get picked as the most popular story, I don't know if they have the marketing power.

The site could either do well or flop, as I have said before, I wanted to make sure some of us were watching the site to see what develops. I know I will be.

Still, the concept seems cool, having your worked judged by average people before that of a publisher or agent. Still, it's no guarentee.
((Sorry, dont have spellcheck on this PC)).

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds sort of like First Chapters, but without a big name publisher behind it. I'd be wary to enter without seeing the terms of the contract. They claim it will be based on the Author's Guild model contract, but that still makes me a little nervous. "Based on" doesn't mean "good for the writer" in the end.

Also, the web site is run out of Norway, FWIW.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see the point of getting published by them, unless they have significant distribution beyond the readers of the site. It completely blows any prospect of getting an agent or publisher for that work.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, it looks like they reorganized in Oct '09 and just went "live" again. It'll be interesting to see what gets published and how.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.slushpilereader.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=8&func=view&catid=14&id=425#425

The second comment....uh yeah, no. Anyone who knows anything about slushpiles knows they're 95-98% crap. I'm not interested in wasting my time reading tons of crap in hoping to find something readable, and I don't think there are many out there who would either. Especially for free. Those who do read the slushpiles should be getting paid more for reading it! lol

I don't remember who basically said this, but I believe it's true: If display sites actually worked, there wouldn't be so many trying to fill a market (especially one that doesn't exist).